PDA

View Full Version : His biggest mistake was to tell me to "go big or go home". The Sony VPL-BW7 Projector

Andrew LB
02-25-2011, 04:19 PM
So this past week has been kinda odd. It started out with my parents DLP frying its mainboard, so being the good son that I am... I ended up giving them my 42" Samsung LCD HDTV, thus giving me an excuse to spend more money than I needed to. A few phone calls for stock/price checks and away I drive to a local electronics distributor I have an account with. An hour or so later I arrive home with a beautiful 1.1" thick Samsung 55" LED LCD 6300 series HDTV which was immediately hung on the wall in my bedroom.

Behold!

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=476&pictureid=1306

So that afternoon a friend comes by and spots my new TV and makes a comment somewhat akin to "That's an awesome TV Andrew... but you should see the 65" model Samsung sells now".

65" model? huh?? :shrug:

So I get a call the next day from the same friend telling me to stop by and check out his new "toy". And yes.... the guy had the nerve to take all the steam out of my stride by one-upping me and buying the 65" Samsung.

Of course I couldn't do the things that would come naturally while in the presence of such a godly TV.... such as drop to my knees and bow to it's majesty, drool uncontrollably, or daydream about watching pr0n on it.

Nope... none of the above. I simply recalled Dell's deal of the day I had gotten an email about a few hours earlier and after a few clicks on my iphone, it was en route.

The next day the Fedex guy shows up with my new Sony VPL-BW7 3LED HD Projector. I don't have a screen for it yet, so I decided to stop over at my buddies house to test it out for the first time. Hooked up to a little home theater PC I built and a few adjustments later, the projector had turned a wall in his house into a 120 Inch+ screen! The wall was painted a flat eggshell white which is horrible for projection, but at least it was white, and WOW did this little projector impress me. It retails for an MSRP of $799 and I got it for $399 during that one day deal Dell was offering.

Here is a short video taken from my Iphone 4 about ten minutes after turning it on. As you can tell, zero preparation was made in the production aspect of the video, so fast forward through the beginning and during the Mass Effect 2 title screen. I basically just wanted to show off how MASSIVE the picture was (started about 2 feet from the ground and went all the way to the ceiling @ 8.5 feet, probably 9 feet wide)

If you listen closely, at the end my buddy with the 65" Samsung walks in and shouts an obscenity laced comment on how huge the picture was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yv0YO6h2z0

Unfortunately I didn't have speakers hooked up to the PC at the time and my phone was propped up right by the PC's blowhole, so that is the droning noise you hear. That noise is NOT the projector.

Scubar
02-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Nice looking image,

You may not want to publically video the pirated films that were there though.

fatherTime27
03-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Hahah one upping the one upper

Frag Maniac
03-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Never understood the bigger is better mindset, and that Sony projector shows every bit as much over saturation of color as Samsung TVs do. Being as it IS a Sony though, you may at least be able to get more accurate colors if you adjust it.