PDA

View Full Version : Dell UltraSharp U2711 27"

M31
04-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Hi all, not been on for a while.

I'm looking to upgrade my current Iiyama ProLite B2712HDS 27" monitor to something a little better, not looking for a bigger screen size, just better quality.

Despite the brand name I like whoever makes Dell's screens, I've still got one of their 2405 24" LCD's on a second comp.

Its an expensive screen, res of 2560x1440 ... Heck its this one here, wont be buying it from these people though ...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-041-DE&groupid=17&catid=1120&subcat=

I'd really like the Dell 30" of course, but some reviews put the image quality of this screen far above it ... I'm not to bothered about the card reader stuff, but the extra inputs and powered USB HUB's will be a bonus, just as it was on my Dell 2405.

I'm aware of the Hanns G screens, but no offence I don't want to go there, I know I could probably get two similar sized screens of theirs for the price of this one, just thought I'd ask this enthusiast group for opinions as well as elsewhere before I make my mind up, I've already got a buyer for my Iiyama 27" waiting in the wings to offset the cost of this monitor.

ATM the monitor will be driven by a single GTX 570 SC EVGA and I'm looking to maybe get one more for SLI, that would help at this screens resolution.

Thanks for any input.

Frag Maniac
04-16-2011, 07:07 PM
I'm actually keeping the U2711 in the back of my mind too. Originally I was thinking of going with a 32" IPS HDTV like a Panasonic, but I keep finding flaws in the models I've looked at so far. Here in the states you can regularly find the U2711 on eBay factory sealed in box for $839.

These monitors are indeed very good. I esp like how they have good black level and brightness, and still maintain good contrast without a washed out look. Every pic I've seem of them side by side with another monitor is a night and day difference.

One big plus too is if you buy one and only have a 560 or 570, they can do 1920x1080 at a fairly tight pixel pitch until you can get another GPU for 2560x1440.

M31
04-17-2011, 07:43 AM
I'm actually keeping the U2711 in the back of my mind too. Originally I was thinking of going with a 32" IPS HDTV like a Panasonic, but I keep finding flaws in the models I've looked at so far. Here in the states you can regularly find the U2711 on eBay factory sealed in box for $839.

These monitors are indeed very good. I esp like how they have good black level and brightness, and still maintain good contrast without a washed out look. Every pic I've seem of them side by side with another monitor is a night and day difference.

One big plus too is if you buy one and only have a 560 or 570, they can do 1920x1080 at a fairly tight pixel pitch until you can get another GPU for 2560x1440.

Thanks.

Although I cant actually test one, I've been around the block often enough to know when to read between the lines, practically everyone says the image quality is like night and day compared to similar sized screens, and its image quality I'm after ... I think I'm going to do it, just need to find the best dealer and price here in the UK.

Thanks again

Frag Maniac
04-17-2011, 01:00 PM
If it weren't for the fact that I need an all in one display for everything, including TV, it would be more tempting for me. I'm not sure I like the idea of buying a PC HDTV tuner either. If I were to get a cable TV subscription it wouldn't be an issue, but I can't really afford expenses like that every month. I'm also thinking 27" wouldn't really be big enough to take full advantage of Blu-ray.

I've actually considered $450 or so on something like a U2410, mounting it on an articulating arm on my desk, then putting a 37" or so TV behind it, but that's not only expensive but cluttered and complex.

Andrea deluxe
04-17-2011, 01:46 PM
i personally tryed an u2711 for 3 month....

is not a gaming monitor.... HUGE 35/50ms of input lag....

Frag Maniac
04-17-2011, 04:28 PM
i personally tryed an u2711 for 3 month....

is not a gaming monitor.... HUGE 35/50ms of input lag....Are you saying you returned it based solely on input lag? My guess is something other than the display was causing it if you think it was higher than 30ms. While I don't buy AnanadTech's 16ms ave finding, I do feel what most sites come up with in testing it (28-30ms) seems about right. You're the ONLY person after trying one I've seen claim it's "not a gaming monitor". Something's gotta be fishy on your end.

RacingTurtle
04-18-2011, 12:00 AM
I've had mine for a year or so, everyday use. Gaming, work, movies etc.
I upgraded from a Samsung 2494HS - the difference was unbelievable. Colours were amazingly sharp, less lag, resloution... I love my u2711. Input lag is such a subjective thing, it depends on so many variables that it's different for each person. Firsthand, I can say I dont notice it at all.

I didnt (or rather my wife wouldnt let me) buy it up front so I got the finance deal from Scan wich is quite good, makes it a litle easier than blowing £900 on a monior! I'd recommend this monitor everyday of the week.

