PDA

View Full Version : Do I need more rad for this?

LLiH
04-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Ok

I currently am water cooling this:
EK Full Cover X58 classified
I7 920 (Swiftech Apogee XTZ)
EK FC5870 FUll cover block

I got 1 XSPC RX 360 radiator, with Scythe Gentle typhoons, a D5 pump, and a bay reservoir from XSPC.

If I wanted to cool my ram, 3x 2Gb Dominators (thinking of the EK wb)

Would I need more rads for it?

I got the corsair 800D case, so I was thinking, I could add 1 single rad on the vent, and 1 single rad at the bottom (If I am not considering cutting out on the bottom)

m_jones_
04-11-2011, 08:14 AM
There is more than enough rad even once you add memory, someone here runs a i7 & x2 gtx580 with brilliant temps on a 120.3.

MagisD
04-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Why are you cooling the memory, mem unless oc it's fine on stock air.

A CORSAIR fan would be all you need even then unless you couldn't stand the noise.

Then people wc mem, well that and looks, mem blocks trend to be restrictive.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

LLiH
04-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Adding another D5 to the loop, with a EK dual top for it, would that make some difference? I just got to do something, itching to mod :D

neonatas
04-11-2011, 09:55 AM
other then enlarging your e-peen.. no

LLiH
04-11-2011, 10:15 AM
other then enlarging your e-peen.. no

What is e-peen I don't understand x)

aerial
04-11-2011, 10:24 AM
You can easily get away with 360 rad for this setup.

JumpingJack
04-11-2011, 06:26 PM
What is e-peen I don't understand x)

It is a colloquial reference meaning something to the effect of having bigger and better just for the sake of bragging.

eth0s
04-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Adding another D5 to the loop, with a EK dual top for it, would that make some difference? I just got to do something, itching to mod :D

Adding a second D5 in series will effectively double your total head pressure, which will definitely increase your flow rate, and which in turn, may or may not have an effect on your temps, it all depends on how much restriction you have in your loop. In general, I think it is safe to say that if your current flow rate is very low (like < 1.0 gpm), then you will probably will see an effect on temps from adding a second pump, if very high (like >2.0 gpm), well, probably little or no appreciable effect on temps, but you will still have more flow rate, which will improve the responsiveness of your loop, i.e., you will notice a faster response to increase in temps, so it's not like it's a bad thing. (only bad thing is that you are doubling head pressure, and any component of your loop that is sensitive to pressure increase, may start to leak, so that is always a concern, but under ordinary conditions, and absent a defective component, everything should be fine.)

Now if you are "itching to mod", I would cut a hole in the bottom of that case and mount a 2x140mm rad in the bottom, that will have a much bigger effect on temps than a second pump. I know cutting a hole in your case seems daunting at first, but after the first cut, you start looking for all kinds of ways to hack up the case! :up:

But really, if you have the time and the the cash, then do both: add a rad, and add a pump. That would be the XS way to mod. If you have the time, but only limited cash, well then, TBH, the 280mm rad will yield the biggest improvement. As for 2 separate 120mm rads? Well, that's okay, and will help, but I tried it once, and I wasn't too impressed (I added an XPSC 120mm and HWLabs GTS 120 to a TC PA 120.3, and the improvement in temps was really lackluster. However, after I added a 240mm to the loop, I actually saw an noticeable improvement. So in the end I had a TC PA120.3, and a TFC X-changer 240mm, and the HWLabs GTS 120, and with that combo, and two ddc 3.2's, i had an idle delta of 2C. (100% Load was more like 3.8C)

Now going back to your Original Post: Do you need moar rad? No. But why should that stop you?

LLiH
04-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Adding a second D5 in series will effectively double your total head pressure, which will definitely increase your flow rate, and which in turn, may or may not have an effect on your temps, it all depends on how much restriction you have in your loop. In general, I think it is safe to say that if your current flow rate is very low (like < 1.0 gpm), then you will probably will see an effect on temps from adding a second pump, if very high (like >2.0 gpm), well, probably little or no appreciable effect on temps, but you will still have more flow rate, which will improve the responsiveness of your loop, i.e., you will notice a faster response to increase in temps, so it's not like it's a bad thing. (only bad thing is that you are doubling head pressure, and any component of your loop that is sensitive to pressure increase, may start to leak, so that is always a concern, but under ordinary conditions, and absent a defective component, everything should be fine.)

Now if you are "itching to mod", I would cut a hole in the bottom of that case and mount a 2x140mm rad in the bottom, that will have a much bigger effect on temps than a second pump. I know cutting a hole in your case seems daunting at first, but after the first cut, you start looking for all kinds of ways to hack up the case! :up:

But really, if you have the time and the the cash, then do both: add a rad, and add a pump. That would be the XS way to mod. If you have the time, but only limited cash, well then, TBH, the 280mm rad will yield the biggest improvement. As for 2 separate 120mm rads? Well, that's okay, and will help, but I tried it once, and I wasn't too impressed (I added an XPSC 120mm and HWLabs GTS 120 to a TC PA 120.3, and the improvement in temps was really lackluster. However, after I added a 240mm to the loop, I actually saw an noticeable improvement. So in the end I had a TC PA120.3, and a TFC X-changer 240mm, and the HWLabs GTS 120, and with that combo, and two ddc 3.2's, i had an idle delta of 2C. (100% Load was more like 3.8C)

Now going back to your Original Post: Do you need moar rad? No. But why should that stop you?

Wow, I really like your response! :)
Yes to be honest, I have been thinking of cutting in the bottom of the case, the problem is I do not have the correct tools for it (now) I live in my own apartment, without parents, so I do not have a lot of tools. I am a student, so did not buy tools :D
Allthough, I got a dremel tool, with cutting weels.

Could you tell me what I would need to make that bottom 240mm rad? I really want to. I got both enough time and money.

So If I get the knowledge from some1; I would get another pump + EK dual top (single loop) + RAM WB + 240 radiator. :)

Thanks again for your post

avddreamr
04-12-2011, 01:09 PM
LLIH: Depending on how you mount the bottom radiator, it may or may not even outperform your top radiator.
If you mount it vertically (the rx series is just wide enough), and create mesh holes on both sides... do push/pull w/ shroud.. it should perform spectacularly.
The items in your build are relatively low restriction, so another pump is unnecessary.

Either way you'll be fine, post pics, this should be fun :)

Btw I got by with 5870 and an i7 930 @4.2/1.35v on a rx360 with 3 ap15's running at 1000rpm or below.

Sullen
04-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Wow, I really like your response! :)
Yes to be honest, I have been thinking of cutting in the bottom of the case, the problem is I do not have the correct tools for it (now) I live in my own apartment, without parents, so I do not have a lot of tools. I am a student, so did not buy tools :D
Allthough, I got a dremel tool, with cutting weels.

Could you tell me what I would need to make that bottom 240mm rad? I really want to. I got both enough time and money.

So If I get the knowledge from some1; I would get another pump + EK dual top (single loop) + RAM WB + 240 radiator. :)

Thanks again for your post

Hope this helps!

800D Mod Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Ovlo1uwk0

800D Mod Part2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc6Cr7G4S6E

This is one of many ways I've seen this mod done. A Dremel tool with cutting discs and a drill are the only power tools that you'll usually need, good luck!

LLiH
04-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks a lot! Do you think I can cut the whole thing with a dremel?