PDA

View Full Version : giving wife my computer, looking for new build suggestions

Andretti
03-29-2011, 10:31 AM
As the title suggests, the computer I built for my wife over 6 years ago is on its last legs and dieing quickly. As is usually our custom, when we replace or update a computer, her and the kids get my current one and I build a new one for me.

The one that is getting passed down is listed in my sig and around 3(?) years old. Even with that, it will easily last them for more than a few years based on their needs and uses. The only thing I might do for them before passing it on (if cheap enough and worth doing) would be to upgrade the cpu from a dual core to the max quad core the board can support (minus any overclocking) just for added longevity for them. I will reformat it too so I can upgrade it to windows 7 as well (if I can confirm that will not be a problem and can 100% support it).

My budget on the new system is around ~$1800 (likely my max). In the past I've been a HUGE gamer and even though I'm not playing them like I have in the past few years as of late, building a superior system that supports the biggest and baddest current games around has proven valuable time and time again by the logevity of the systems I've built over the years. With this in mind, I intend to do the same for this build.

My problem is its been long enough since my last build that I'm quite out of touch with what is currently out there, thus the reasoning for posting here looking for suggestions.

I know I'd like to build something using Intel Core I7 CPU, have Raid 0 hd setup, minimum of 4g ram (thinking 6g though), single outstanding video card, and a dvd writer of some sort. I figure this is a good starting point.

I'd prefer not to have a built in soundcard or video as in the past I've always felt they eliminated expandability (and never really held up to the peripherial ones you could purchase).

Do to the outstanding help and suggestions previously, the system I'm planning on passing along to my wife and kids (one in sig) has probably the best all around system I've ever built. With that in mind, it just makes too much sense to me to come here again and do more asking around.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Andretti

RacingTurtle
03-30-2011, 05:58 AM
What kind of budget are you thinking of? Sandy Bridge is really nice - I built one for a friend a month or so ago and it cost him around £700, not too expensive for a machine that should hold it performance for a good few years. But failing that, even i5 is still great, thats what I'm on at the moment and with enough GFX power you can run anything.

Pretty sure you can get a Q9550 for that Asus P5N32-E of yours.

Andretti
03-30-2011, 06:25 AM
What kind of budget are you thinking of? Sandy Bridge is really nice - I built one for a friend a month or so ago and it cost him around £700, not too expensive for a machine that should hold it performance for a good few years. But failing that, even i5 is still great, thats what I'm on at the moment and with enough GFX power you can run anything.

Pretty sure you can get a Q9550 for that Asus P5N32-E of yours.

budget is around $1800 US.

At this point, I've gotten only this far (I have a TON more research to put into this...so if anyone immediately notices anything that wont work/wronge/ or just a waste and could offer a much smarter route, please feel free to mention):

Case: Antec Nine Hundred

MB: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe B3 Intel P67 Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA 1155), Intel P67 Express, 2200MHz DDR3 (O.C.), Dual Gigabit LAN, 8-CH Audio, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, USB 3.0, SLI/CrossFireX, Bluetooth

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K BX80623I72600K Unlocked Processor - Quad Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 3.40 GHz, Socket H2 (LGA1155)

I'm still obviously needing to spec out Hd's, video, ram, cpu cooler...etc. This was as far as I got last night. Nothing written in stone, just based on first impressions and thoughts thus far. Would/could definately change based on thoughts here.

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

Andretti

RacingTurtle
03-30-2011, 06:42 AM
You obviously like that Antec 900! The bigger one is pretty good too, the 1200.
Get a nice SSD for your boot drive, mechanical HDD's for storage. One of the best upgrades you can give your pc, makes a HUGE difference.
What res. will you be gaming at? ATI or Nvidia preference?
I'd recommend the Corsair Professional Series Gold for a PSU - fully modular, exceptional performance, enough power for the next 5 years.

Thinking of watercooling or aircooling?

Andretti
03-30-2011, 06:56 AM
You obviously like that Antec 900! The bigger one is pretty good too, the 1200.
Get a nice SSD for your boot drive, mechanical HDD's for storage. One of the best upgrades you can give your pc, makes a HUGE difference.
What res. will you be gaming at? ATI or Nvidia preference?
I'd recommend the Corsair Professional Series Gold for a PSU - fully modular, exceptional performance, enough power for the next 5 years.

Thinking of watercooling or aircooling?

Cant say I LOVE the Antec 900....its just the case thats being used for the current computer that is dieing. I figured just to gut it and start over using it again....unless that would be problematic.

gaming rez?? at least 1920 X 1200, but would love to go higher within reason.

Nvidia preference, but I'm not married to it. If there is a card people find better and more reliable, I'd likely go to that without any problems.

Aircooling for now.

Andretti

CrazyNutz
03-30-2011, 06:58 AM
Go Sandy Bridge!

I just picked up the 2500k and MSI p67a-gd65, and I could not be more happy. The Sandy's are by far the best bang for the buck, these things scream even at stock, and overclock like mad:up:

Also in regards to the old rig your passing down, unfortunately a good socket 775 quad will set you back more than $240.00

RacingTurtle
03-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Also in regards to the old rig your passing down, unfortunately a good socket 775 quad will set you back more than $240.00

Pretty sure they can be had on Ebay for cheaper than that. No point in paying alot of $ to put a brand new chip in an older machine.

There are so many video cards to choose from right now - HD6950/GTX570, and loads of others will play whatever you want at that resolution and still be able to go higher if/when you do.

Cooling - I believe the Dark Rock Pro C1 is the new air-cooling king?

Ket
03-31-2011, 03:35 AM
Mainboard: Asrock P67 Extreme4 (see sig for linky and more details)
CPU: i5 2500k
RAM: 4/8GB PC12800 G.Skill Ripjaws CL7 (OC like mad)
Graphics: GTX560 1GB or better (even a OCd GTX460 1GB can still manhandle any game atm)
HDD: Western Digital Black drive
PSU: Corsair 800w

That setup will have you sorted for years. Depending how that lot tots up in your country and you have the budget to do so getting a i7 2600k may be something to consider. As would a GTX570, but it depends if you would prefer to have a really powerful system and pocket the savings, or a awesomely powerful system.

Andretti
03-31-2011, 05:34 AM
Thanks very much guys for all the advice/suggestions. I will be doing more and more research over the next few days and hopefully come up with a more solidified idea to bounce here again to see if I'm heading down the right path.

Thanks again.

Andretti