Andrea deluxe
04-18-2011, 01:21 AM
Are you saying you returned it based solely on input lag? My guess is something other than the display was causing it if you think it was higher than 30ms. While I don't buy AnanadTech's 16ms ave finding, I do feel what most sites come up with in testing it (28-30ms) seems about right. You're the ONLY person after trying one I've seen claim it's "not a gaming monitor". Something's gotta be fishy on your end.

if you don't belive me.... buy a cheap LG W2363D 120Hz just for try....

your eyes drop on the floor....

check

http://www.cnet.com.au/dell-ultrasharp-u2711-339301091.htm

Input lag
Measured against a Samsung SyncMaster 975p CRT, and using a Canon 40D set to a shutter speed of 1/320, an average of over 60 photographs were taken using Virtual Stopwatch Pro. Things weren't so great for the U2711, clocking in at 33ms on average, which equates to about 2 frames. Unlike the U2410, switching to game mode did not reduce this in any way.

other:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/dell_u2711/input_lag.jpg

just for fun...

install MEDAL OF HONOR and move the mouse on the menu'.....Maximum frustration....

only the HP ZR30w is a averange 60hz gaming monitor....

Andrea deluxe
04-18-2011, 01:30 AM
edit

Frag Maniac
04-18-2011, 12:43 PM
I find it strange that both the article link and chart you use for examples, which between the two average about 31ms, show far less input lag than your 35-50ms claim.

The NEC EA232WMi seems to be a good value in a 23" IPS display for around $260, and is claimed to have only about 8ms input lag, but I'm skeptical about it's 14ms response having a claimed no noticeable ghosting or blurring when I read site and customer reviews.

There's no way I'll settle for a TN just to get faster response though. I need an all purpose display.

Andrea deluxe
04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
I find it strange that both the article link and chart you use for examples, which between the two average about 31ms, show far less input lag than your 35-50ms claim.

The NEC EA232WMi seems to be a good value in a 23" IPS display for around $260, and is claimed to have only about 8ms input lag, but I'm skeptical about it's 14ms response having a claimed no noticeable ghosting or blurring when I read site and customer reviews.

There's no way I'll settle for a TN just to get faster response though. I need an all purpose display.

trust me....

if you are a gamer take an LG 120hz...

Manicdan
04-18-2011, 01:16 PM
some gamers need fps and input lag, others like to enjoy games based on screen size, color quality and viewing angle can be important too

i dont see why its so hard to make a really nice 120hz monitor

SoulsCollective
04-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Having used both a 120HZ TN panel and a 60HZ IPS panel I'd take the IPS panel every day. 3D tech at present gives me a headache, so scratch that out, and while it's marginally smoother at very high FPS on the 120HZ TN this doesn't make up for :banana::banana::banana::banana:tier colours and viewing angles, IMHO.

Frag Maniac
04-18-2011, 05:59 PM
...while it's marginally smoother at very high FPS on the 120HZ TN this doesn't make up for :banana::banana::banana::banana:tier colours and viewing angles, IMHO.^ QFT, but that's the obvious part IMO, after all, 3D is so hyped anymore people are willing to seriously compromise what quality panel they'll accept just to get it.

Back on topic though and more to the point, the questions about how that somewhat suspect 35-50ms claim was arrived at regarding U2711 input lag has yet to be answered.

M31
04-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Interesting thoughts ... I'm not an extreme gamer just an extreme PC user that appreciates quality, however, I do love my flight sims ,,, and the action in these compared to shooter FPS games is much less frantic ... I'm sure the U2711 would be much better in this area than my current Iiyama 27"

I've also not decided yet, but looking to make a purchase by the end of this week ... but I might still be swayed with a Dell 30" LCD for the WoW factor (not the game, just WOWie) but everything I read tells me that great quality it is, the Dell U2711 is of even greater quality than the ageing 30" screen image wise.

Thanks again, the feedback here is invaluable.

BTW: I'm not interested in 3D screens at this point.

M31
04-19-2011, 01:11 PM
some gamers need fps and input lag, others like to enjoy games based on screen size, color quality and viewing angle can be important too

Bang on, this is where I'm at.

Frag Maniac
04-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Yeah the U2711 is showing to be better in may ways than the 30" displays. The reason I think 30" tech hasn't evolved much is it's a smaller niche market. At that price range they get mostly photo pros and such.

Don't forget pixel pitch too. At .233 pixel pitch, the U2711 has one of the tightest in the industry. In games where you need good long distance visibility that can make a big difference, esp when you consider some games don't support AA even forced through your GPU.

At 1600x1200 on my 21" CRT (20" viewable), the pixel pitch is .254, and I still get some noticeable jaggies in games that don't support AA. Those jaggies not only look ugly up close, they can appear as crawl at long distances, making it hard to determine whether you're seeing moving objects or not.

M31
04-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks all

I think I'm going to do it and just buy the Dell U2711 and be done with it ... I doubt my GTX570 SC will have any problems at this screens resolution, but I can always add one more if it proves to be a problem.

Thanks again ... great helpful feedback and it was much appreciated.

RacingTurtle
04-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Do it, you wont be disappointed.