PDA

View Full Version : When will we see higher resolutions?

crazy1323
04-20-2011, 09:36 AM
When do you guys think we will start to see higher resolutions for PC monitors. It seems like the 30" 2650 X 1600 is the largest you can go for a while.

I am not looking for physically larger monitors, but instead more pixel density.

Frag Maniac
04-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Honestly there wouldn't be enough of a market for it to justify the production costs, esp when you consider current GPUs are more suited to no higher res than what is currently available.

zanzabar
04-20-2011, 07:48 PM
we wont see any increase for a while if at all since there is little demand for high rez and most of the demand for panels is 1080p for laptops or 32" or larger. we may see more 23-25" ips but i doubt over 1080p and i doubt we will see ips 16:10 come back. so we are in the spot like when crts stopped were u can only downgrade.

[XC] Synthetickiller
04-21-2011, 04:53 PM
I've seen enough QuadHD news for years. 3,840 x 2,160 would be awesome, but we won't be seeing that for years and years and years.

demonkevy666
04-22-2011, 07:36 AM
it won't happen with mutli-monitors now they're moving away from single large screens to more smaller screens.

Bobsama
04-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Synthetickiller;4824205']I've seen enough QuadHD news for years. 3,840 x 2,160 would be awesome, but we won't be seeing that for years and years and years.

I'd love a QuadHD monitor. The thing that pisses me off is that all computer monitors resolutions have been taking a step back. Where 1680x1050 used to rule, now it's 1600x900. When 1280x1024 used to rule, it's now 1366x768. :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing hell we've had access to 1280x1024 for over a decade and we've STILL not seriously moved beyond?

Frag Maniac
04-22-2011, 02:47 PM
LOL, I'm still playing on a 22" (20" viewable) Dell Trinitron 4:3 CRT. It has the flexibility to play any AR and has tight enough pixel pitch at 1600x1200 to equal that of a 2560x1600 30". Of course there's 0 input lag and ghosting too. That being said, I've been wanting to go widescreen IPS for some time, but I want to make sure it's a good one. I'm not sure anything in a TV will be satisfactory regarding the pixel pitch alone. I'm seriously considering a U2711.

[XC] Synthetickiller
04-23-2011, 07:28 AM
LOL, I'm still playing on a 22" (20" viewable) Dell Trinitron 4:3 CRT. It has the flexibility to play any AR and has tight enough pixel pitch at 1600x1200 to equal that of a 2560x1600 30". Of course there's 0 input lag and ghosting too. That being said, I've been wanting to go widescreen IPS for some time, but I want to make sure it's a good one. I'm not sure anything in a TV will be satisfactory regarding the pixel pitch alone. I'm seriously considering a U2711.

I've never had issues w/ my NEC 30" IPS. Been a great monitor. Had it over a year. Only issue is that once you go that large, anything, even a 27", feels like a downgrade. You've been warned. :p:

I have a lacie blue 22" that's 2048x1536. I never use it, I have no room, lol. I should really set that up and see how it looks. The pixel density is higher on that monitor than anything I've seen since. 4:3 is a step back in time, but I might really enjoy it, lol. I guess I have a 3rd project for the weekend. :clap:

Source
04-23-2011, 08:26 AM
we wont see any increase for a while if at all since there is little demand for high rez and most of the demand for panels is 1080p for laptops or 32" or larger. we may see more 23-25" ips but i doubt over 1080p and i doubt we will see ips 16:10 come back. so we are in the spot like when crts stopped were u can only downgrade.Some are still making the 16:10 IPS panels, Dell for example.

Frag Maniac
04-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Some are still making the 16:10 IPS panels, Dell for example.Yeah the U2410 is 1920x1200 isn't it? Be nice if they refine it to be more like the U2711 as far as IQ goes, which lacks the static dithering the U2410 has.

Source
04-24-2011, 04:24 AM
Have not noticed any static dithering so far, have the monitor for almost a year now.
Have Revision A02.

Still true that there are less and less IPS panels with 16:10 ratio.
As far as I know, Dell only has the U2410 and U3011 with this ratio, might missed one.

The HP ZR24W also have 1920x1200 (16:10) as resolution, plus a S-IPS panel.

Frag Maniac
04-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Have not noticed any static dithering so far...It's said to be noticeable when viewing dark grey in the sRGB and Adobe RGB presets. What was more disconcerting to me though is I read in one very detailed review that in Game mode, which is the only mode that gives you acceptable input lag levels, it exhibits noticeable color saturation, because in that mode the color processing is turned off to keep lag low. Some may not notice that or even prefer it. I hate overly saturated colors though, I like them to look real, not cartoonish like Samsung TVs.

zanzabar
04-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Some are still making the 16:10 IPS panels, Dell for example.

ive only seen legacy and studio quality, i have not seen newer enthusiast/office/graphic design monitors that are 16:10.

Serra
04-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Actually I think we'll be seeing it before too long. We're already seeing the first monitors coming out with the new "4K" resolution, and Onkyo has been upgrading their receivers with upscaling chips that will upscale from 1080p to 4k... definitely movement in the entertainment industry. I wouldn't say you should watch for it this year, but it won't be 10 years out or anything like that. In theory monitors should likely hit the upgrade before mainstream TV's.

Source
04-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Have not noticed any static dithering so far, have the monitor for almost a year now.
Have Revision A02.

Still true that there are less and less IPS panels with 16:10 ratio.
As far as I know, Dell only has the U2410 and U3011 with this ratio, might missed one.

