PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Linux version?

Smizack
08-30-2002, 09:13 PM
Mine is for RH7.2 or 7.3 so far.

JBELL
08-30-2002, 10:00 PM
Mandrake - only thingI have used so far.

sjohnson
08-31-2002, 04:35 AM
For a desktop distro, I prefer any of Slackware, Debian or SuSe. Mandrake and RH are easier for "generic" users than Slackware or Debian. SuSe is very easy but isn't free on CD (ftp installs are, though).

For my firewall/router I use ClarkConnect. Turns an old P200 box into a very capable router with a lot of security features and an active forum. It beats any commercial router hands down! Plus, you can run the F@H linux console, setup a personal email server, web page server, what have you server on your router. Try to do that, LinkSys!

DeadHeart
09-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Slackware all the way! :D I'm going to try Gentoo soon.. looks great!

DeadHeart

Smizack
09-20-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by DeadHeart
Slackware all the way! :D I'm going to try Gentoo soon.. looks great!

DeadHeart

I tried updating to slackware 8.1, but something keeps messin up, and it kills the install. I just wanted to update for kde 3.0.1 tho.;)

SuSEQ
09-23-2002, 10:46 PM
As for a desktop machine, I prefer my SuSE distro... It installs, normally doesn't leave much to the user as for configuration; all is set when you boot for the first time.

For a server, I'd go Debian, or Gentoo.

Gr, SuSEQ

IFMU
09-23-2002, 10:54 PM
Personally, at this point. I cant stand any version of Linux. I have tried several times. Each time I get errors beyond what any normal human gets. It tries to kill my scsi drive. It doesnt like my keyboards and mice. I have tried numerous times and each time it has been nothing but a hassle.
I have even tried getting someone to help me out and they either dont know, or tell me how to fix it as if I was the freakin maker of Linux.
"Hello?! Linux Freakin MORON here.... "
Now, if I asked for help, and had that... would you tell me how to go in and edit the root kernel? f**k no. Gawd this crap ticks me off.........

Well I plan on TRYING to learn Linux RH valhalla at some point. So I can set up discless clients hopefully to run F@H.

Maybe some day.... :D

titan386
10-12-2002, 02:09 PM
I like red hat for desktops, and slackware for servers. I've heard great things about debian too (althougth its more advanced). Someday I hope to try it.

routehero
10-12-2002, 03:32 PM
Linux is terrible for any servers. You should seriously consider not using it and moving to something more robust like FreeBSD.

titan386
10-12-2002, 06:59 PM
Terrible? Ever try a 24/7 game server off of win ME? Then you'll see terrible.

Smizack
10-12-2002, 07:37 PM
We have 4 linux servers. Wouldn't think of using winblows as a server...

TheDude
11-04-2003, 01:08 PM
I finally broke down and bought the SuSe CDs and am using it right now. I have a lot to learn, but so far I am loving it! It's a tight, clean, fast OS! :D

Teus
11-04-2003, 02:52 PM
working atm with ClarkConnect, a routing distro based on Red Hat. console only :eek:

what's the easiest linux distro, Mandrake? I've tried to work with SuSe but didn't get internet working. I've also got Knoppix here in case of an emergency. I'll get a second machine+screen here soon so I'll give it another try :)

TheDude
11-04-2003, 03:13 PM
I don't know which is easiest since this is the only flavor I have tried. It took me a while to get my interent connection up on my home network and setup my mail. I'm still stumbling around quite a bit but am determined to learn it.

Teus
11-04-2003, 03:17 PM
as both the router as client will operate under Linux networking with SuSe should get okay.

the most important advise for beginners: the command 'man' and google. I've already learned how to configure my router's Samba and FTP service with users :)

sjohnson
11-04-2003, 05:10 PM
With care, you can merge the ClarkConnect router config and utils with most any distro.

They're working toward a "black box" distro that will plug into most 'nix, including SPARC and Power PC.

thetruememphis
11-04-2003, 06:33 PM
suse linux for me.

Ulfar
11-05-2003, 05:52 AM
gentoo and debian for me, but im gona try slackware soon.

TheDude
11-05-2003, 06:03 AM
Is there anyone willing to act as tech support for SuSe 8.2 if I spring for the phone bill? USA of course:D
I tried their free support and got exactly what I paid for. :mad:
At first they wouldn't even speak to me because I am on a home network and they don't support that. They finally said they would work with me via email since I have 5 other machines working on my network, so it's safe to assume the problem is not with my network. Their email support takes a couple of days for a response. Anyway, I managed to resolve my connection problems on my own and just have some general questions about how to preform updates, etc. I would rather do it by phone than here because it's just so much easier.
If there is anyone willing to do this, please PM me.

faruquehabib
11-25-2003, 04:47 PM
where can i find a free linux os?

TheDude
11-25-2003, 05:15 PM
Just Google the distro you want, like this:
http://www.redhat.com/download/howto_download.html

Have fun....try SuSe ;)

IFMU
11-25-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by faruquehabib
where can i find a free linux os?
http://linuxiso.org/
Or you can go there and choose from any of those.

amd3001
12-17-2003, 03:05 PM
i vote for mandrake but after a few months i might change to
gentoo..

makatee
12-19-2003, 10:18 AM
Gentoo is my only OS that i have ever really ben happy with....all of the systems that i actually use only run it and the systems that bench, dual boot.

Johnny Knoxvill
12-24-2003, 07:18 AM
i use redhat, but they're all crap for desktop use, the linux kernel and applications need a few more years to evolve.

sjohnson
12-24-2003, 08:17 AM
Applications, yah they might need some more work.

The kernel? lol it's in great shape, much more efficient and robust than what's coming out of Redmond.

Johnny Knoxvill
12-30-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by sjohnson

The kernel? lol it's in great shape, much more efficient and robust than what's coming out of Redmond.

it is, but i can't wait for 2.6, that's gonna be something.

Dud3!
01-21-2004, 09:33 AM
I vote Slackware. I have 9.1 and I love it! Going to the 2.6.1 kernel in a couple days.

RichBa5tard
02-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Gentoo all the way. Way faster than other distro's (especially if you got a non P3-P4 cpu), extremely flexible and I love the installing system (emerge). All my computers run Gentoo since a month or two, even my gaming rig. :)