PDA

View Full Version : Koolance GPU block thread depth is too small

lilmanmgf
02-26-2011, 06:29 AM
So I just received my GPU220 in the mail, and to my surprise the threads are very short. I know Ek makes a spacer, but I really don't want to spend 8 bucks shipped on a spacer. Are there any cheaper alternatives. I already spent $30 on rotary fittings and extenders. Any success shortening the threads on a barb?

Alexandr0s
02-26-2011, 07:25 AM
You could try to grind them down, but that would seriously increase the chance of leakage. Btw, what kind of fittings are you using? EK?

lilmanmgf
02-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Enzotech fittings:
http://www.enzotechnology.com/brhf_g14_12_30.htm
http://www.enzotechnology.com/bmfl_g14.htm

Why would that increase the chance for leaks? As long as the threads stay okay the o-ring should still seal. I was also considering using plumbers tape on the treads to keep a seal. Honestly just tightening them onto the block, without the o-ring being compressed, they were air tight using a hand pump.

Waterlogged
02-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Do not use plumbers tape on any standard G1/4 (BSPP) fittings, all your doing is wasting the tape. The tape is meant for "R" (BSPT) or NPT fittings which have a taper to them and actually do the sealing as well as holding together the connection. All the G1/4 thread does is hold the connection together, the o-ring does the sealing (and yes, water will get into them;)).

lilmanmgf
02-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Do not use plumbers tape on any standard G1/4 (BSPP) fittings, all your doing is wasting the tape. The tape is meant for "R" (BSPT) or NPT fittings which have a taper to them and actually do the sealing as well as holding together the connection. All the G1/4 thread does is hold the connection together, the o-ring does the sealing (and yes, water will get into them;)).

Okay, I will not. Do you think grinding or sawing the end would be viable? I have several smaller barbs to practice on. I saw these, but I really don't want to spend $14 shipped on spacers. Any other alternatives.

musicfan
02-26-2011, 09:55 AM
So I just received my GPU220 in the mail, and to my surprise the threads are very short. I know Ek makes a spacer, but I really don't want to spend 8 bucks shipped on a spacer. Are there any cheaper alternatives. I already spent $30 on rotary fittings and extenders. Any success shortening the threads on a barb?

my D-tek HF fittings would not fit entirely into the intake of my Apogee XT processor block so i had to change to a Danger Den Fat Boy fitting in the intake

in your situation, would taking an extra O-ring from a spare fitting and using that as a temporary spacer help. That way you have two O-rings on your fitting to your short thread?

good luck :)

Waterlogged
02-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Not sure if they'll fit your build or scheme but, these(Link (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_346_203_473&products_id=26939)) work with Enzo fittings. I have a pair of them and tried both with the several fittings I've gotten with the Enzo blocks and all work.

You could cut/grind the fittings you have but I would be worried about keeping the end squared to the rest of the fitting and, you may cause the coating to start chipping off.

lilmanmgf
02-26-2011, 10:11 AM
I just bit the bullet and bought the stupid ek spacers. There only purpose is to remedy this problem so it should work out. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

skinnee
02-26-2011, 02:11 PM
I did notice the female threaded ports were a bit short on the GPU-220 and GPU-210 in testing. However, I use fatter o-rings (#9 o-rings) on my barbs/fittings and they created a seal that did not leak.

lilmanmgf
02-26-2011, 05:01 PM
I did notice the female threaded ports were a bit short on the GPU-220 and GPU-210 in testing. However, I use fatter o-rings (#9 o-rings) on my barbs/fittings and they created a seal that did not leak.

Can you drop any hints? Was the GPU220 a good choice or should I have looked harder for a used MCW60 or XSPS Rasa GPU?

Martinm210
02-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Just grind them down a bit, as long as you're careful and clean up/taper the end, it should work like any ordinary barb.

The Koolance, Swiftech, and BB/DD fatboy barbs all have fairly short thread depth and should work as well.

But it's all G1/4, you should be able to trim off the ends a bit as long as you don't have other clearance type issues.

skinnee
02-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Actually, the barb ports are too short for even the DD/BP's and thats why I recommended the #9 o-rings, since that is what I used successfully. The Koolance barbs have an even shorter thread section than the DD/BP's.

And no, no hints... but the posts are coming very soon. :)