PDA

View Full Version : Help with water-cooling for my new computer!

hirsch
03-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Thinking of building a new water-cooled computer (first WC-build) in the A77F from Lian Li. The idea is to use the Asus Rampage III Black Edition if EK is launching a water-block for it, otherwise I will probably get the usual Rampage III.

Parts planned to be Water-cooled:
I7 990x
Asus Rampage III Black Edition / Exreme
6GB Corsair Dominator GT
2xGTX 590 or 2xHD6990 (what do you prefer? What About the 6990s "coil whine"?)

Can someone help me put together a complete water cooling setup (all I need to water cool the above parts) and tell me how to setup the loop (which components in which order). I think that the case can fit 2x360 rads, right? I would prefare a single loop but if that isn't a good idea maybe I should reconsider it?

Please keep in mind that the whole setup must fit inside the case and that I prioritize performance over price. So in other words, I seek the best performing water-cooled setup on the market!

Thanks in advance!

vhaarr
03-27-2011, 02:31 PM
CPU Block: EK Supreme HF
RAM Block: EM RAM Dominator
GPU Blocks: Danger Den DD-590 or EK FC590 x2 (don't forget a SLI-bridge)
Pumps: 2x MCP655 Vario
Reservoir: Koolance RP-452X2 or 2x Danger Den Monsoon if you have room
Fittings: 14x Fat Boy barbs + zip ties
Tubing: Primochill LRT
Radiators: HWLabs GTX360 x2
Fans: 6x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm
Fan controller: Sunbeam Rheosmart PL-SFC-6

Get some PT_Nuke and distilled water.
I probably forgot something :P

EDIT: Obviously you can use whatever reservoir you want, it won't impact performance - I just really like the DD Monsoon res :shocked:

Church
03-27-2011, 02:50 PM
And if you haven't yet bought mobo/cpu i'd suggest changing them to i7 2600K & P67 board. Apart from very few tests in most of them (at least in gaming ones) SB should win over 990X. +You'll save $, a lot. For gpu i'd probably take 2x590. Don't know about 4-way SLI/CF, but single 6990 has roughly almost same performance as single 590, with later also having physx.

theseeker
03-27-2011, 03:47 PM
I would stay away from the RB MB and go with a R3E instead. The Black MB is far too expensive and I doubt that it will gain any traction regarding a H20 MB block.
If you want something extreme go with the eVGA SR-2 it has H20 cooling options and it is a proven performer. Until our friends at intel do something extreme with SB, or perfect it, I will stick with X58. A good bin 980 or 990 is worth the price if you are an enthusiast. Just my 2 cents and have fun:D

gr1p
03-27-2011, 03:56 PM
I'd recommend taking your time and doing as much research as it takes to be comfortable with your parts purchases.

good website:

http://skinneelabs.com/

hirsch
03-28-2011, 11:14 AM
CPU Block: EK Supreme HF
RAM Block: EM RAM Dominator
GPU Blocks: Danger Den DD-590 or EK FC590 x2 (don't forget a SLI-bridge)
Reservoir: Koolance RP-452X2 or 2x Danger Den Monsoon if you have room
Fittings: 14x Fat Boy barbs + zip ties
Tubing: Primochill LRT
Radiators: HWLabs GTX360 x2
Fan controller: Sunbeam Rheosmart PL-SFC-6

Get some PT_Nuke and distilled water.
I probably forgot something :P

EDIT: Obviously you can use whatever reservoir you want, it won't impact performance - I just really like the DD Monsoon res :shocked:

What about 2xEK-CoolStream XT 360 instead of the HWLabs? Any difference in performance? And what do you think about performance - 990x@4.5GHz possible with good temps?

CPU+mobo+ram=loop1 & GPU1+GPU2=loop2?

And if you haven't yet bought mobo/cpu i'd suggest changing them to i7 2600K & P67 board. Apart from very few tests in most of them (at least in gaming ones) SB should win over 990X. +You'll save $, a lot. For gpu i'd probably take 2x590. Don't know about 4-way SLI/CF, but single 6990 has roughly almost same performance as single 590, with later also having physx.

I already have a 1155 (2600k/UD7 B3) and a 1366 (i7 980x & i7 930/P6X58D-E). Planning to change the 1366 because of my ":banana::banana::banana::banana:ty" 980x, it basically suck at overclocking... :(

I would stay away from the RB MB and go with a R3E instead. The Black MB is far too expensive and I doubt that it will gain any traction regarding a H20 MB block.
If you want something extreme go with the eVGA SR-2 it has H20 cooling options and it is a proven performer. Until our friends at intel do something extreme with SB, or perfect it, I will stick with X58. A good bin 980 or 990 is worth the price if you are an enthusiast. Just my 2 cents and have fun:D

I like the look of Rampage III BE, that's why I want it... ;)

Otherwise I think SR-2 together with 2 x X5680 is a little bit to expensive and good for my needs :P

I'd recommend taking your time and doing as much research as it takes to be comfortable with your parts purchases.

good website:

http://skinneelabs.com/

Thanks, will have a look! But I think it's hard to choose and know what is THE VERY BEST.

You know, "My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best" ;)

vhaarr
03-28-2011, 03:03 PM
What about 2xEK-CoolStream XT 360 instead of the HWLabs? Any difference in performance? And what do you think about performance - 990x@4.5GHz possible with good temps?

CPU+mobo+ram=loop1 & GPU1+GPU2=loop2?

You said you were looking for performance only (i.e. not worried about noise), and I don't think (but I may be wrong) anything beats the HWLabs GTX360s with high RPM fans like the 1850 RPM GTs.

Of course the HWLabs GTX radiators are very restrictive though so you'll probably want to use two pumps like I said.

I would do 1 loop, there has been lots of testing done on single/dual loops and you can find a good article about it in the sticky post at the top of the LC forum. Basically you (in a real world scenario) never stress both CPU and GPUs at the same time, so if you split the loop, a high percent of the cooling performance from the radiators will be wasted at any given point depending on what component is being stressed.

theseeker
03-28-2011, 03:18 PM
I have noticed that you use the word "best" quite a bit. I am a best kind of person too, but in H20 cooling it is still somewhat subjective.
I love my Feser 120.4 and I am an Aqua loyalist when it comes to CPU blocks and an EK loyalist regarding FC GPU blocks.
You are in the right place to ask questions and from a performance standpoint, there is very little difference.
It basically boils down to personal prefrence, budget and looks.

gelatinousfury
03-28-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm basically in the same boat very soon, with respect to hardware, as the OP (i7 cpu + 2x GTX590's in SLI). I'm posting here because I think the discussion will be relevant to the OP as well.

My plan is for two separate loops:

1. CPU+Mobo+RAM with 120.3 radiator
2. GPU+GPU with additional 120.3 radiator

I'm not so concerned with the first loop at this time, but if I'm not mistaken the TDP of each GTX590 is 365W so a total of roughly 730 watts will have to be dissipated by the GPU loop radiator. Based off my observations at http://skinneelabs.com/triple-radiator-comparison-v2/4/, I'm looking at fan speeds of 2300rpm to dissipate that much heat with a 10deg. delta-T.

I'm thinking the reservoir will likely be the new Koolance RP-452X2 (since it can handle two separate loops) with two Koolance PMP-450 pumps installed.

Perhaps I should be considering something like a 140.3 radiator for the GTX590 SLI loop instead of 120.3; that may allow me to shave a few hundred rpm's off those radiator fans! :cool:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

hirsch
03-28-2011, 11:05 PM
You said you were looking for performance only (i.e. not worried about noise), and I don't think (but I may be wrong) anything beats the HWLabs GTX360s with high RPM fans like the 1850 RPM GTs.

Of course the HWLabs GTX radiators are very restrictive though so you'll probably want to use two pumps like I said.

