PDA

View Full Version : how much is too much? (flowrate)

darckhart
03-15-2011, 10:13 AM
hi all

a friend is dismantling his aquarium setup and i can grab a mag 5 from him. so my question is how much flowrate is too much? i think the mag 5 does about 8 gpm.

i would be running cpu block for my i7-920 + 2x FC gpu blocks for the GTX580s.

thanks

gmat
03-15-2011, 10:36 AM
*There* *is* *no* *overkill* repeat after me ;)
And there is no such thing as "too much" flow rate by the way your actual flow will be a lot lower with all the waterblocks, fittings, and radiators.

NaeKuh
03-15-2011, 10:40 AM
mmm okey ... lets look at pumps.

In our hobby, head pressure is also important as flow is.
We ignore head pressure, because most of the pumps we use have awesome head pressure on them.

We look at the pump your looking at:

Head Height (in feet) Gallons per Hour
0' 570
1' 480
3' 425
5' 325
7' 205
10.5'

We can see max head is 10.5

Now look at a liang which has a max head pressure of 20.2 feet.

Ummm... u can see the difference in pumps...

The pump your looking at is great when you have NO restriction.
Its a pond pump made to pump water from one source to another without restriction, or very little restriction.

The pumps we use for watercooling are high pressure pumps. They are designed to push though restriction, which is why we have the higher head pressure.

If you use the wrong pump, add restriction, you will be very quickly sad, because u will notice almost 0 flow though your system regardless of what it says.
Because all your blocks combined will probably equal to a lot of head pressure, and your pump will leave a sour taste in your mouth.

relttem
03-15-2011, 10:41 AM
the only thing you'd have to worry about is bursting a line because of the pump head v's the pressure drop

NaeKuh
03-15-2011, 10:41 AM
the only thing you'd have to worry about is bursting a line because of the pump head v's the pressure drop

lol yes thats true rel, if you have a super pump greater then an RD-30.

He's using a straight pond pump, which was designed for 0 restriction minus the head distance.

relttem
03-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I agree..

I was just saying, as I have seen a poor clamp/fitting and a little pump head with some pressure drop and, bingo, you have a fountain..:)

NaeKuh
03-15-2011, 10:48 AM
I agree..

I was just saying, as I have seen a poor clamp/fitting and a little pump head with some pressure drop and, bingo, you have a fountain..:)

wahahahhahaha..

i had niagra falls in my system...

In my old setup days:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0706.jpg

You can see all the keys to disaster..

1. RD-30
2. PA in front without Clamps.

So you imagine what happens when you think your RD-30 is at the lowest setting but ends up being in the highest setting.

And then turning your system on with over 14-15psi... without clamps.. :rofl:

NKrader
03-15-2011, 11:02 AM
anything.
>9000gph is unnecessary

:shrug:

LOL..

NaeKuh
03-15-2011, 11:27 AM
anything.
>9000gph is unnecessary

:shrug:

LOL..

all of us would really be like:
http://forum.cheatengine.org/files/over9000-2_186.jpg

darckhart
03-15-2011, 11:53 AM
hahaha and then my eyepiece would shatter.

ok good to know. do wb come with this head pressure value (given some known amount of flow) so that i could correspond with pump's head height or will i have to go digging around for that info?

or more specifically, 205 gph (3.4 gpm) at 7' wouldn't be enough for these 3 blocks? so is there a guesstimate table? i.e. fc gtx580 is like 5'.

side note: currently my setup accommodates just the cpu block and does a decent job. i was getting ahead of myself to check and see if new pump (plus other stuff to accommodate added heat load) would mean i could finally put the video cards under water too.

thanks

NaeKuh
03-15-2011, 12:58 PM
another thing... the pump your looking at is an AC pump.

Better used on systems outside, because of the AC power requirement.

The pumps we use are DC, so they plug right into the PSU.

Again, its probably to your best interest to get a hobby DC pump, because the last thing u want is a running pump without running fans on a radiator.

darckhart
03-15-2011, 02:47 PM
yea my existing system is AC so no worries there.

Martinm210
03-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Somewhere between 20-60 watts of pumping power depending on your radiator/fan combo:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=257777&highlight=pump+heat

Here is a typical triple radiator:
http://a.imageshack.us/img825/4126/mcr320.png

Two pumps in series (30 to 60 watts worth) is generally going to be about as good as you can do before pump heat dump starts doing more harm than the good that flow rate is providing.

meanmoe
03-15-2011, 07:09 PM
mmm okey ... lets look at pumps.

In our hobby, head pressure is also important as flow is.
We ignore head pressure, because most of the pumps we use have awesome head pressure on them.

We look at the pump your looking at:

Head Height (in feet) Gallons per Hour
0' 570
1' 480
3' 425
5' 325
7' 205
10.5'

We can see max head is 10.5

Now look at a liang which has a max head pressure of 20.2 feet.

Ummm... u can see the difference in pumps...

Just how did you get head from flow rate?

darckhart
03-15-2011, 09:14 PM
it was on the pump spec sheet.

i'm just a bit surprised that's not enough for 3 blocks. after i find some reducers i'm gonna try it out for kicks.

gmat
03-16-2011, 02:14 AM
i'm just a bit surprised that's not enough for 3 blocks.

Some pumps are optimized for flow, some are optimized for head pressure. You can clearly see that in the Iwaki line of pumps for example, where similar models have just different volutes/impellers and end up with inverse (of each other) head/flow performance charts.
PC watercooling is a high head pressure application, any pump optimized for flow will perform poorly there.

nikhsub1
03-16-2011, 07:04 AM
hi all

a friend is dismantling his aquarium setup and i can grab a mag 5 from him...
I know I haven't been around much (my avatar is sitting on my living room floor doing nothing, lonely) and I've nothing to add to this other than I literally thought I had somehow jumped into a thread from 2002. :yepp: