PDA

View Full Version : Full sleeved PSUs

Simonzi
03-22-2011, 09:04 AM
I have a Corsair AX850 on it's way to me right now, and it's going into a Silverstone FT01, which is going to be replaced with a Corsair 650D soon. The internals have a black\blue theme going on (P6X58D and Kingston HyperX). I plan on fully sleeving each individual wire. I've read the great guide here, and that's what I plan on following. What I'm looking for though, are pictures and examples of fully sleeved PSUs. I don't think I want to do 100% solid black, but I'm not sure of how it'd be best to incorporate blue sleeving in there as well.

As well, I'm trying to find alternatives of where to get the sleeving. Since I want to do it right the first time, I probably will just suck it up and order from MDPCX, spend the extra money and wait the extra time to get it. But are there other places to get high quality sleeving from in the US? Someone had recommended me TechFlex, but I can't find a good supplier of it, or any examples of it used.

Lastly, fully sleeving each individual wire on a PSU, how much does that generally take on average? All the standard cables will be sleeved, and enough PCIe cables for 2x GTX480s. I'm really horrible at estimating this stuff, but don't want to buy too little, or grossly overbuy.

Any input would be awesome, thanks :)

DragoonXX
03-22-2011, 09:11 AM
best way to guess out how much you'll need is to take a read from the length of the wires +10-25% (depending on your confidence level) from the manufacturer website or review sites
and most people will recommend MDPC sleeving
edit: I should note that I personally have never done full PSU sleeving, just going by what I seem to recall having read for estimating lengths

Simonzi
03-22-2011, 09:50 AM
best way to guess out how much you'll need is to take a read from the length of the wires +10-25% (depending on your confidence level) from the manufacturer website or review sites
and most people will recommend MDPC sleeving
edit: I should note that I personally have never done full PSU sleeving, just going by what I seem to recall having read for estimating lengths

Yeah, I probably will just end up going with MDPCX. Generally when something is regarded as the best, there's a reason for it.

Would still love some examples of sleeve jobs with some color thrown in, that aren't just one solid color, so I can see what looks good to sprinkle some blue into it.

shazza
03-22-2011, 10:00 AM
While the thread is quite long now, you're best bet really is to go through the last 20 pages or so of the Sleeving Guide thread. Also look through the Liquid Cooling worklog section as well as the Galleries in both the Liquid Cooling section and here. I assume you've also checked out the photos on the MDPC website.

I'm guessing you're looking primarily for photos of just the fully sleeved PSU, of which there aren't a lot.

edit: also worth a preview of Martin's gallery (http://psychoSleeve.com/gallery.html) as well. No fully sleeved PSU's, but lots of color combos.

Simonzi
03-22-2011, 11:43 AM
While the thread is quite long now, you're best bet really is to go through the last 20 pages or so of the Sleeving Guide thread. Also look through the Liquid Cooling worklog section as well as the Galleries in both the Liquid Cooling section and here. I assume you've also checked out the photos on the MDPC website.

I'm guessing you're looking primarily for photos of just the fully sleeved PSU, of which there aren't a lot.

edit: also worth a preview of Martin's gallery (http://psychoSleeve.com/gallery.html) as well. No fully sleeved PSU's, but lots of color combos.

Thanks for the info. I started going through the guide, but started at the front, there aren't many examples going in that way. I'll try going in from the end though. That other link is great as well, that's pretty much what I'm looking for. Is just cables sleeved with different combinations, so I can see what looks good. Thanks :)

theseeker
03-22-2011, 02:06 PM
MDPCX is the best by far. Just get yourself the sleeve kit and do not look back!
The first few wires will take you a while to get the hang of it. Start off with the simplest wires first and do the 24 pin last.

Simonzi
03-26-2011, 06:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QSSns.jpg

Sucked it up, order placed!

Now I can't wait to get it so I can start sleeving my AX850 :D

My build is so close to being done, all I need now is a Corsair 650D, and another GTX480. Boo for running out of money :(