PDA

View Full Version : EK Coolstream revision?

Odai
02-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Hello,

Looking at EK's web page (http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/index.php?page=radiators)for their 120 size radiators, I see a note saying there has been a revision to these products improving their performance.

The page says the revision was made in March 2010, but the only review I can find of the radiator (Skinee's) is from January 2010, predating the revision.

Anyone know exactly how EK modified the radiator, and the difference in performance?

skinnee
02-28-2011, 10:54 AM
:shrug:

I'll see if I can coordinate a test of the revised radiator.

Eddy_EK
02-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Radiator has 8mm space between fins (initially 6mm) and is better performer. But don't expect to beat thicker rads ;)

Church
02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Eddy_EK: beating swiftech MCRs would be fine enough goal. In many european LC shops your rads are cheaper then MCRs (probably because of overseas shipping costs), would be nice to hear if updated rev also wins cooling performance wise. Price/performance niche imho is more important then getting very top places but at doubled price.

Odai
02-28-2011, 02:33 PM
I also hope the revised product performs better than the considerably thinner Swiftech radiators. At the moment, I cannot see any reason to purchase the EK over the Swiftech offering while they are both at roughly the same price point and the (old) EK does not perform as well.

Odai
03-02-2011, 11:18 AM
@Eddy, do you know if there are any performance figures out there at all, for this new radiator?

pluck
03-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Radiator has 8mm space between fins (initially 6mm) and is better performer. But don't expect to beat thicker rads ;)

In theory there's no reason a thinner rad shouldn't beat a thicker rad as long as it is designed well enough. If a company made a thin rad and sold it with a detachable shroud you'd have a rad that would demolish all the thick rads and still cost less. I can but dream :(

Odai
03-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Hello,

It's probably unlikely, but is there any chance there's been an update on this? :D

Thanks,

Odai.

Church
03-06-2011, 08:03 PM
pluck: cut out motor from cheap yate loons. Here you are - cheapest detachable shrouds of 25mm depth you can buy. :)
And shrouds can help thicker rads as well. I applaud swiftech for making cheap and close in performance to 'thick' leaders rad, and really wish for EK to manage to do the same. Cheaper components price = more widespread usage, as more price savvy air cooling users can overcome their doubts by price drop to convert to LC, so i can only endorse any movement on getting prices down for any LC vendor. Or making their cheaper products to perform closer to top components, for wise well thought out builds of good price/performancy.

Odai
03-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Any update yet? :D

Odai
05-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Sorry to bump this again, but has there been any progress at all with some sort of a test? :)

skinnee
06-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Yup, tested one of the revised cores, data is in line to be released soon, couple other rads will be released first.

Utnorris
06-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Not that I would buy one until they get their other stuff straightened out.

skinnee
06-03-2011, 10:12 AM
huh?

oh, that... radiators aren't plated, so no worries there.

NKrader
06-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Not that I would buy one until they get their other stuff straightened out.

why would you care.? boycott all products becuase they have one problem with one of their product types in like 8 years?
sounds a little pissy eh?

huh?

oh, that... radiators aren't plated, so no worries there.

lol. true story. i wish the rads were nickel plated.

would be so much bling. i would have to get some diamonds installed on the top of my nickel HK3.0 :rofl:

also. just read your "never go full retard" for the first time.. laughed so hard.

ohh simplejack.

Waterlogged
06-03-2011, 11:06 AM
why would you care.? boycott all products becuase they have one problem with one of their product types in like 8 years?
sounds a little pissy?

Selective memory?

Utnorris
06-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Selective, must be. I guess you forgot about the reservoirs cracking before this. Hey, if you want to keep buying from EK when they keep blaming the consumer when issues arise, so be it. If your rad leaks and they say it was because you used distilled water, then what, just give them a pass on that too?

