PDA

View Full Version : 3D erotic comedy Sex and Zen breaks Hong Kong record

xytrius
04-22-2011, 05:48 PM
From the BBC:

A 3D erotic comedy has taken the Hong Kong box office by storm, beating the first-day record set by Hollywood blockbuster Avatar.

Sex and Zen: Extreme Ecstasy took HK$2.78m (£219,000) on its first day last week, compared to James Cameron's epic which earned HK$2.63m (£207,000).

The film has now taken HK$17m (£1.34m) in the five days since its release.

Takings have been boosted by an influx of viewers travelling from mainland China where it is not being screened.

Sex and Zen - a remake of a 1991 Hong Kong movie by the same name - tells the story of a sexually frustrated scholar in ancient China who loses himself in the harem of a duke he befriends.

The Cantonese production features Japanese :banana::banana::banana::banana: stars Hara Saori and Suo Yukiko and Hong Kong actress Vonnie Liu.

In Taiwan, the film also earned TWD$17m (£360,000) in its opening weekend - the best for a Chinese-language movie in Taiwan this year, producer Stephen Shiu said.

As China does not have a film ratings system - enabling movie-goers of any age to see any film - it bans erotic content in cinemas.

It is not the first time mainland viewers have travelled to Hong Kong to evade censorship by Chinese authorities.

Many crossed over to watch the uncut version of Oscar-winning Taiwanese director Ang Lee's sexually explicit 2007 spy thriller Lust, Caution.

Source:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13140810

I thought this deserved space in the news section, but did not think it would be allowed!:)

Judaeus Apella
04-22-2011, 11:29 PM
LOL! It was only a matter of time. I was starting to wonder when the :banana::banana::banana::banana: industry would catch on to the whole 3D craze.

I can't stand 3D though, kills my eyes. Tried out one of those newfangled 3D TV's at Best Buy. All it did is hurt my eyes and give me a slight headache. I also tried a 3D camera they also had on display... that REALLY killed my eyes! I really hope all the best movies don't start being all made in 3D. I can't stand that crap. I never understood how 3D was more realistic anyway. Doesn't look anything like real life. just pictures jumping out at you. I'll take the norm over 3D any day.

xytrius
04-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Is the discomfort because of the glasses? Glasses make me think that that the current 3D technology is transitory; 3D without glasses seems to be around the corner (according to some reports).

Judaeus Apella
04-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Yeah, glasses. But the camera isn't. They have it at best buy. Its probably online, go look at their site.

PaganII
04-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Inability to see 3D is often a sign of undiagnosed eye problems.
Take the test.

http://www.eldergadget.com/seniors/cheap-easy-way-to-test-your-3d-vision