PDA

View Full Version : Onboard RAID 5 overhead?

chuchnit
03-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Hey guys, I have a few questions for you storage gurus. I am in the process of planning my build and can't decide on my storage setup. OS drives will be 2 R0 64GB C300's. Where I am stuck is my platter drives. I have two Samsung F3 1TB's currently and can't decide how to utilize them. First option is to run those in R0 for games/programs + an additional 2-3TB drive for backup. The other option is to buy another F3 and run R5 and scrap the larger platter drive (for now). The backup part will be a moot point later this year when I put a file server together.

Ok so back on point. I know the XOR computations are supposed to be CPU intensive but how much does that matter on these newer faster CPU's? Is there too much overhead to use the onboard ICH in R5 on an array that will be used for daily task like gaming?

Oats
03-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Put your games/programs on the SSDs. Why get fast SSDs and then have everything you use load from slow platter drives?

If 1TB is enough for your data use one for data and one for backups. If you need 2TB and could use the speed then R0 them(if you don't need the speed then just keep them separate) and get a 2TB for backup.

I wouldn't recommend R5 unless you need 100% uptime and can't afford the few hours to get the data off your backup drive. R5 will have much lower write speed too.

chuchnit
03-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Put your games/programs on the SSDs. Why get fast SSDs and then have everything you use load from slow platter drives?

If 1TB is enough for your data use one for data and one for backups. If you need 2TB and could use the speed then R0 them(if you don't need the speed then just keep them separate) and get a 2TB for backup.

I wouldn't recommend R5 unless you need 100% uptime and can't afford the few hours to get the data off your backup drive. R5 will have much lower write speed too.

Well I only have two 64GB SSD's. My steam folder takes up 105GB. That's not including store bought games. I just don't have the space. Ya after starting this thread last night I got to thinking about it more. I really don't want my storage array taking up too many CPU cycles. Thanks for the input though.

Oats
03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Maybe only your most used games then, so you at least have some games taking advantage of the SSDs speed.

danielkza
03-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Well I only have two 64GB SSD's. My steam folder takes up 105GB. That's not including store bought games. I just don't have the space. Ya after starting this thread last night I got to thinking about it more. I really don't want my storage array taking up too many CPU cycles. Thanks for the input though.

You can use symbolic links to spread some of the Steam games to another drive (Google 'mklink').

chuchnit
03-23-2011, 03:42 AM
Thank you. I read a while back on having alternate directories with Steam. I couldn't for the life of me remember the name to the thread to search for it. Thanks for the term.