PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions guys.

zedane
04-20-2011, 06:38 PM
I currently have a setup with 2x mcr320 rads inside my CM ATCS 840. The top mounted rad is exhausting the air out whereas the second rad, which is mounted vertically inside the case along the 5.25" and HDD drives bays, is blowing air towards the motherboard.

Right now, my rig only has 1 main intake which is the front panel 230mm fan.

I was wondering if setting the top mounted rad to intake would improve temps? I'm worried that the air flow in this case would "clash" and temps would build up.
Here is a picture which might aid you in understanding my situation.

Thanks in advance guys :up:

Utnorris
04-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Temps on the water cooling side would probably improve slightly, but anything needing air cooling might get worse slightly. That being said, it looks like you have all the heat producers water cooled other than say your hard drives, so I would make both rads intakes and not worry about it.

CrazyNutz
04-20-2011, 06:51 PM
You will build positive pressure in your case if you have both rads blowing in. This will not be very efficient, and may hurt your temps more then the warm air
moving through your top rad. You want the air to flow as freely as possible through you case.

Now that being said, you could mod/put fans, or a big 200/220/240mm fan on the side blowing out, with your rads blowing in and you should be all good:up:

zedane
04-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Temps on the water cooling side would probably improve slightly, but anything needing air cooling might get worse slightly. That being said, it looks like you have all the heat producers water cooled other than say your hard drives, so I would make both rads intakes and not worry about it.

Right!:up: Thanks for your fast input.

zedane
04-20-2011, 07:04 PM
You will build positive pressure in your case if you have both rads blowing in. This will not be very efficient, and may hurt your temps more then the warm air
moving through your top rad. You want the air to flow as freely as possible through you case.

Now that being said, you could mod/put fans, or a big 200/220/240mm fan on the side blowing out, with your rads blowing in and you should be all good:up:

hmmm now thats looking at it from a different angle. I don't plan on adding fans to the side panel as it is nicely built with a mid section window panel.

How about having 1 or 2 of the 120mm fan on the top mounted rad to act as intake, leaving the last 1 or 2 as output, vice-versa?

Would like more inputs! Thanks guys.

BrokenArrow
04-20-2011, 07:06 PM
The general rule is always pull cold air through the radiator. This has been shown numerous times even with all the usual claims of positive air pressure, hot air rising to top of case, etc.

Try it and see if it helps for "your particular" situation.

zedane
04-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Seeing that my loop only has

1)5970 gfx
2)i7-930 cpu
3)x58a UD7 FB block(soon to come)

Are my MCR320s sufficient? I was thinking of upgrading to 2x GTX360 but that would cost more money and might not warrant much of a temp difference with only those component in the loop.

Also i was thinking of putting all my rad in a push pull config. Any feedback on this?

Utnorris
04-23-2011, 08:33 PM
That's plenty rad for decent temps. Unless your are hurting temps wise, meaning they are holding you back from pushing a particular piece of gear, I would stick with what you have.

zedane
04-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Just had a thought.

If i were to get some nice PCIE exhaust blower(UV reactive?) onto my unused slot, would that solve the positive air pressure building up inside the case?

m0r7if3r
04-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Just had a thought.

If i were to get some nice PCIE exhaust blower(UV reactive?) onto my unused slot, would that solve the positive air pressure building up inside the case?

generally speaking, those little PCI squirrel cage fans are complete junk.

zedane
04-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Alright thanks for the input.

I can't seem to find much information regarding those exhaust blowers.:(

SNiiPE_DoGG
04-28-2011, 08:28 PM
You want positive pressure in the case. It prevents dust from entering through non filtered holes in the case, so all you need to do is filter the fans and you have a well defined place to keep clean instead of having to clean every nook and cranny of your case.

zedane
04-28-2011, 09:41 PM
You want positive pressure in the case. It prevents dust from entering through non filtered holes in the case, so all you need to do is filter the fans and you have a well defined place to keep clean instead of having to clean every nook and cranny of your case.

Ah i see... sounds logical. Will try that out :D

Will probably also get a higher cfm fan for exhaust so as to dump the heated air(coming through the radiator) out of the casing(at the same time still maintaining positive air flow).

thanks!