PDA

View Full Version : 2500 barton/NF7 combo going bad?

Perc
01-17-2004, 09:01 PM
hey guys

well it seems my amd rig may have hit rocky water's? i have been noticing alot of erors in windows and random reboots lately, now these settings i have had this system running now for about 3 months with out ever experiancing this kinda stuff happening until a few days ago? im running this system at 11x233 2530mhz cpu voltage is 1.85v memory is 2.8v chip set is set to max my memory timmings are 11,3,2,2 and my temps usaly avg 36-42c on the cpu.

now i notice that it acts up mostly when it gets up to about 45c-47c? i have tired getting it colder and running toast seeing if the temps were causeing these new problems but i cant tell? what do you guys think? think my cpu is going bad or what? i hope not but i know its a verry good possablity so... whata you guys think?

thx perc,

XtremepH
01-17-2004, 09:08 PM
was your overclock @2.5ghz prime stable? since tis seems very weird to be having stability problems after using the system for a good 3months straight without a hitch

Jrocket
01-17-2004, 09:32 PM
Did you open up the case for anything lately? I have had things like that happen to me then find out it was just a wire is loose or something.

Perc
01-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by XtremepH
was your overclock @2.5ghz prime stable? since tis seems very weird to be having stability problems after using the system for a good 3months straight without a hitch

yes it was verry much prime stable at this clock speed infact i used to run the fsb at 246 until one day i started priming it and found out i had to lower the fsb to 233 to get it totaly stable. at 233 i was able to run prime for 20 plus hrs before i was convinced it was stable and gave up. this was about two and a half months ago so....

one thing i have noticed today is that the system only does this when the temps are above 44c? i usaly dont let my system reach this temp but its been cold out and i have been running the heat. i gues i could wrap up in a blanket and blast the air :D now thats a true ocer! rather freeze and have good ocs then give in and lower the oc and run the heat!! oh well its a sickness i tell you!

im going to prime it all night tonight and see what happens? i think i may just have a temp issue on my hands here? i well post back tommarrow once i have atleast 12 plus hrs on prime....

thx perc,

IamAnoobieCheez
01-17-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Perc
.... im running this system at 11x233 2530mhz cpu voltage is 1.85v memory is 2.8v chip set is set to max my memory timmings are 11,3,2,2 and my temps usaly avg 36-42c on the cpu....

... now i notice that it acts up mostly when it gets up to about 45c-47c?.....
Does your CPU temperature/ and room temperature vary greatly?

CPU clock operations are determined by voltages and temperature. Temperature dictates how your cpu clocks. Voltage ain't the only thing..

I see you had descent temps in the past but now got upto 45~47? You need to maintain room temperatures within range. Set it up in such ways so your cpu temp goes back to 36~ 42C range.

When the cpu isn't overclocked at all, voltage and temperature is much less of issue. The cpu is able to withstand heat better. But these will become sensitive as you overclock.

Also, the same thing applies to the temperatures on the chipsets and mosfets on the system board.. Room temp is very important.

Perc
01-17-2004, 11:39 PM
yes as a mater of fact my room temps do verry alot. i live in a small trailer right now and all i have is a window unit for air and its kinda cold out right now so i run the heat thats why my system is getting up into the 44-47c range. during the summer i ran the air so i never had these problems or temps. i think maybe going to a water system i may be able to maintain beter temps at a warmer room temp no? cause if so then maybe its time to go water? i mean i dont want to slowly cook my system cause my room temp is a little warm that day! im starting to see that this is a cooling issue cause i got the air on blowing almost directly into the case keeping the temps around 31c idle and 36c load and its been running toast now for over an hour or so without any reboots wich is good cause it would of rebooted by now when it was running in the 44-47c range. i would rather deal with a cooling issue then loose this cpu/mb combo so im rather relieved to see it just may be the cooling instead of the hardware going bad.

thx perc,

IamAnoobieCheez
01-17-2004, 11:53 PM
you got it... my man. All well said.

as long as the room temp is descent, it should be able to maintain your original overclock setting nice and stable. A nicely managed watercooling is a good option. I wouldn't be worried about CPU & mobo dying at those higher temp range. They'll be fine, it's just that it'll get unstable at those overclocks due to heat. You won't be getting hardware damage.