PDA

View Full Version : Getting VERY high VGPU.

Holst
01-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Hi all.

Memory mods are taking longer than anticipated, but here is somehting to keep you ammused in the mean time.

Basically I was stuck with 2.35v on VGPU, and I wanted more.

No matter how I manipulated the vreg (even to the point of trying to force it into 3.3v mode) I couldnt get more than 2.35v... I think this is because we "drop" 1v through the Vreg itself

So there was only one solution.... change the 3.3v line.

Several of you have already done this... but Im too lazy to take my PSU to bits, and I think its a tad dangerous anyway.

So another solution.... remove the 3.3v ine from the vregs and feed in 5v directly....

I wasnt sure if this would work, but it does and supprisingly well...

All I did was unsolder from the card the right leg on BOTH the mosfets, and feed it 5v direclty from a molex...
Setting the resistor devider to 1.5v (card sittin in the bios) before the mod made it fairly safe on the card... with 5v the voltage jumped to around 1.7v, but will scale upto 2.6v (highest ive dared try)

The resistor devider is still operating under the 3.3v line, this shouldnt matter too much in practice although its not smart from an electrical point of view...

I should post pics of my card now as it looks like frankinsteins monseter, with 3 VR's and wires everywhere :P

Ill try and get my camera on it tomorrow.

More VGPU hasnt gained me anything much... but its not lost me anything, maybee you phase change guys (holst pokes Yoopy in the eye) can make use of this mod.

saaya
01-18-2004, 03:17 PM
very nice!

Holst
01-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Saaya, your PM box is full... time to springclean it.

You can save your messages to a file if you want to keep a record of old ones... probably worth it in your case.

Holst
01-18-2004, 03:36 PM
This mod seems to be having a negative impact on stability... im not sure why yet... but use with some caution...

YoupY
01-18-2004, 04:01 PM
I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

I was about to solder the 3.3V directly to the core, but this sounds more wise to me.

I'm still want to get that 10k.

Vlad Draculea
01-18-2004, 04:11 PM
no tips about voltage regulators

saaya
01-18-2004, 04:50 PM
did anybody place new mosfets on the card already?

oh, and holst, could you please make a pic of the mod or a drawing? :D

Vlad Draculea
01-18-2004, 04:56 PM
here goes nothing

YoupY
01-19-2004, 02:58 AM
Had an accident today, when I was measuring the output. I've shorted the 5V to the core and the card didn't like it. Since I couldn't find any black spots or traces on the card and both Vregs are working as the should do, I'm think I blew up the core.

This time I think it will stay dead and won't come alive anymore like it did before.

I've had a fun time playing with it though.

If someone could use the card for spare parts or if you have a mod that's has the potention to kill ya card, please PM me since I'm happy to help out :D

saaya
01-19-2004, 06:23 AM
lol, so your card got tired of getting shorted all the time? :D

RIP

bigZ
01-19-2004, 07:26 AM
poor YoupY, RIP :D

Holst
01-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Oooops yoopy... not a good move...

Ill change back to my 9800 and normall HDD tonight and post pics of my xabre, and answer some of the posts in vmods ive been ignoring (sorry)

bowman1964
01-19-2004, 10:59 AM
Well great mods guys...i may try and play some this weekend.so i may actually touch my card.i dont mind burning her up.but she will be cold so i need all the voltage it can stand.:D

YoupY
02-01-2004, 06:05 PM
I've got the Xabre from Fewture and tried the 5V mod. I've had 3.0V on the core and it still lives :D (prometiea cooled)

I hope to get a new score soon, but haven't had enough time until now.

Vlad Draculea
02-07-2004, 08:19 AM
i have done an schematic and some simulation this morning of an Xtreme mod :D
but it wont be disclosed :slobber: :D :smileysex :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :p: :p: :p: :p: :p:

Vlad Draculea
02-09-2004, 05:18 PM
i am definitely building it, and the better things is that i really got to build it later, but sorry no more info for you, it is under nda with me in the past, if you can go to the past and sing the nda i could tell you, otherwise i am afraid i cant.