PDA

View Full Version : New Primochill Myriad Reservoir - Custom 8 Ports!

Rainmeister
04-03-2011, 04:39 PM
After that dark day last December when I discovered my PC in a pool of water, I wondered if this would ever happen. But it finally did, thanks to Primochill doing the right thing. It started when my Primochill Typhoon T3 8 port reservoir did what many other T3s did. It split down the glued seam that held the front half to the back half. My guess it that this happened due to expansion and contraction, as the water heated and cooled. Do enough cycles and it will spring a leak. Primochill had stopped production of the T3 prior to the failure of my T3, and was willing to replace mine for a new product they had. However it only came in two and four port versions, and I had plans for all 8 ports. They said they had another new product coming out that was flexible enough to support an 8 port configuration, if I was willing to wait a few weeks. Darn right I was. But weeks ran into months.... But the wait was worth it. I now have probably the only 8 port Primochill Myriad reservoir in existence in my hands, and have some pictures for you to enjoy.

This shot shows the back of the reservoir, with the adjustable mounting brackets, and of course the 8 ports that make this one special.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g454/Rainmeister42/Picture4.jpg

I left the protective paper over the clear acrylic face panel in this picture, and just propped up the brushed aluminum faceplate. Obviously, the paper will be removed when I am done with my leak testing.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g454/Rainmeister42/Picture7.jpg

Note not one, but two fill ports on the top. That will make it easier to bleed and get completely full. The T3 had the fill ports on the face, which forced you to turn the entire case when you wanted to top it off. Pulling out the reservoir from the case, should be easier (?). I will find out soon.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g454/Rainmeister42/Picture8.jpg

In this shot, you can get an idea of the spacing of the holels when you try to squeeze in 8 ports. The old T3 had two rows of four holes, but this Myriad has two rows of three, and two holes in the middle. I think this will provide more working room around the nozzles for hose clamps and fingers.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g454/Rainmeister42/Picture10.jpg

Primochill just released the Myriad to resellers, and you can see more info on them at these links:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=116&products_id=30476

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12707/ex-res-264/Primochill_Myriad_D5_Dual_Bay_Reservoir_Pump_Housi ng_D5_MCP655_PMP-450_-_Clear.html

Right now, it appears that the Myriad is only offered with a D5 pump top build into the back of it. However, as my 8 port reservoir proves, it is not difficult for them to simply remove the back pannel, and put in whatever they want. The back panel is held in place with thumb screws and sealed with an o-ring, so it should be easy to get it apart. The front panel uses set screws so they sit flush to the surface, so the brushed aluminium face plate will lay flat on the acrylic. The acrylic plates are simply flat, with holes in them.

From a business perspective, Primochill will probably focus on the configurations they think the market needs most, first. But this would not hold back a good modder from making their own back plates. This does look like a much better, and more flexible design than the T3.

Overall, this reservoir has just the right amount of bling for me, which was somewhat of a relief, as I had no idea what I would get. Fit and finish are very nice. Besides the clear front panel, there are options for UV panels in several colors. If you had unused ports, you could put LEDs in them (like with the T3), but with the back also being clear on mine, I can just put the LEDs anywhere behind the reservoir.

Thanks to Primochill for listening to what would make me happy, and for honoring their warranty on the T3 in such a creative, win - win way.

:up::up::up::up::up:

Cory
04-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks to Primochill for listening to what would make me happy, and for honoring their warranty on the T3 in such a creative, win - win way.

:up::up::up::up::up:

You have got to be kidding me

zanzabar
04-03-2011, 05:06 PM
what are u going to do with 8 ports

m0r7if3r
04-03-2011, 05:07 PM

How do you mean? Seems like they came through for him...

Rainmeister
04-03-2011, 05:18 PM

I have to admit that they have had some bad press in the past. When I was researching my T3 problem, I braced myself for the worst, based on what I was reading. And it did take 4 months to get it worked out..... :down:

But at the end of the day, when a vendor actually does something right, it should be ok to say so. Its a rare enough event as it is.

