PDA

View Full Version : [UK law question] bank opened account without my permission

Ket
04-18-2011, 08:42 AM
If theres anyone who works for a UK law firm who can provide some clarification it'll be appreciated :up:

Short story:

I closed my business accounts with Natwest because I have another business account and just didn't need the Natwest accounts anymore. Today I get a letter from Natwest "congratulating" me on opening a new business account. Of course I was like WFT Natwest can't just open new business accounts without my permission, but I need something clarified;

- I'm certain Natwest surely can't just open new business accounts without my permission but I need to know the ins and outs of the law in this regard. Every little detail possible, its not the first time Natwest has screwed up with me (they do it on a regular basis with me in fact) which is why I closed the business accounts in the first place and opened a business account elsewhere. Its surely unfathomable how Natwest have messed up something as simple as closing the accounts.

Scubar
04-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Just tell them they have made a mistake and to close the account immediately.

Unless of course you plan on taking legal action against them. which probably wouldnt be wise.

Cooper
04-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Why not call the bank or visit closest branch yourself ?

SoulsCollective
04-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Not worth your time getting legal advice. A simple phone call is all that's needed here, unless they do something like try and charge you fees for the new account or something. Also add that you're concerned about your privacy and their access to your personal details now that you no longer wish to do business with them, that usually gets people moving.

Serra
04-18-2011, 11:53 AM
I'd get that closed ASAP and inquire what prompted it to be opened. Based on what you said, I'd be more concerned that it wasn't your bank that decided to open the account, but rather people using your information to open an account which they will have access to. A surprising amount of that goes on for money laundering / collection, particularly as pertains to money stolen or illegally generated on the Internet.

MadHacker
04-18-2011, 01:19 PM
i don't know how banks are in UK
but here in Canada, open a business account and you get $1000 line of credit with it.
if someone using your credentials opened the account... they may have spent the $1000...
call the bank.

Stewie007
04-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Just a mistake. Happens all the time regardless of where you are.

Ket
04-18-2011, 06:38 PM
If I could close these accounts with a phone call I would. Natwest makes you waste time going down to them. I think I have all the details I need now anyway, just debating if I should just let it be and wave the paperwork under their noses saying I closed the accounts if they try to claim I suddenly owe them (Natwest charges if you even simply have a business account open with them even if its never used) or if I can be arsed to go down and give some people a swift kick up the backside.

shoota
04-21-2011, 06:31 AM
If I could close these accounts with a phone call I would. Natwest makes you waste time going down to them. I think I have all the details I need now anyway, just debating if I should just let it be and wave the paperwork under their noses saying I closed the accounts if they try to claim I suddenly owe them (Natwest charges if you even simply have a business account open with them even if its never used) or if I can be arsed to go down and give some people a swift kick up the backside.

how about option c) none of the above.
Just go down there, close the account and be nice about it.

Stewie007
04-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Why people seem to think its all right to yell at someone for a mistake that is so easily correctable is beyond me........

MadHacker
04-21-2011, 09:25 AM
the thing is usually your not yelling at the person that created the problem in the first place.
just some poor teller that knows nothing about the problem initially and is only doing their best to fix it.

defect9
04-21-2011, 02:12 PM
the thing is usually your not yelling at the person that created the problem in the first place.
just some poor teller that knows nothing about the problem initially and is only doing their best to fix it.

+1

having worked in the service industry (not banking, but still, customer/client service), I can say I really hated when people would take their frustrations out on me just because I 'was a representative of X company', when it wasnt me who messed up.

Don't be that guy. if you're nice about it, they'll be more apt to help you. if you're a :banana::banana::banana::banana:, well, they'll do just enough to get you out the door.

Stewie007
04-21-2011, 04:54 PM
People that get mad usually get less. In this case there really isn't anything to gain, but people are less helpful to the rude person. I've gotten lots of free stuff that those angry people don't get just by being nice. I remember when I was having trouble with Onstar (when I had it back when it was free, hehehe). I had to wait and it was definitely an inconvenience; I had plenty to do. I however was patient, calm and made sure the person on the other side knew I was appreciative of their help. I got 2 hours free talk time and an extra month of turn by turn navigation free.

Mean people don't get freebies. They just get a solution that usually takes longer (more hold time because they're jerks), and walk away thinking they did just great. However, I got freebies. That's just one example. :)

Of course, in this case there probably aren't any freebies, but still.....

little_scrapper
04-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Just take a bunch of road flares and tape them around your midsection with a red and black wire (twisted pair) daisy chained to the top of each road flare and then ask them if they are going to close the account or not. Just tell them that you didnt open the account and that if the issue isnt taken care of directly you will be VERY DISSAPOINTED!

I really dont think there are any laws that forbid you to wear road flares as a fashion statement.

LordEC911
04-24-2011, 04:48 AM
Just a mistake. Happens all the time regardless of where you are.

Not opening up a new account.
The hassle someone went through, whether it was someone that stole his identity or a worker, is a lot more than you think.

TJ TRICHEESE
04-24-2011, 05:04 AM
Just take a bunch of road flares and tape them around your midsection with a red and black wire (twisted pair) daisy chained to the top of each road flare and then ask them if they are going to close the account or not. Just tell them that you didnt open the account and that if the issue isnt taken care of directly you will be VERY DISSAPOINTED!

I really dont think there are any laws that forbid you to wear road flares as a fashion statement.

Now that is possibly the best thing you could do in such a situation :rofl: