PDA

View Full Version : EK Block for Radeon 4850

LeeH
03-25-2011, 07:20 AM
I am taking apart my loop and expanding it to the NB/SB etc. I have a swiftech gpu block which I am replacing with an EK full block. Just a note that I am not a "gamer" so don't particularly care about the latest gpu. I just want to keep this one nice and cool in an overclocked build.

My issue is that there is an extension piece that is screwed on to the right side to cover some chips (mosfet and vr, I guess). When I do a fit on that piece, that extension block covers the chips but only touches the small VR chips. The other 4 chips which it should touch are a ways away from touching the block. I would expect them all to touch and then compress the thermal pad that is supposed to be installed.

All other aspects of the main part of the block seem ok. I suppose I could put on several layers of thermal pad, but don't know if that is a good idea.

Have tried to register at EK for support but am not getting an email back to activate account.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Lee

NaeKuh
03-25-2011, 09:15 AM
:X

You are going to a generation on GPU blocks that forced a change on eK to implement standoffs.

But yes i know exactly where your going at.

Id try to get a thicker Tim pad and see if u can fill in the gap without having to tighten the card so much that it warps.

Anyhow... this thread should look familar, because its the exact same block your running into problems with:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3365293#post3365293

LeeH
03-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Appreciate that reminder. When I got the 4850, I was the "first on my block to have one". I had forgotten all about that standoff issue (not that I would have related it to my problem now anyway:) ).

oddly enough, the point at which it fails to contact chips won't be affected by tightening anyway. I have some heavier pads so I think, Ill try a couple of those. The chip areas covered on the main part of the block seem just fine.

I will however watch how I tighten that block.

Lee

NaeKuh
03-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Appreciate that reminder. When I got the 4850, I was the "first on my block to have one". I had forgotten all about that standoff issue (not that I would have related it to my problem now anyway:) ).

oddly enough, the point at which it fails to contact chips won't be affected by tightening anyway. I have some heavier pads so I think, Ill try a couple of those. The chip areas covered on the main part of the block seem just fine.

I will however watch how I tighten that block.

Lee

yeah use thicker pads.. and try to keep the warp to a min.

Thats the best advice i can honestly give ya...

also i would still try to put a small active fan at the rear.
I remember the VRMs getting hot on that card.

which is why block manufactors all went to active waterways on the vrms on the newer gens.