NKrader
06-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Hey, if you want to keep buying from EK when they keep blaming the consumer when issues arise, so be it.

i accually must agree with you there.. ek has a bad record of blaming everyone but themselfs when it comes to problems. come to think of it i have personal experiance with that one.

ehh still. just a rad. :up:

phantomferrari
06-03-2011, 07:43 PM
i dont know any company whos never made a big goof. koolance a little while ago made some oopsies when they designed some of their radiators but they moved on and make some amazing products nowadays. im hoping ek will learn from their mistakes and use it to make slightly better products

OC Maximus
06-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Nickel Plated Radiator..... yummy.....lmao

Utnorris
06-03-2011, 09:08 PM
i dont know any company whos never made a big goof. koolance a little while ago made some oopsies when they designed some of their radiators but they moved on and make some amazing products nowadays. im hoping ek will learn from their mistakes and use it to make slightly better products

It's not that they made a mistake, they all do like you said, it's how they handle them that makes them or breaks them and EK is broke.

Sparky
06-03-2011, 09:11 PM
I really don't think it is necessary for you to go into every EK thread and beat them over the head. I don't care how much of a problem they are having right now, WE GET IT, YOU HATE THEM RIGHT NOW. It's getting old hearing you bash over and over.

NKrader
06-03-2011, 10:15 PM
I really don't think it is necessary for you to go into every EK thread and beat them over the head. I don't care how much of a problem they are having right now, WE GET IT, YOU HATE THEM RIGHT NOW. It's getting old hearing you bash over and over.

we can never have enough hate threads. :up:

I HATE THEM :rofl:

but im not sure why.

Waterlogged
06-03-2011, 11:25 PM

With EK, it's one screw up after another. It started with the original cylinder res that had some serious vortex issues then proceeded to the anti vortex insert that didn't always work. From there it went to a dual bay res with a waterfall effect that kept introducing bubbles back into the system unless full and a flow indicating spinner that sometimes jams up. Then to a D5 top that was rushed out (just so they could claim they were the first to market) and provided zero performance gains only to release an improved D5 top like 4 months later that had some minor performance improvements. Then came the debacle with the ATi FC blocks shorting out cards on a bunch of ppl that were far from noobs at installing such blocks and Eddy was dragged kicking and screaming (and blaming end users) into the era of standoffs on their FC GPU blocks...and lets not forget that the Supreme (in all forms until the new mounting came out recently) had a mounting system that wasn't exactly the easiest to use. Show me another company with such a track record? The fact is, they don't seem to learn at all.

OC Maximus
06-03-2011, 11:39 PM
With EK, it's one screw up after another. It started with the original cylinder res that had some serious vortex issues then proceeded to the anti vortex insert that didn't always work. From there it went to a dual bay res with a waterfall effect that kept introducing bubbles back into the system unless full and a flow indicating spinner that sometimes jams up. Then to a D5 top that was rushed out (just so they could claim they were the first to market) and provided zero performance gains only to release an improved D5 top like 4 months later that had some minor performance improvements. Then came the debacle with the ATi FC blocks shorting out cards on a bunch of ppl that were far from noobs at installing such blocks and Eddy was dragged kicking and screaming (and blaming end users) into the era of standoffs on their FC GPU blocks...and lets not forget that the Supreme (in all forms until the new mounting came out recently) had a mounting system that wasn't exactly the easiest to use. Show me another company with such a track record? The fact is, they don't seem to learn at all.
WOW! EK now seems like the Watercooling Devil. :eek:

Erklat
06-03-2011, 11:48 PM
and lets not forget that the Supreme (in all forms until the new mounting came out recently) had a mounting system that wasn't exactly the easiest to use.

This, I hate myself for having it whenever it comes to maintenance :mad:

shazza
06-04-2011, 06:27 AM
Enough with the EK bashing! There's already enough in the plating thread.

Odai
06-04-2011, 09:25 AM
:D

@Skinnee, that's great. Should be interesting to see how they perform. Thanks for the update. :)

Odai
07-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Are the new test results available yet Skinnee? :D

punx223
07-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Lets not forget the GTX480 backplate that shorts out cards, and when I bought mine I was told by Eddy when i pm'd him about the issue that they will be releasing a new revision taht fit the cards and if I want to use mine I will have to find some .5MM washers to install them and not destroy the card....

So to this day I have sold off my EK FC Classy block, my 480 blocks and have taken a total loss on the backplates and the shipping from europe.

I loved the appearance but what good is it if you cant use it?

paulbagz
07-21-2011, 02:08 PM
punx, I have actually just ordered three of those 480 backplates you speak of. What should I be looking out for in regards to them shorting cards?

-PB