PDA

View Full Version : Is it a video card or monitor issue?

little_scrapper
04-21-2011, 10:29 AM
I didnt get much responce when i first posted so I am posting a poll because everyone likes poles (espesially my wife :D) :ROTF:

The problem is that sometimes when I "wake" the computer or even from cold boot, instead of the power LED on the monitor going from orange to green and coming on, it will "almost completely go out and the monitor has to be unplugged before it will work. :shrug:

backing up a bit in time, when I built this new computer (reference sig) I accidently unplugged and replugged the digital video cable while everything was powered ON. Did this damage the monitor is what i am wondering.

Has anyone experienced this? At this point i'm just waiting for something to fail so i can swap out some equipment. Dont know what else to do. So let me know what you guys think happened.

_geek_
04-21-2011, 01:52 PM
My vote goes for the monitor. Which cable (HDMI, DVI,...) are you using? And which model is your acer 22"?

Sparky
04-21-2011, 02:04 PM
You won't damage anything by unplugging the DVI cable when stuff is on.

Sounds to me like the power supply in the monitor is having fits. It turns on and something spikes causing it to go into OCP or OVP which is why it requires the power to be completely pulled.

If you were closer I'd see if the thing was repairable for you. I'm currently typing this on my work PC (just about ready to leave the office) and both monitors on it are ones that I've repaired. I pick up dead LCD monitors every so often and repair them to either resell or give away.