I would do 1 loop, there has been lots of testing done on single/dual loops and you can find a good article about it in the sticky post at the top of the LC forum. Basically you (in a real world scenario) never stress both CPU and GPUs at the same time, so if you split the loop, a high percent of the cooling performance from the radiators will be wasted at any given point depending on what component is being stressed.

Okej, how should I setup the loop with two rads/pumps? Which part/component in which order?

I have noticed that you use the word "best" quite a bit. I am a best kind of person too, but in H20 cooling it is still somewhat subjective.
I love my Feser 120.4 and I am an Aqua loyalist when it comes to CPU blocks and an EK loyalist regarding FC GPU blocks.
You are in the right place to ask questions and from a performance standpoint, there is very little difference.
It basically boils down to personal prefrence, budget and looks.

And that is exactly what make this so hard, I would prefer if there were parts that were stamped "the BEST" so you didn't need to choose among parts that are almost as good... :P

I'm basically in the same boat very soon, with respect to hardware, as the OP (i7 cpu + 2x GTX590's in SLI). I'm posting here because I think the discussion will be relevant to the OP as well.

My plan is for two separate loops:

1. CPU+Mobo+RAM with 120.3 radiator
2. GPU+GPU with additional 120.3 radiator

I'm not so concerned with the first loop at this time, but if I'm not mistaken the TDP of each GTX590 is 365W so a total of roughly 730 watts will have to be dissipated by the GPU loop radiator. Based off my observations at http://skinneelabs.com/triple-radiator-comparison-v2/4/, I'm looking at fan speeds of 2300rpm to dissipate that much heat with a 10deg. delta-T.

I'm thinking the reservoir will likely be the new Koolance RP-452X2 (since it can handle two separate loops) with two Koolance PMP-450 pumps installed.

Perhaps I should be considering something like a 140.3 radiator for the GTX590 SLI loop instead of 120.3; that may allow me to shave a few hundred rpm's off those radiator fans! :cool:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Indeed that 2300rpm fans sounds really loud... :(

High-end components cooled by water sounds like a bad idea in a "regular" case, I may have a look at LD's WC case or something else REALLY HUGE that can fit some really big rads... :(

vhaarr
03-29-2011, 01:19 AM
Okej, how should I setup the loop with two rads/pumps? Which part/component in which order?

Loop order basically doesn't matter (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225485); you should put all the components in your case (or lay them out on a table roughly mirroring the internal mounts) and stretch tubing between them in the easiest/best route possible.

SNiiPE_DoGG
03-29-2011, 01:35 AM
So I sense a lot of Chomping at the bit, if you know what I mean. And I sense a lot of rush. Those are (typically) not good things in the watercooling hobby.

I think you should look into making a single rad system that cools you cpu and chipset first, with planning for another loop to be installed, and see how that goes first. If it works out and you get some good installation practice under your belt then go for the VGA and RAM in a second loop.

Having worked in the full tower Lian-Li's for installing two loops, it's no cake walk, nothing like a DD tower or an MM cube. you need to plan carefully, expect snags, and go slow!

hirsch
03-29-2011, 03:25 AM
Loop order basically doesn't matter (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225485); you should put all the components in your case (or lay them out on a table roughly mirroring the internal mounts) and stretch tubing between them in the easiest/best route possible.

What do you think about this?
http://i.solidfiles.net/210bc.png

So I sense a lot of Chomping at the bit, if you know what I mean. And I sense a lot of rush. Those are (typically) not good things in the watercooling hobby.

I think you should look into making a single rad system that cools you cpu and chipset first, with planning for another loop to be installed, and see how that goes first. If it works out and you get some good installation practice under your belt then go for the VGA and RAM in a second loop.

Having worked in the full tower Lian-Li's for installing two loops, it's no cake walk, nothing like a DD tower or an MM cube. you need to plan carefully, expect snags, and go slow!

I know that you probably are right, but taking it slow isn't fun.. :(

But of course, if I do this - I will try to doing it MDPC way - no compromises! Because the worst I know is bad looking PCs with a complete mess inside, bad cutted tubes, too long tubes etc.

What do you think about my sketch above?

And guys, thanks for your help so far - I really appreciate it!

luke997
03-29-2011, 03:49 AM
What do you think about my sketch above?

Looking good, you will be fine with single loop, however:
1) You may want to consider place the rad 2 higher up and drives/optical at the bottom - you'll struggle with optical due to it's length.

2) Depending how many drives/optical/controllers you want - you may struggle with 360 as rad 2, I've had to go with 240.

I've started my rig in similar case with similar setup (and a little bit more heat - from 3 480s), ended up adding 3rd 360 rad in the back but even with the 2 rads inside the temps weren't bad considering how much heat went into that loop - so you'll be fine too.

BTW - this is looking to be a nice rig so subbed - hopefully full worklog will follow!

hirsch
03-29-2011, 04:01 AM
1) You may want to consider place the rad 2 higher up and drives/optical at the bottom - you'll struggle with optical due to it's length.

2) Depending how many drives/optical/controllers you want - you may struggle with 360 as rad 2, I've had to go with 240.

I've started my rig in similar case with similar setup (and a little bit more heat - from 3 480s), ended up adding 3rd 360 rad in the back but even with the 2 rads inside the temps weren't bad considering how much heat went into that loop - so you'll be fine too.

BTW - this is looking to be a nice rig so subbed - hopefully full worklog will follow!

1 & 2) I will only use one 5.25 place (FC), got an external DVD/Blu-ray player! ;)

I know mate, your rig is my biggest inspiration :D

Thanks for your advices!

luke997
03-29-2011, 04:09 AM
1 & 2) I will only use one 5.25 place (FC), got an external DVD/Blu-ray player! ;)

I know mate, your rig is my biggest inspiration :D

Thanks for your advices!

In that case you should be fine. Can't wait for the build log pics :)

2 more things

1) You should consider going with a 12GB.

I though 6GB is fine but then I found this:

RAM article (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade)

Since you're planning to watercool your RAM it's always difficult to add another 6GB later.

2) What monitors are you going to use? If anything more than 2560x1600 in resolution, 2 or 3 GTX 580 3GB will be better than 2 590.
2 590 will be better in benchmarks only and few games where quad SLI scales and res is <2560x1600

hirsch
03-29-2011, 04:35 AM
In that case you should be fine. Can't wait for the build log pics :)

2 more things

1) You should consider going with a 12GB.

I though 6GB is fine but then I found this:

RAM article (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade)

Since you're planning to watercool your RAM it's always difficult to add another 6GB later.

2) What monitors are you going to use? If anything more than 2560x1600 in resolution, 2 or 3 GTX 580 3GB will be better than 2 590.
2 590 will be better in benchmarks only and few games where quad SLI scales and res is <2560x1600

Hehe:up:

1) I actually have 12GB today, but because of the time it takes to run a max round in Linx/IBT am I thinking of 6GB instead! *half joking, half serious* :D

And the lack of OC ability, atleast my 980x suffer for more memory, or maybe it's because of the heat from high QPI Voltage ---> 12GB Dominator GT@1866 CL8?

2) Today I've got 3xSamsung XL2370 (1920x1080) in an Eyefinity-setup. Planning a new U3011 instead of these... but I don't know, someone is gonna pay it too... :wasntme:

chorner
03-29-2011, 06:42 AM
If I can throw in any input, it would be to stick with the X58 platform if you're building now. In my opinion, Sandy Bridge is the 'kiddy' platform and not quite as good when you load it up with multiple video cards plus all of your other equipment. It's still a mainstream - budget platform even if the chip shows marginal gains in some benchmarks, the platform as a whole still isn't as solid as the X58. With that 990 you're good to go.. and did I mention overclocking is boring on Sandy Bridge? :)

vhaarr
03-29-2011, 01:47 PM

That looks very nice indeed :) Just remember if you can get a single block for the MB, that will in most cases provide lower restriction than having 2 or even 3 MB blocks. Pretty obvious, I guess :)

Very nice catch by luke997 there, you will get problems putting anything in the 5.25" bays at the top - tubing is flexible but not that flexible :p:

Not sure what pumps you've settled on, if any, but remember that a dual top (that combines 2 pumps) might increase their performance - although I'm not sure about that.

NaeKuh
03-29-2011, 03:36 PM

i see a full board block in there.. I see TOO MANY blocks as matter of fact... how can u say he's going to be good with a single loop?

Sorry whenever you add a full board block alone u go dual loops, and stick the board with the gpu at the very least, and leave the cpu alone.. or get the cpu and gpu, and put the board on its own tiny loop.

Full Board blocks are not the best with flow conservation.
And they may even be more restrictive then cpu blocks.

Your trying to gobble too many things in 1 loop, and it may end up being more of a headache then what you think.
If you have that many blocks, i would go with at least dual loops.
At the very least, put your GPU with everything else, and leave the cpu alone.

And i would most definitely get QDC's on the gpu so you can do fast swaps, or fast service on your secondary loop.

gelatinousfury
03-29-2011, 04:28 PM
And i would most definitely get QDC's on the gpu so you can do fast swaps, or fast service on your secondary loop.

That brings up a good question. For anyone out there with watercooling experience, where are the optimal places in a loop (besides at the GPU's) to put quick-disconnects? If cost is not considered, should QDC's be at every location possible, or only certain spots that will prove useful down the road when doing maintenance?

Those leak-free QDC's look really useful but they're so damn big...

MagisD
03-29-2011, 05:05 PM
If can between elements that you swap and or, not aka input output of rads between pump and board.

In essence between the three main parts pumps rads blocks.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

Clay
03-29-2011, 06:48 PM
The ultimate water cooling setup?

I myself don't really know much about these newer components. What's on the top of lists and stuff like that. But I am myself a big advocate of the cpu only loop. And by that drawing it looks to me,like you have a lot heat and pressure drop(flow resistance) before the water ever even get's near your cpu. And probably quite warm water at that. I dunno much about these new processors either. But I do know they run very hot. And the more cooler water you can run over your cpu, The better clocks you can wring out of it. So my opinion is cpu only on one 1/2" loop with a big pump.. Put everything else on another loop. You might also consider dropping the mem block. As I am certain it will not help your overclock,and should be somewhat counter productive in cooling your graphics and board.. Plus it adds headaches to the plumbing. It really is just something else to go wrong. Good direct fans and good case airflow is I believe the best medicine here.

Best to you. And I'd like to see how it turns out..
"Clay"

penguins
03-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Sorry whenever you add a full board block alone u go dual loops, and stick the board with the gpu at the very least, and leave the cpu alone.. or get the cpu and gpu, and put the board on its own tiny loop.

says the multi-loop Radical :)

I would go with a dual loop too, but it's not 100% necessary. esp trying to figure out which you should put on what loop. Since the GPU's are going to put out the most heat, wouldn't it make more sense to put the ram and board on the cpu ? ( if he had only 2 equal rads as in the pic above )

luke997
03-29-2011, 08:48 PM
i see a full board block in there.. I see TOO MANY blocks as matter of fact... how can u say he's going to be good with a single loop?

Because I did (among others) similar single loop with very similar hardware and results are more than good imo.

I have 7 blocks, 3 rads, couple 90 fittings,tons of 45 and I'm getting 225-230l/h and great temps. My OC on GPUs,CPUs is very decent for a mediocre 980x - all in my sig and worklog.

Single and dual is endless debate, I don't want go for it again here - you all know pros/cons of both solutions depending on the usage.
My point is it can be easily done with the OP hardware. Moreover, with 2 pumps you have redundancy, less spaced used and better looks since OP doesn't have space for bay res/pump combo - all in all to me better solution.

vhaarr
03-30-2011, 12:20 AM
And by that drawing it looks to me,like you have a lot heat and pressure drop(flow resistance) before the water ever even get's near your cpu. And probably quite warm water at that.

