PDA

View Full Version : How do compression fittings leak?

Odai
02-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Hello,

I have a large number of 7/16" Bitspower compression fittings for use with my loop.

I have seen in the past people complaining their fittings develop leaks, but what I don't understand is, how exactly does a fitting leak? Are these examples simply referring to a bad seal at the o-ring?

NaeKuh
02-28-2011, 10:58 AM
oring gets uncompressed from tubing torque after installtion over time.

There is also the barb cutting into the tubing allowing water to travel along the tear and leaking.

Biffa
02-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Only leaks I've had specifically with Bitspowers are leaks of angled rotatable fittings

sabe
02-28-2011, 05:41 PM
1) Bad external o-ring.
2) Bad internal o-rings for some rotaries and adapters.
3) Compression fitting cutting the tubes when fully tightened.
4) Putting the tubes on before tightening the base fitting fully, the tubes start to twist as you fasten the ring on. It begins to untwist slowly and loosen the fitting resulting in failure of the o-ring seal.

theseeker
02-28-2011, 06:08 PM
The only way to have no leaks is to do what Charles and Blue Aqua taught me; 1/2" barbs with 3/8" ID tubing, burn off most of your skin and they will never leak!:D
Belive me, it works, but you have to work too!

Martinm210
02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Operator error :hitself:.... yeah I spill all the time. I've pretty much figure if there is a way to make something leak, I will find it sooner or later..:D

Odai
03-02-2011, 06:17 AM
Thanks for all the advice. :)

The reason I ask is, I recently received 6 of the Bitspower compression fittings, and have noticed the rings are slighly more loose on base threads than the fittings I already have. They can be moved around a lot more when not fully tightened. I'm not sure if this is simply just a normal variation between manufactured batches, or whether they (all 6) have been deformed. The fit is still tight when the tubing is fitted.