Center: HTM62

L/R: 685

Rear-left/Rear-Right: 686

Cable: All generic OFC

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-LX52

Sub: Velodyne SPL-1200U

I want to upgrade and get:

B&W HTM61 for all 5 channels

Just want some feedback on this. Thanks.

CryptiK
03-13-2011, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't go that path myself. I'd choose a full floorstander for the fronts (684/683/CM series etc), HTM61 for the centre (or even keep your HTM62), use the 685's for rears and sell your 686's (or use them in another room for a small stereo setup).

Personally I'd be running such speakers from a better receiver too (nothing wrong with yours but it's not matched to your speakers quality wise), and have a 2 channel amp for the fronts and use the receiver to drive the rears and centre. I think by at the least upgrading the fronts and getting a 2ch amp to run them you'd gain a lot more sound quality and better imaging and sound stage in both music and HT applications, and moving the 685's to the rear would improve HT performance.

nirvana_1911
03-13-2011, 07:39 PM
They way the room is setup, I am unable to have floorstanders for the front left and right speakers.
Home theater enthusiasts will say that ideally for a 5.1 setup, all 5 speakers should be identical.
My thoughts were the HTM61 has a 90dBL, is a true 3-way speaker, features the FST cone, and therefore will be better sounding than the HTM62, 686 and 685.
What HT receiver would you recommend?
I am looking at getting the newer Pioneer receiver.
I cannot afford a 10K Marantz receiver btw.
I do like your idea of a 2-channel stereo amp for the L/R channel though.
I can use the 7.1 receiver pre-outs to the 2-channel amp.
Which amp would you recommend?

CryptiK
03-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Why can't you have floorstanders for the fronts? You have 685's and with stands (http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/685.html) they have a very similar footprint to for example the 683's. With that in mind, why can't you use floorstanders for fronts? Do you not use stands and run them on shelves or on your entertainment unit or wall mounted?

I have seen some huge dollar HT/music setups and none had all the same speaker model. They did almost exclusively use the same speaker brand though, as the sonic signature is similar. Most had a decent set of floorstanders for the fronts, a centre speaker for the centre and smaller units (usually 2 ways) on stands for the rears. In a blind test you'd be very hard pressed to identify whether someone had all 5 speakers the exact same or not, especially with a non HI-FI source like HT. Most would argue however that decent fronts add weight to the sound, and will enhance music (non HT source) reproduction enormously.

Amp and receiver choice is totally dependent on budget and taste. Personally I'd get an amp first, but which one is up to you, I could suggest a few but you really just have to go to stores and listen to them.

nirvana_1911
03-13-2011, 10:12 PM
The 685's and HTM62 are on a desk. :)
I'll look into it, thanks for your input.
What brands/models of AV receiver and stereo amp you recommend?

CryptiK
03-14-2011, 02:27 AM
Is this in a bedroom, because if it is a receiver is probably as much power as the room can handle unless it very large.

Receiver brands: Denon AVR series, 2210, 3310 etc, might not be able to get any 2010 models now but worth a listen. Marantz make nice gear, SR7005 is good entry level, gets better from there up. Pinoeer and Onkyo I find a little lacking music quality wise, and a bit too generic for my taste. It's all subjective though so just giving my opinion.

Amps: Depends how audiophile you want to go. You could try Rotel, Marantz etc or something more high end like Classe or Krell. Classe amps sound gorgeous with B&W gear, but for example the CA-2300 has an rrp of 7K. Cambridge are worth a listen on the more entry level of things, Denon even make excellent quality 2CH amps, but are often overlooked in favour of the more 'in' esoteric brands.

If you can, when you audition amps/receivers, use the same speakers you have at home, or if they don't stock them, take in yours. Well worth it so you know how they interact. It's all about balance and matching things that accentuate each other and just 'work'.

nirvana_1911
03-14-2011, 03:25 AM
Thanks CryptiK, but that is all big dollar stuff and would probably have to upgrade speakers even more and speaker cable to suite those high ends DACs/AMPs.