I was under the impression that the temperature of the water in your loop evens out after just a few minutes. Perhaps there'll be a 1 degree difference at any two points in the loop, but not more.

Clay
03-30-2011, 07:48 AM
Point taken... But even so. Why would you want your cpu to share the extra heat load and pressure drop with two big hot gfx cards and a restrictive board block? When it would certainly run cooler by itself.

antiacid
03-30-2011, 08:06 AM
I was under the impression that the temperature of the water in your loop evens out after just a few minutes. Perhaps there'll be a 1 degree difference at any two points in the loop, but not more.

clearly, the water temperature right inside a CPU block is 1degree away from the temperature of the water exiting the radiator in the same loop and this is definitely not why we use temperature deltas!

lol

Gimmpy224
03-30-2011, 08:13 AM

Then there wouldn't be much heat transferring to the water then would there?

antiacid
03-30-2011, 08:27 AM
http://i.solidfiles.net/210bc.png

if you want to go single loop, I suggest dropping the ram block because it is useless from a performance point of view.

Without changing much of the components placement, I would say move a pump to a bay, do a gpu only loop with the front res/bottom pump and do a cpu/mobo loop with the top rad/pump. This would keep the tubing clutter to a minimum. Even tidier would be a bay reservoir with a pump combo.

Finally, I wonder about the utility of 2x6990 or 2x590gtx if you aren't gaming above 1x30in monitor. A single one of those card is plenty for 2560x1600 and with the cash you saved on that second card, you can buy a 2nd 30in monitor!

Here's a part list:

CPU Block: apogee XT
GPU Block: EK FC6990
MOBO block: whichever you end up getting (I'm using a x58a-ud7 + FC block and it overclocks like a beast so I will recommend that as well)
Reservoir: Koolance RP-452X2
Fittings: 14 compression fittings from your favorite company/color scheme (I'd recommend getting at least 2x 45degree rotary fittings, they're always handy)
Tubing: Primochill LRT, whatever color
Radiators: 2x MCR320

m0r7if3r
03-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Then there wouldn't be much heat transferring to the water then would there?

The water is a body, not individual molecules. There's a rather large level of turbulent flow throughout the loop, which mixes the molecules together and transfers the heat between them, equalizing the temperatures in the loop. The amount of heat transferred to the water at a given load level is (essentially) constant, the temperature of the water rises until the difference (delta) between the air and the water is enough that the radiator is dissipating all the energy being put into the loop. Because of newtonian cooling, you have to look at the difference in temperatures between the cooling medium and the thing being cooled.

Gimmpy224
03-30-2011, 08:34 AM
The water is a body, not individual molecules. There's a rather large level of turbulent flow throughout the loop, which mixes the molecules together and transfers the heat between them, equalizing the temperatures in the loop. The amount of heat transferred to the water at a given load level is (essentially) constant, the temperature of the water rises until the difference (delta) between the air and the water is enough that the radiator is dissipating all the energy being put into the loop. Because of newtonian cooling, you have to look at the difference in temperatures between the cooling medium and the thing being cooled.

I do believe that I stand corrected.

Damn you physics!

antiacid
03-30-2011, 11:09 AM
The water is a body, not individual molecules. There's a rather large level of turbulent flow throughout the loop, which mixes the molecules together and transfers the heat between them, equalizing the temperatures in the loop.

no no no.

That's like saying if I pee in the atlantic ocean, the indian ocean instantly rises in temperature. It's a rather disconcerting shortcut that you're taking here.

That the flow is turbulent, mixed or laminar changes nothing to the basic principles in play here. You probably would find examples of all three flows in your system if you decided to check the Reynolds number at different point in your system.

What is important to remember from all of this is that your water heats and cools locally in the loop but because water has a high capacity to carry heat, it's also "difficult" to shed that excess heat back into the radiator. Therefore, the water heats up on average over time until a dynamic equilibrium point is reached.

in pseudo-maths, it would look like this:

energy in = energy_stored_water + energy_out

because the energy transfers most easily between high delta of temperatures, when your water gets warmer, it's farther away from the ambient temperature and therefore the rate of exchange of energy is increased, hence the "dynamic equilibrium" (constant temperatures all around, but not necessarily equal temperatures all around).

m0r7if3r
03-30-2011, 11:24 AM
That's like saying if I pee in the atlantic ocean, the indian ocean instantly rises in temperature. It's a rather disconcerting shortcut that you're taking here.

That the flow is turbulent, mixed or laminar changes nothing to the basic principles in play here. You probably would find examples of all three flows in your system if you decided to check the Reynolds number at different point in your system.

What is important to remember from all of this is that your water heats and cools locally in the loop but because water has a high capacity to carry heat, it's also "difficult" to shed that excess heat back into the radiator. Therefore, the water heats up on average over time until a dynamic equilibrium point is reached.

in pseudo-maths, it would look like this:

energy in = energy_stored_water + energy_out

because the energy transfers most easily between high delta of temperatures, when your water gets warmer, it's farther away from the ambient temperature and therefore the rate of exchange of energy is increased, hence the "dynamic equilibrium" (constant temperatures all around, but not necessarily equal temperatures all around).

If the atlantic ocean were (proportionately speaking) as turbulent as your loop the heat from my piss would spread around pretty darn quick (though shame on you for comparing a macro system to a micro system)

Are you saying that, to some degree, the cross-section of any given flow in your loop isn't turbulent? Cause that's just downright false. There's a pretty large amount of turbulence for the amount of water in our loops.

vhaarr
03-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Point taken... But even so. Why would you want your cpu to share the extra heat load and pressure drop with two big hot gfx cards and a restrictive board block? When it would certainly run cooler by itself.
Because at no point during regular use will the CPU and GPUs be under constant load at the same time.

Thus you would waste radiator area cooling one thing when it could be used cooling another.

If your pumps can handle the restriction, obviously - and his loop can. Especially if he drops the RAM block and goes with a single MB block, like antiacid suggested.

But I already mentioned this earlier in the thread :)

The debate about water temperatures inside your loop has been had, studied, discussed and concluded elsewhere already. I don't remember where, but if I suddenly do, I will edit this post to add a link.

aerial
03-31-2011, 11:41 PM
As for radiators i would suggest using 280 rads.

- you will not need new top panel, original A77f one has 2x140 mounting holes
- you can install optical drive on the top of the case with no problem
- with another 280 on front of the case, you end up with multiple free 5,25 bays
- 280 rad is almost as good as 360, there is only 10% difference in surface, + there is very good selection of 140mm fans these days
- there is possibility of using 3rd 280mm radiator on the floor, along psu, if for some reason you ever needed more cooling power, will require mod (cut holes)

hirsch
07-19-2011, 03:33 AM
Hello guys, nothing new regarding my build yet...

But I've end up with some new hardware and my hole WC-setup are almost done.

WC Parts I've right now:
EK-CoolStream RAD XT (360)
EK-CoolStream RAD XT (480)
EK-Multioption RES X2 - 400 Advanced
Tygon tubing @ 19/13mm
Bitspower compression fittings

Before I make my last order (Blocks & Pumps) I've some last questions: Cooling wise what should be best in a single loop? 2xGPU block (HD6990) or 3xGPU block (HD6970)? I'm thinking to buy this pump - http://www.aquatuning.se/product_info.php/info/p2833_Aquacomputer-Aquastream-XT-USB--12V-Pump--Ultra-Version.html - any toughts? Will one be enough or should I go with two? Are they quiet?

hirsch
07-20-2011, 07:00 AM
Cmon, I want to order today!

hirsch
07-23-2011, 09:18 AM
No answers?!