PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for top of the line - if not the best - cpu block (1366)

Rubycon
03-01-2011, 07:59 AM
As the title says.

Heatkiller full chrome plated came to mind.
Looking for something that's robust, not going to degrade under heavy use, not too restrictive but has enough flow for optimal heat transfer for socket 1366 hex core. (Westmere)

zalbard
03-01-2011, 08:00 AM
EK Supreme HF or Koolance 370.

theseeker
03-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Aqua Kryos HF

Wega52
03-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Aqua Kryos HF

Havent heard much about that one. Do you have any data/reviews on it? :)

To the OP: EK Supreme HF gets my vote.

TJ TRICHEESE
03-01-2011, 08:45 AM

This

theseeker
03-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Havent heard much about that one. Do you have any data/reviews on it? :)

To the OP: EK Supreme HF gets my vote.

Yes http://skinneelabs.com/aquacomputer-cuplex-kryos-xt/

Wega52
03-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Yes http://skinneelabs.com/aquacomputer-cuplex-kryos-xt/

Lol, I have no idea how I missed that :rolleyes:

Looks like a very solid performer, but my vote still goes to the HF. mainly because I like the look of the HF better but also because of a little better flow rate.

Thank you for the link theseeker :)

avddreamr
03-01-2011, 01:28 PM
I would wait until the koolance 370 reviews hit.

However the top blocks, apogee Xt, aqua computer cryos, ek hf , and the koolance 360/370 are close enough that a variation in how good of a mount you get can make anyone of those block perform better.

They are all pretty close, the difference is less withing a single degree centigrade.

The koolance 360/370 does have the benifit of being a relatively low restiction block that also has a good mounting system.

Just remember to pair up anyone of the blocks with indigo extreme to gain another 2c and nullify mounting variability.

Vinas
03-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Heat Killers are old and dusty IMHO.

theseeker
03-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Lol, I have no idea how I missed that :rolleyes:

Looks like a very solid performer, but my vote still goes to the HF. mainly because I like the look of the HF better but also because of a little better flow rate.

Thank you for the link theseeker :)

Your welcome. It usually comes down to personal prefrence as they all perform about the same. I have been an Aqua user for a very long time and when I first started H20 cooling EK was not around and Koolance was not highly thought of. However, Koolance is a top performer now.

Rubycon
03-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Both of those look decent.

What about pressure? Can these take 100 psig pressure? I'm willing to bet they cannot, and that's fine I'm certain that would not be an issue really as another water to water exchanger would be used, etc.

skinnee
03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
100 psig... WTF are you doing with pressure that high?

Oh, hi Ruby! :wave:

ScottALot
03-01-2011, 03:04 PM
EK Supreme HF
Aqua Kryos HF
XSPC Rasa (it's cheaper, but it has unbeatable flow/temp)

zulu9812
03-01-2011, 04:00 PM
To be honest, the top of the line CPU blocks are all within a couple of degrees of each other. I have used both the EK Supreme HF and the Swiftech Apogee XT and found negligible difference in temps (for the record, the EK was 2 degrees cooler). Having said that, the EK was a :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: to mount - it's in kit format that took ages to figure out how to put together, and longer still to actually do it because some of the parts didn't fit and I had to improvise. The Swiftech XT, on the other hand, was a breeze to fit and that's perhaps what you should focus on.

Martinm210
03-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Yeah, don't forget the mounting mechanism, sometimes a pretty big difference there may taylor to different user experience levels.

skuldarin
03-02-2011, 12:46 AM
i use a Koolance CPU360, the differences between the 360 and the new 370 isn't much other than fitting thread points are moved further apart making it easier for 3/4 tube fittings to fit... currently 3/4 fittings are such a tight fit that they can actually rub when installing.

JoeBar
03-02-2011, 05:16 AM
Nothing beats Swiftech regarding mounting mechanisms and since they always have a top performing block, they're at the #1 of my list for years...

NaeKuh
03-02-2011, 09:29 AM
The top 5 have very little difference if any, and be easily favored in one model over the other.

The top 5, is all down to looks. The Extra 1C gain u get from the difference wont help you any.

Go with whatever you think looks the best in your setup.
Can you honestly say 1C improvement is worth the eye candy the block brings as a package to your overall system?

My favorate is and will be the koolance 360. Im using a modified jet, so its simular to the 370.
I just dont have the bowed widened base, but im fairly sure i will get within 1C of vapor's 370's, because all its missing is a deeper bow.

So its going to be a while b4 i retire my 360.

But i do like the Kryos XT as well, i wish i had the new mounting systems for them, as i heard they fixed it a lot since my demo.
I like the Apogee XT, it has a very simple mounting system.
And i have yet to try a EK HF, but i hear they are great as well.

So just go with without u think looks the best.

Rubycon
03-02-2011, 05:09 PM
100 psig... WTF are you doing with pressure that high?

Oh, hi Ruby! :wave:

It's a long story on the pressure but I've been told it's no worry so typical <1 bar pressures seen in pc systems should be expected. ;)

The top 5 have very little difference if any, and be easily favored in one model over the other.

The top 5, is all down to looks. The Extra 1C gain u get from the difference wont help you any.

Go with whatever you think looks the best in your setup.
Can you honestly say 1C improvement is worth the eye candy the block brings as a package to your overall system?

My favorate is and will be the koolance 360. Im using a modified jet, so its simular to the 370.
I just dont have the bowed widened base, but im fairly sure i will get within 1C of vapor's 370's, because all its missing is a deeper bow.

So its going to be a while b4 i retire my 360.

But i do like the Kryos XT as well, i wish i had the new mounting systems for them, as i heard they fixed it a lot since my demo.
I like the Apogee XT, it has a very simple mounting system.
And i have yet to try a EK HF, but i hear they are great as well.

So just go with without u think looks the best.

Not overly concerned with looks as much as reliability and (of course!) performance.

Next area of concern is board blocks. How does the block reliably cool the southbridge if the inlet is over the northbridge and outlet near the mosfets? The DD block for the REXIII appears to have a heatpipe running from the southbridge area to the center of the block! Wouldn't a block that has the inlet near the bottom be better? Of course the challenge is to not block it with peripheral cards.

skinnee
03-02-2011, 05:40 PM
1 bar isn't a concern, but 100 psig is 6.89 bar (1 bar = 14.509 psi). :confused:

And your board block question... R3E block review (http://skinneelabs.com/asus-r3e_blocks/)

beast200
03-03-2011, 10:00 AM
hi

i go for the 370 or ek Hf
Had the first version for the EK good temps but bad fixing system
this tread got wondering if its time for a change
i have HK rev3 LT
thinking about koolance 370

would it be worth it as temps for 2500k @ 5000 get yo 68 -70

Rubycon
03-03-2011, 11:25 AM
1 bar isn't a concern, but 100 psig is 6.89 bar (1 bar = 14.509 psi). :confused:

And your board block question... R3E block review (http://skinneelabs.com/asus-r3e_blocks/)

Yikes chipset blocks are VERY restrictive. Those charts are scary indeed. I think it would explode! :D

meanmoe
03-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I doubt many parts used in pc watercooling are rated for 100psi. I'd worry about maintaining seals. Why run water with that type of pressure. If you have a high pressure cold water source, get a regulator and crank it on down.

with that pressure, would you need/want a block with fins?

EDIT: Maybe I mis-read. Are you using 100psi source or was it a mistake and you're using a 'normal' setup?

cstkl1
03-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Ek supreme HF + Indigo Extreme ( only if ure doing high cpu overclocks and testing that 80C-90C as this tim really performs on high temps)

Johnny87au
03-03-2011, 11:29 PM
So many blocks out that really or almost perform identical , I'd say the supreme hf as it's the lowest restrictive block or the swifty XT for the great mounting plates..

CedricFP
03-04-2011, 12:16 AM
XT for its mounting system. I tear down and rebuilt my loop way too often to waste time trying to get the perfect mount. Every mount is nearly perfect with the XT.

tiborrr
03-04-2011, 12:10 PM
EK-Supreme HF will soon start shipping with new mounting system. We are already mass producing the new mountings :up:
Price will remain the same!

Rubycon
03-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I doubt many parts used in pc watercooling are rated for 100psi. I'd worry about maintaining seals. Why run water with that type of pressure. If you have a high pressure cold water source, get a regulator and crank it on down.

with that pressure, would you need/want a block with fins?

EDIT: Maybe I mis-read. Are you using 100psi source or was it a mistake and you're using a 'normal' setup?

IF it were to be tapped directly off the CW source the pressure COULD be that high. (Gauge pressure)

More than likely if ship CW supply was tapped it would be circulated through a 316SS heat exchanger built to take 150psi etc. Then a simple pc pump could circulate water through a local loop. CW is a constant 9°C so a mixing (tempering) valve would need to be used to prevent condensation.

Thinking about it just makes me appreciate my H70 although I'd like lower load temps.

meanmoe
03-04-2011, 05:53 PM
IF it were to be tapped directly off the CW source the pressure COULD be that high. (Gauge pressure)

More than likely if ship CW supply was tapped it would be circulated through a 316SS heat exchanger built to take 150psi etc. Then a simple pc pump could circulate water through a local loop. CW is a constant 9°C so a mixing (tempering) valve would need to be used to prevent condensation.

Thinking about it just makes me appreciate my H70 although I'd like lower load temps.

I don't understand the differentiation between guage or not... most pressure measurements are guage pressure unless specified as differential or absolute - 100psi is still frickin high.

However, If I had an 'available' 9deg C source with a 100psi supply pressure, you better bet I'd use it.

Things I wouldn't do though:
I would not run it through my loop directly - I'd also use a heat exchanger and I'd also try to avoid the dew point (~15C?). I never thought of a tempering valve though - you mus have a hot source too. Are these heating and cooling supply lines?

I'd really like to know how this turns out if you care to share.