PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a radiator?

Odai
02-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Hello,

I am currently looking for two new 120mm radiators for use with my loop.

The ideal choice for me would have been the TFC Xchanger models, but sadly they have obviously been discontinued for a while. I have the 360 model already, and have found it to be perfect for my use.

I am using Gentle Typhoon fans, generally undervolted to run at about 800-1500RPM depending on load.

What alternative radiators are there that I can use, which are as close as possible in performance to my TFC radiator?

I've had a look through the excellent reviews by Skinee, and according to the latest large comparison the XSPC RX120 would be my best bet. However, I've noticed there are many newer models of radiator, some of which have been reviewed, but none of which have been included in the larger comparison. So I'm clueless as to how close in terms of performance they are to the TFC radiator. :D

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Odai.

zalbard
02-28-2011, 06:11 AM
Coolgate, XSPC RX, Thermochill PA, Thermochill TA would all make a good choice.

NaeKuh
02-28-2011, 10:56 AM
how much thickness can u afford?

Maybe ur better off stacking 2 MCR120's in a Rad (shroud) Fan (shroud) Rad style, and have it be cheaper then the other thicker style rads solo while giving u more performance.

Wega52
02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
I've had a look through the excellent reviews by Skinee, and according to the latest large comparison the XSPC RX120 would be my best bet. However, I've noticed there are many newer models of radiator, some of which have been reviewed, but none of which have been included in the larger comparison.

Did you see the review of the RX V2 rad? :)

Odai
02-28-2011, 02:23 PM
For one of the radiators, it must be around the same thickness as the TFX xchanger.

For the other, it can be as thick as need be. :p: Anything up to 18cm (with shrouds and fans).

I did see the RX V2 review, and the modifications seem to have put the radiator even closer to what my TFC radiator is. Problem is, I've been put off by the flux issues I've had with the radiator and would rather avoid it if I can. :D

Wega52
02-28-2011, 02:28 PM
I did see the RX V2 review, and the modifications seem to have put the radiator even closer to what my TFC radiator is. Problem is, I've been put off by the flux issues I've had with the radiator and would rather avoid it if I can. :D

Flux issues? :confused:

Odai
02-28-2011, 02:42 PM
With four in a row. (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=267120)

Never had the same problems with other radiators, I think I'll just stick to radiators with brass chambers from now on.

Waterlogged
03-03-2011, 07:29 PM
TA's are a step backwards according to skinnee's testing.

Odai
03-03-2011, 08:10 PM
That's what I found too. And they're too big for the part of my case I will be installing them into. :p:

The Coolgate radiators looked promising, but again, they're too big. :D Same with the Phobya radiators.

It's looking like I'll have to go with the Black Ice SR-1 radiators, and just put up with the very slight reduction in heat dissipation and flow rate. And the price hike. :D

I'm just waiting to see if any performance numbers on the latest revision to the EK radiators (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=267432) surface before I make my decision. :D

Sparky
03-03-2011, 08:24 PM
I like my Swiftech radiators myself. Cheap and work pretty well. OK so they aren't the "best" but they also cost like half of the others.

Johnny87au
03-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Swifty 220s or the sr1 rads are rather good ..