PDA

View Full Version : Bong Cooling Guides?

Gimmpy224
03-31-2011, 07:19 AM
Does anyone know of any? The only ones I can find through google are chillers and im not looking for anything that'll take me well below ambient. Was just curious cause Im about to move and after that my main rig will remain stationary, so I am wanting to build something out of the ordinary to cool it and I figure why not a 4-5ft bong cooler lol.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ty all!

Dualist
03-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Have you seen these..

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/406256-official-bong-lovers-club-56k-fail.html

antiacid
03-31-2011, 07:34 AM
bong cooler's main drawback, as you might know, is the constant need to refill the water tank. Not only that but it'll affect the humidity conditions of the room it's sitting in and that isn't always desirable. This is why mostly nobody bothers with evaporation cooling towers for computers these days.

I guess you could probably rig a dehumidifier to feed your tank and get a fun little loop going ;)

Gimmpy224
03-31-2011, 07:38 AM
Have you seen these..

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/406256-official-bong-lovers-club-56k-fail.html

Ah nope I hadnt come across those yet. The only OC.net guide I could find was a chiller 0,o.

@anti: That would be interesting if I could pull something like that off ^_^. And I dont think the humidity would bug me too much, ive wanted to set up a bong style cooler since I first came across one here on XS 6 years ago lol. I wasnt aware that they let off that much moisture though 0,o.

Any other tips are welcome! Thanks so far!

Waterlogged
03-31-2011, 07:53 AM
The best bong and build log I've ever seen was by AJ @ OCAU. Too bad he took the pics down some time ago, maybe someone that's registered over there can maybe get him to put the pics back up on Photobucket or Imageshack?

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=531759

Aaronharmon
03-31-2011, 09:23 AM
You would not need to worry about humidity in an air conditioned house. The AC will dry it out. Also in the winter, the extra humidity is welcome as the air is notoriously dry. The main things are keeping an eye on your water level and preventing biologicals.

Gimmpy224
03-31-2011, 11:11 AM
The best bong and build log I've ever seen was by AJ @ OCAU. Too bad he took the pics down some time ago, maybe someone that's registered over there can maybe get him to put the pics back up on Photobucket or Imageshack?

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=531759

hes actually got a cool idea of lighting up the water as it falls. TY waterlogged, you never fail to help me out ^_^.

@ aaron: I was actually wondering that about the A/C.

Any ideas on how to keep out the Bio growth?

p2501
03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
hes actually got a cool idea of lighting up the water as it falls. TY waterlogged, you never fail to help me out ^_^.

@ aaron: I was actually wondering that about the A/C.

Any ideas on how to keep out the Bio growth?

Maybe filtration and hard UV lights could work. :up:

m0r7if3r
03-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Maybe filtration and hard UV lights could work. :up:

As I understand it, the level of UV light you need to effectively kill bacteria is enough to blind you...sorta impractical IMO. I say just run some silver in there and be done with it.

NaeKuh
04-01-2011, 09:14 AM
OK...

Im probably one of the few on this forum who has ever built one.

Lemme first warn you of the dangers a bong cooler can bring... and im being VERY SERIOUS.

1. A bong chiller will skyrocket your humidity in the room. Were talking massive massive levels.
2. A bong chiller needs to be well vented, or you risk catching pneumonia, or respiratory diseases.
3. The amount of water you will evap off, will be significant based on evaporation area, so u can / may need to replace a lot of water each day.

That being said, its not very difficult. There are serveral ways to do a good bong chiller.

The key point is, you need a spray head inside a tube, and material which offers a lot of surface area.
If you have any experience with fish tanks, then you would setup the bong like you would a bottom wet/dry.
In short a bong is a wet/dry filter of some sort.

Grim... if your gonna do one, have it vent directly outside, and not back into your room.
Trust me on this, anyone that has built one will tell you, if you bong vents inside your room, and you have no dehumidifer, your bong wont last longer then 2 weeks b4 u get sick.

Church
04-01-2011, 09:32 AM
And i wonder why not put all those funds and electricity spent on dehumidifier in normal LC setup in first place?

NaeKuh
04-01-2011, 09:46 AM
And i wonder why not put all those funds and electricity spent on dehumidifier in normal LC setup in first place?

Bong chillers were fun when you had massive tec loads.

Also i had most of the parts..

PVC was cheap, i had extra bio balls from my wet dry, got a fine shower head nozzle.

So total construction was cheap, performance gave me up to 4-5C below ambient.

But i was evap coolant, like no tomorrow.

The_Beast
04-01-2011, 10:38 AM
It's a very cool concept, I really looking into doing a bong cooler setup a while ago but the drawbacks out weighted the benefits so I decided not to even try

meanmoe
04-01-2011, 03:22 PM
I would never use a bong chiller, swamp coolers, cooling towers, or other evaporative coolers. They're cool, but you can do better with a refrigerant, imo. Not to mention the incredible amount of water you'll be putting into the air like others have mentioned.

There's a guy here on XS that did it along with geothermal in an out building. He has efficiency numbers in one of his threads.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224174
Click the links in his sig.