PDA

View Full Version : Radiator positioning in CM HAF932

KennyC
03-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Hi,

I know this is an old topic and I have read several web sites and none have answered my question, unless maybe I just don't understand.

I have a HAF 932 case with a 2X120 radiator. I'm in the process of upgrading the mob, cpu, ram so I decided to pull it all out and maybe reconfigure it.

Previously I had the radiator mounted on the bottom of the case. So the fans were pulling cool air into case from the bottom and through the rad then up out the top/back. I see a lot of people mount the rad on top of the HAF932 and pull air into the case from the top and through the rad and out the back.

Now here is my question, why would I want pull air down into my case from the top and have it exit out the back instead of pulling air up into my case from the bottom and have it exit out the top/back? Is it because the warm air from the rad is blowing under the video card? I've always based case cooling on heat rises and have the air fans blow down into the case fights the heat rises scenario.

Also if I do mount the radiator on the top which side of the rad would the fan be best on. Pull or push?

I'm basically looking for the best positioning for my radiator with the best air flow direction. I'm sure tons have WCed this cases and I'm just hoping to grab some advise.

Thanks.

Conumdrum
03-02-2011, 04:11 AM
No. The primary reason is watercooling is 100% dependant on the air temp through the rad. Your air is 20C, your CPU temps are xx. Your air temp is 23C, your CPU temp is XX+3C. Simple, thats the reason people pull cooler room ir through the rad first. And no other reason.

KennyC
03-02-2011, 04:20 AM
No. The primary reason is watercooling is 100% dependant on the air temp through the rad. Your air is 20C, your CPU temps are xx. Your air temp is 23C, your CPU temp is XX+3C. Simple, thats the reason people pull cooler room ir through the rad first. And no other reason.

So what's the difference if I pull the air in/up from the bottom or in/down from the top?

Wega52
03-02-2011, 04:24 AM
So what's the difference if I pull the air in/up from the bottom or in/down from the top?

How it affects your airflow inside the case. I like to pull fresh cold air into the case in the bottom and in the front, and exhaust the warm air in the top and back.

KennyC
03-02-2011, 05:34 AM
How it affects your airflow inside the case. I like to pull fresh cold air into the case in the bottom and in the front, and exhaust the warm air in the top and back.

That's what i thought, but I see so many people with the rads on the top and back I was wondering.

cyriene
03-02-2011, 12:14 PM
You can fit a triple in the top, not so much on the bottom.

Conumdrum
03-02-2011, 04:08 PM
You see setups like that because it works. It all depends. If your temps are fine in the configuration you use, no worries.

Push is best with HS fans, Pull is better with LS fans. Warm air througjh the rad, choice or rads, fans, overall case airflow is the small things that can overwhelm new folks.

Just do what ya think is best, and adjust. Thankfully it's a hobby.