I really posted this just to show you guys the reservoir, not to argue about the pros and cons of any particular vendor. I guess I was feeling a little guilty about how hard I ragged them the last 4 months in my correspondence with them, so I stuck a thumbs up at the end for them. My bad.

Rainmeister
04-03-2011, 05:55 PM
what are u going to do with 8 ports

First, I have to say that much of what I know about water cooling, I learned from Skinnee and Martin. (Thanks guys!). At one point I am fairly sure I remember Skinnee was using an 8 port T3 in his lab, and I though that would be interesting to play with. Now, I am hooked.

For one thing, you can isolate components into separate loops for optimized flow. I have a cpu water block that is very restrictive, but is very effective. My GPU prefers more flow, so separate loops. They both get what they want. If you want to get crazy, you could put the rads in a different loop, and optimize the flow for them as well. Pulling the rads out of the cpu loop will help the flow there, too.

Perhaps you have a chiller, but don't want to run it all the time. And you really don't want to put rads in the chiller loop, as this is counter-productive. You could have one loop for the chiller, and another for the rads, and only turn on the pump in the loop you want to run.

Or maybe you only run rads. You could have two loops for rads, and only turn on the fans and pumps on the second one when you are crunching for WCG 24x7 while well overclocked, and keep it quieter for normal use by only running one loop.

You can keep a loop plumbed with quick disconnects outside the case if you just want to test a pump, or stick a rad in an ice cooler, or any other more "Xtreme" thing you might dream up. This crowd should not lack imagination on what to do with four loops. It's about flexibility and speed. I want to know how something works, and don't have the time to waste. I guess I don't need to have the thoroughness of Skinnee Labs ( http://skinneelabs.com/ ). I always have their detailed reports to fall back on. :)

Anyone else have ideas on what to do with 4 loops? I love new ideas! This is XtremeSystems, right!?! :yepp:

Church
04-03-2011, 05:58 PM
In you place i'd roll out drill and thread cutter to make that reservoir 32 port one! :)
But really, WHY?!

zanzabar
04-03-2011, 06:27 PM
First, I have to say that much of what I know about water cooling, I learned from Skinnee and Martin. (Thanks guys!). At one point I am fairly sure I remember Skinnee was using an 8 port T3 in his lab, and I though that would be interesting to play with. Now, I am hooked.

For one thing, you can isolate components into separate loops for optimized flow. I have a cpu water block that is very restrictive, but is very effective. My GPU prefers more flow, so separate loops. They both get what they want. If you want to get crazy, you could put the rads in a different loop, and optimize the flow for them as well. Pulling the rads out of the cpu loop will help the flow there, too.

Perhaps you have a chiller, but don't want to run it all the time. And you really don't want to put rads in the chiller loop, as this is counter-productive. You could have one loop for the chiller, and another for the rads, and only turn on the pump in the loop you want to run.

Or maybe you only run rads. You could have two loops for rads, and only turn on the fans and pumps on the second one when you are crunching for WCG 24x7 while well overclocked, and keep it quieter for normal use by only running one loop.

You can keep a loop plumbed with quick disconnects outside the case if you just want to test a pump, or stick a rad in an ice cooler, or any other more "Xtreme" thing you might dream up. This crowd should not lack imagination on what to do with four loops. It's about flexibility and speed. I want to know how something works, and don't have the time to waste. I guess I don't need to have the thoroughness of Skinnee Labs ( http://skinneelabs.com/ ). I always have their detailed reports to fall back on. :)

Anyone else have ideas on what to do with 4 loops? I love new ideas! This is XtremeSystems, right!?! :yepp:

thats fairly interesting, i would like to see some testing with putting rads in a separate loop, it just dose not seam like it would be that efficient without a much larger rez. but the chiller idea is golden.

Computurd
04-03-2011, 06:41 PM
that putting rads in a seperate loop is a VERY interesting idea. i mean seriously, for a CPU loop, wouldnt that help flow enought to make a difference? no restriction from the rads, but a straight in out to CPU...interesting.