PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Residue at top of res near water line

mav2000
04-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Hi,

I am using an EK cylinder res for the last year or so and recently, after stopping to use Biocide and using a silver piece as an anti microbial agent I saw some residue collecting at the top near the water line in the res.

I drained the loop and tried to clean the res, but the residue would just not come off. I tried with a brush as well, but that did not work either.

The res has been clear for quite a while and this happened only in the last month.

The changes that have happened over the last month are as follows:

1. Changed water from normal Distilled to Medical Deionised water - I think this could be the main cause

2. Used a silver 5 gram piece instead of my normal biocide. The silver was polished...could this be whats causing the problem?

3. Changed tubing from clear to black masterklear tubing - could it be platisizer?

Thanks for the help guys.

mav2000
04-14-2011, 02:35 AM
Hi,

I am using an EK cylinder res for the last year or so and recently, after stopping to use Biocide and using a silver piece as an anti microbial agent I saw some residue collecting at the top near the water line in the res.

I drained the loop and tried to clean the res, but the residue would just not come off. I tried with a brush as well, but that did not work either.

The res has been clear for quite a while and this happened only in the last month.

The changes that have happened over the last month are as follows:

1. Changed water from normal Distilled to Medical Deionised water - I think this could be the main cause

2. Used a silver 5 gram piece instead of my normal biocide. The silver was polished...could this be whats causing the problem?

3. Changed tubing from clear to black masterklear tubing - could it be platisizer?

Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT:

Here are some pics to clarify what I am trying to say:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5025/5618348199_6ea16895fc_b.jpg

This part was on the top first.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5070/5618348291_0e08d5705f_b.jpg

Then I turned the tube around and this is what has already happened in 4-5 days:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5222/5618934522_84299bdf87_b.jpg

Its a sticky residue...and thats why I think it may be plasticizer.

Now back in the loop...take a look. There are bubbles forming where the sticky residue was:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5305/5618934596_0c19289213_b.jpg

jumper2high
04-14-2011, 02:59 AM
Looks a lot like limescale or whatever you guys call that :).

I don't know how acrylic reacts to various home cleaner agents, but an anti-lime type of cleaner might do the trick.

I wouldn't clean the reservoir without trying it on something else first, though... :)

alatalo
04-14-2011, 03:03 AM
I had the same happen to me with white masterkleer tubing, after I switched to tygon tubing it never happened again, so it might be plasticizer leeching.

mav2000
04-14-2011, 04:43 AM
Ok tried cleaning it by first putting it in ketchup for about 20 minutes and then with a toothbrush...didnt work. Then had to use a small head screwdriver. Shows that its stuck on rpetty well and its very very difficult to remove.

Have ordered a new res cylinder as well as XSPC tubing..I hope that is much better than this crap masterkleer. The normal masterkleer never did that and I used it for over a year. And this black one is just not working for me. The stickness in the residue seems to confirm that its plastic residue more than anything else.

MadHacker
04-14-2011, 07:49 AM
i use CLR on my reservoir when it gets bad...
i only tear my loop down every couple years so it gets pretty bad.
CLR works fine and i have never had a problem with on the plexi.
just don't use it on your blocks :)

kinghong1970
04-14-2011, 08:46 AM
yep, seems you've got some hard water... you need a water softener for your home... else you'll find some issues with your dishwasher, faucets, shower heads, and the likes...

CLR soak should do it...

Sideroxylon
04-14-2011, 09:17 AM
yep, seems you've got some hard water... you need a water softener for your home... else you'll find some issues with your dishwasher, faucets, shower heads, and the likes...

CLR soak should do it...

He's using distilled/deionized water. It has nothing to do with his home's water supply. Looks like plasticizer to me also.

mav2000
04-14-2011, 10:28 AM
I am using distilled water
..like i sais in the first post, it could be one of three things. I also seem to have a white residue inside the tubing.

NaeKuh
04-14-2011, 10:30 AM
its platicizer buildup.

You probably didnt see it b4, because it was in solution.

As you drained, it deposited itself along the wall of your tube res.

Your tubing is also all cloudy too correct?

matari
04-14-2011, 11:27 AM
its platicizer buildup.

You probably didnt see it b4, because it was in solution.

As you drained, it deposited itself along the wall of your tube res.

Your tubing is also all cloudy too correct?

That is exactly what it is. Your CPU will have the same stuff on the pins.

NaeKuh
04-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Ok tried cleaning it by first putting it in ketchup for about 20 minutes and then with a toothbrush...didnt work. Then had to use a small head screwdriver. Shows that its stuck on rpetty well and its very very difficult to remove.

soaking it in hot water and letting it sit there for 10 min would of taken care of it.

Ketchup cleaning only works on metal, because of the acid eatting the oxidized layer.

u dont put it on anything else.. :rofl:

Screw driver to chizzle at it will cause acrylic to sratch.

A fix would be go out to an autostore and pick up the finest grit sp u can get.

2000 or higher if possible.

Then sand the area down.

Get a heat gun... if u dont have one.. hair dryer, although i dont know if it will work... go over sanded portion til it clears up.

:up:

coolhandluke41
04-14-2011, 01:48 PM
soak the tube in vinegar solution and wipe it off,finish with distiled water
pine-sol works too

mav2000
04-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys...looks like I will have to break down the system and work on it all over again. I just ordered some new tubing yesterday from XSPC. that should be better. I can see a white build up in the inside of my tubes as well.