PDA

View Full Version : Koolance CTR-SPD10 Controller Review

Martinm210
03-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Detailed review (http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/03/27/koolance-ctr-spd10-pump-speed-controller-8-13v/)

Summary
http://martinsliquidlab.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/ctr-spd10-1.jpg?w=614&h=451

http://martinsliquidlab.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/ctr-spd10-minvoltage.jpg

http://martinsliquidlab.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/ctr-spd10-maxvoltage.jpg

http://martinsliquidlab.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/ctr-spd10-chartpq.png

http://martinsliquidlab.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/ctr-spd10-chartrpm2.png?w=614&h=575

Conclusion

This is a great little pump controller particularly for the many pumps which are fixed in speed such as the PMP-400 or other DDC pumps. This controller essentially gives you variable power and noise control over a pump that is otherwise fixed. In addition it gives you the option of over-volting the pump due to it’s unique transformer. While there are many fan controllers that could also reduce speed, this is the only option I know of that can go down to 8V and UP to 13V. Most fan controller will have a maximum below 12.0V because of losses within the fan controller.

Pros

25 watts capacity is ideal for the PMP-400
Over-volt (13Volts) capability can increase pump pressure head by up to 15%
Under-volt (8 Volts) capability can reduce pump noise for ultra silence
Compact size is fairly easy to install in a variety of locations
Simple operation up and down

Cons

Maximum volts can exceed pump startup limit (user needs to reduce slightly from maximum)
All manual control only

Overall I am very happy with this controller, particularly for it’s unique ability to not only provide a solid 12V which most fan controllers can’t do, but also to increase it for an extra bump in performance. I would suggest installing extra cooling on pumps that you are considering overvolting, as any sort of voltage increase will also increase heat output of the pump.

Cheers!
Martin

penguins
03-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks martin, you just sealed my fate :). I need me one of these puppies.

Johnny87au
03-28-2011, 12:32 AM
wow that thing is tiny, can you run 2 pumps off it ? Would be uber sweet!

Gamekiller
03-28-2011, 12:38 AM
Think a PMP-400 would run cool enough in a 402x2 Koolance res @13.28v seeing as how you can't really add a heatsink to it?

Do you know if a dual pump controller is in the works?

Also, "Maximum volts can exceed pump startup limit (user needs to reduce slightly from maximum)" does that mean exceed the limit for the controller? So each time your computer (pump) starts it can't be set to max?

I really don't care about the adjustment part really.. just the consistent 12+v ability. Assuming my molex always has at least 12v at the plug all of my molex to 3 pin connectors' wires look too thin to handle a pump properly anyways. (like I'd know though.. still a newby :D) I have mine on a fan controller (Rheobus Extreme) for that reason (the adapters aren't needed) though I'm assuming I'm effectively under volting my pump unintentionally. Sorry not trying to throw this off-topic. :)

penguins
03-28-2011, 12:57 AM
from (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4647560#post4647560)

do you suppose 2 pumps could be run on it? it says it will handle up to 3 amps, and the mcp350 only puts out 1 according to swiftech.. : ).
also nice necro post ; ) but i'll okayit.</naruto>

I've run a DDC3.25 and PMP-300 off of one unit, so I have to imagine two DDC3.1s would be fine.

Hope this helps.

Johnny87au
03-28-2011, 02:00 AM
thanks penguins, this is epic .. first time ive seen it hehe

Martinm210
03-28-2011, 05:39 AM
wow that thing is tiny, can you run 2 pumps off it ? Would be uber sweet!

If you can keep it under 25watts then yes..:) You could probabaly run more smaller pumps like the jingway pumps or two pmp400s at 10v, but I would suggest trying to overvolt two pmp400s...that would exceed the 25 watts.

Think a PMP-400 would run cool enough in a 402x2 Koolance res @13.28v seeing as how you can't really add a heatsink to it?

Do you know if a dual pump controller is in the works?

Also, "Maximum volts can exceed pump startup limit (user needs to reduce slightly from maximum)" does that mean exceed the limit for the controller? So each time your computer (pump) starts it can't be set to max?

I really don't care about the adjustment part really.. just the consistent 12+v ability. Assuming my molex always has at least 12v at the plug all of my molex to 3 pin connectors' wires look too thin to handle a pump properly anyways. (like I'd know though.. still a newby :D) I have mine on a fan controller (Rheobus Extreme) for that reason (the adapters aren't needed) though I'm assuming I'm effectively under volting my pump unintentionally. Sorry not trying to throw this off-topic. :)

If you can get a heatsink and air on it, I really havn't tried a long term overvolt test myself, but considering they can reach 60C at 12v with a top, I wouldn't try it without some extra cooling.

As far as the max startup note. The DDC3.2 and DDC3.25 will not start beyond 13.0V, so you need to turn the controller down a touch from maximum. I ran my test at 12.8v for that reason. You can start low and turn it up beyond that point, but it won't start there. You don't have to adjust each time though, just set it to 12.8v and you don't have to mess with it anymore. Just make sure you don't accidentally increase it somehow later.

I would also highly recommend doing some sort of rpm wire/shutdown any time you put a pump on a controller..always good practice.

Hope that helps..:)

m0r7if3r
03-28-2011, 07:47 AM
If you can keep it under 25watts then yes..:) You could probabaly run more smaller pumps like the jingway pumps or two pmp400s at 10v, but I would suggest trying to overvolt two pmp400s...that would exceed the 25 watts.

In just glancing at the circuitry, it doesn't look like it's PWM based on the voltage output, which means you need to keep the MAX draw of your pumps under 25W to be truly safe because the total power draw is going to be constant and the pot will just be dropping part of the voltage...i'm not 100% sure on that cause it's sorta difficult to see the circuit (there's only one good picture of it), but that's how I'd play it personally.

Koolance
03-28-2011, 09:25 AM
In just glancing at the circuitry, it doesn't look like it's PWM based on the voltage output...

It uses standard voltage regulation. Our previous model used PWM, but it didn't play nice with the various firmware versions of the DDC. All of our current pump-control products like RP-1000 and TMS-200 use this now for a smoother ramp.

Tim

Toolius
03-28-2011, 11:13 AM
That controller is beautiful .. shuts up a whining DDC like nothing else :D

m0r7if3r
03-28-2011, 11:17 AM
It uses standard voltage regulation. Our previous model used PWM, but it didn't play nice with the various firmware versions of the DDC. All of our current pump-control products like RP-1000 and TMS-200 use this now for a smoother ramp.

Tim

In that case... \/\/\/ should be true.

you need to keep the MAX draw of your pumps under 25W to be truly safe because the total power draw is going to be constant and the pot will just be dropping part of the voltage...i'm not 100% sure on that cause it's sorta difficult to see the circuit (there's only one good picture of it), but that's how I'd play it personally.

Vapor
03-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Of note, I was using my SPD10 to downvolt my pumps to the ~8.3-8.4v range...I definitely agree with m0r7if3r that staying below the rated power is a good idea and you can't really do that when overvolting two pumps (or even at 12v, I'd guess).....and at high loads I did notice it dropping voltage from ~12.7V to ~12V.

SPD10 has been one of my favorite controllers for awhile now...love that it can actually do 12v (and higher), that its voltage floor is high enough that I never have to worry about pumps (not) running/starting (but also plenty low to noticeably reduce noise/flow/power), and that it can hold a really high load without any accommodations

penguins
03-30-2011, 03:14 PM
sorry about that didn't see he was asking about overvolting :).