PDA

View Full Version : Running 2 different pumps in series, adverse effect?

Cookiesowns
04-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Hello, as you know, one of my MCP355 burned out while running dual loops using the XSPC bay res.

SO now I'm left with a single pump and of course I don't want to risk running single pump anymore incase another burn out happens

Now that the MCP35x is out, I'll be picking one of them up. And since I'll be re-looping my system to run single loop, would a MCP35x and a MCP355 in series have any adverse effect?

Martinm210
04-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Not performance wise, mixed pumps work fine if they are similar.

The only issue I have seen is with noise, but it goes for any dual pumps. If the rpms are very close but off just slightly, you can get sort of an undulating noise harmonic. You just have to adjust speed of one pump to fix it.:up:

Vapor
04-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Hello, as you know, one of my MCP355 burned out while running dual loops using the XSPC bay res.

SO now I'm left with a single pump and of course I don't want to risk running single pump anymore incase another burn out happens

Now that the MCP35x is out, I'll be picking one of them up. And since I'll be re-looping my system to run single loop, would a MCP35x and a MCP355 in series have any adverse effect?Generally, as long as you don't exceed the max flow (and in turn, max power) rating of either pump, you'll be fine :)

With the 18W DDCs (MCP355/MCP35X), it gets a little hairy since they're rated for 18W (1.3-1.9GPM, with some variation depending on the top and general pump variation) and you can pass that pretty easily. That said, plenty of people run them past 18W just fine :up:

ScottALot
04-12-2011, 04:13 PM
If I had, say, an MCP655 and an MCP355, would it matter which order I put them in?

Aaronharmon
04-12-2011, 04:25 PM
If I had, say, an MCP655 and an MCP355, would it matter which order I put them in?

Personally, I'd put the pump with the highest head pressure in front of the most restrictive block. But truthfully it probably doesn't make a difference.

zanzabar
04-12-2011, 04:27 PM

the 355 is stronger so i would say put it second

Martinm210
04-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Probably the only thing you would want to watch on order is possible cavitation at the inlet side of the first pump. That's where negative pressure would be it's greatest.

I have seen cavitation on stock top DDC pumps and other high pressure setups that have inlet restriction. Just try to keep the reservoir or t-line close to the inlet of that first pump to relieve the negative pressure extents.

I have yet to see a D5 cavitate, probably because of the larger vanes in the impeller, so having the D5 first might make some sense. Either way, you can hear cavitation fairly easily. It's where negative pressure has become so great that the water boils for a moment, then the bubbles collapse back to water as it leaves the pump. Sort of makes a sizzling oil sort of sound.

Cookiesowns
04-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Well heres the thing, I like how my XSPC res looks on my system, and I don't feel like replacing it. Whats the best way to turn it into a single loop system? Do i just connect pump1 outlet to pump2 inlet and I should be set? What about bleeding?

Cookiesowns
04-17-2011, 01:06 AM
Anyone?

Utnorris
04-17-2011, 05:07 AM
Yes. that should work.

barfastic
04-17-2011, 11:15 PM
i have two d5's (1 laing and 1 swiftech) and according to my flow meter my flowrate has decreased... :S

My single pump setup was res->pump-> triple rad ->GPU, BeiFei Mosfet -> Quad Rad -> BeiFei NB/SB -> Swiftech GTZ -> EK Ram Block -> res

now with dual pumps i have the following loop

res-> pump-> pump-> triple rad -> GPU - > EK Fullboard block -> Quad rad -> EK HF Supreme (2 strip plate) -> EK Ram block - >res

dont think that the HF supreme and the FC block are THAT much more restrictive... dunno... S:

Martinm210
04-18-2011, 04:22 AM
MB full cover blocks are probably the most restrictive thing you can put in a loop. Some are several times more restrictive than CPU blocks.

Utnorris
04-18-2011, 04:41 AM
i have two d5's (1 laing and 1 swiftech) and according to my flow meter my flowrate has decreased... :S

My single pump setup was res->pump-> triple rad ->GPU, BeiFei Mosfet -> Quad Rad -> BeiFei NB/SB -> Swiftech GTZ -> EK Ram Block -> res

now with dual pumps i have the following loop

res-> pump-> pump-> triple rad -> GPU - > EK Fullboard block -> Quad rad -> EK HF Supreme (2 strip plate) -> EK Ram block - >res

dont think that the HF supreme and the FC block are THAT much more restrictive... dunno... S:

I am running into the same situation since I added the Koolance FC Formula block to my setup. I have two D5's in series and I only have .72GPM flow rate. I am actually considering adding a third D5 to the loop. Granted, I could split the loop up into two and put the MB on it's own loop, but i am trying to keep things simple by using a single loop. Even my RD30 was only able to pull 1.2GPM at 24v through this loop. I don't think I have ever had such a restrictive block as this MB block.

barfastic
04-18-2011, 05:33 AM
I am running into the same situation since I added the Koolance FC Formula block to my setup. I have two D5's in series and I only have .72GPM flow rate. I am actually considering adding a third D5 to the loop. Granted, I could split the loop up into two and put the MB on it's own loop, but i am trying to keep things simple by using a single loop. Even my RD30 was only able to pull 1.2GPM at 24v through this loop. I don't think I have ever had such a restrictive block as this MB block.

ouch.... hmmm.... might end up splitting my loops aswell... :( more money into this endless hole called watercooling. lol...

btw, sorry for the thread Hijacking OP.

Vapor
04-18-2011, 06:42 AM
If your tube routing can (visually) remain the way you want, put the FC block in parallel with another component (maybe the RAM block or GPU block).

Two parts in parallel = less restrictive than the least restrictive of the two! In terms of system restriction (and therefore flow for all the parts not in the parallel pair), it will be more effective than just removing the FC block.

However, the FC block will take a big drop in flowrate, but will definitely have more than enough to remain fully functional. The other block in the parallel pair will likely also take drop in flowrate, which is why I suggest a RAM or GPU block--something where every last degree isn't critical.

Utnorris
04-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Ok, so just to followup on my previous statement. It turns out I had a clogged CPU block, thank goodness for QD's as I probably would have never figured it out. So, it was not my MB being restrictive, but rather my CPU block being clogged. By the way, it's less than three months old with the water being changed very frequently. Lesson here is, distilled water good, color additives bad. :D