The HP ZR24W also have 1920x1200 (16:10) as resolution, plus a S-IPS panel.
Never use the gamingmode myself.

Have the standard presets calibrated and those work fine.
Play FPS/RTS with it, no problem about input lag. (MP&SP)

Manicdan
04-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Actually I think we'll be seeing it before too long. We're already seeing the first monitors coming out with the new "4K" resolution, and Onkyo has been upgrading their receivers with upscaling chips that will upscale from 1080p to 4k... definitely movement in the entertainment industry. I wouldn't say you should watch for it this year, but it won't be 10 years out or anything like that. In theory monitors should likely hit the upgrade before mainstream TV's.

agree ^

once we start seeing more blu-rays offering a 4k option, TVs will need to start converting, and so will the rest of the world

i think we are 3-5 years away from 4k consumer options

Frag Maniac
04-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Never use the gamingmode myself.

Have the standard presets calibrated and those work fine.
Play FPS/RTS with it, no problem about input lag. (MP&SP)Yeah I think it's at around 34ms input lag with gaming mode off. Maybe I'm a bit too worried about that, some don't notice lag in up to the mid 30ms range, but it's nice to have a lower lag option without tradeoffs if it IS noticeable to the purchaser.

At 28ms with game mode turned on, the U2711 isn't drastically faster, but it might be enough to make the difference between being noticeable or not for some, and it IS big enough to use as an all purpose display, whereas with the U2410 I'd have to mount it to an articulating arm on my desk and put a TV behind it, which is more expensive and cluttered overall.
...i think we are 3-5 years away from 4k consumer optionsIf it weren't for the expensive display tech necessary to facilitate that high a res, it might even be feasible for a fair number of them to hit the mainstream market. Being as it's taking Blu-ray itself so long to supersede DVD though, I really seriously doubt ultra high res will be available in anything but very small and expensive elitist market niches for some time.

crazy1323
04-25-2011, 05:52 PM
I think it will be much longer before we see consumer video with 4K resolution. There is simply no need for that resolution. Even with the largest consumer displays it is hard to notice a difference between 720P and 1080P if you are more than about 10-12 feet away.

I just cannot see a benefit of going much higher in resolution for consumer video as we are beginning to be limited by the ability of the human eye. 4K provides an advantage when being used on large displays in commercial cinemas.

PaganII
05-05-2011, 05:25 AM
DLP projector is ~2000x faster than a fast LCD monitor. Even a small projector screen makes Eyefinity/Surround seem like peaking through window blinds. For the cost of 1 of the 30" LCDs you could get 2 3D projectors. Screen measured in feet/meters instead of inches. And the projector is portable too!

TheCarLessDriven
08-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Some of you saying we wont see higher res standards for a " long long time" are a little off. Lots of companies and people are pushing 4k heavily right now. James Cameron is pushing it as well. 2 years ago there was a company with a quad HDTV at CES playing quad hd material. So its only closer to be another standard now. It will come within the next 6 years easily.

zanzabar
08-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Some of you saying we wont see higher res standards for a " long long time" are a little off. Lots of companies and people are pushing 4k heavily right now. James Cameron is pushing it as well. 2 years ago there was a company with a quad HDTV at CES playing quad hd material. So its only closer to be another standard now. It will come within the next 6 years easily.

considering that ok lcds are only 6-8 years old, another 6 years is a long time IMO. and by the time we get quad lcd will be dead and we will have amoled for the good stuff.

Erklat
08-26-2011, 11:32 AM
considering that ok lcds are only 6-8 years old, another 6 years is a long time IMO. and by the time we get quad lcd will be dead and we will have amoled for the good stuff.

Yup, I concur. I don't think anyone is too keen on developing fundamentally flawed technology.

Frag Maniac
08-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Some of you saying we wont see higher res standards for a " long long time" are a little off. Lots of companies and people are pushing 4k heavily right now. James Cameron is pushing it as well. 2 years ago there was a company with a quad HDTV at CES playing quad hd material. So its only closer to be another standard now. It will come within the next 6 years easily.Yeah and Sony pushed Betamax hard, look what happened to it. They jumped on Kodak's OLED tech and have so far only put out an 11" TV that is extremely overpriced. MS pushed HD DVD hard, look what happened to it. The vast majority of inventions, even if patented, never make it.

The fact is we're still stuck in a rather daunting world recession. Blu-ray is still slowly creeping up on DVD with no predictable end as to when DVD will be entirely replaced. This is not at all a good time to be pushing 4k res products, especially when the rich and poor are already quickly becoming more and more polarized. It's not surprising James Cameron would be on that bandwagon though. He seems to live in his own little egocentric world. He's more interested in what sells his movies than what is good for the economy.

Before the recession hit displays were almost approaching a renaissance period. You could get IPS monitors in lots sizes from various vendors, and they were even trying to offer economy versions of IPS called eIPS on up to 21:9 HDTVs. Things have changed considerably since then. This year more than ever TV manufacturers have scaled down their product line, no longer offering 120Hz and other features in their smaller sets, some not even offering 1080p in the smaller sizes. They've also been shipping less product.

Manufacturers need to have some assurance there will be a sizable market for a product before they commit to mass production. Look at how slowly HD broadcasting was implemented, being pushed back twice in the US due to limited HDTV sales. Nice that some have enough to spend big bucks on 4k res gear, but they need to in their greedy moments look at the big picture.