PDA

View Full Version : Help me to decide which LED monitor buy.

end3rkid
02-23-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm going to buy a monitor for my laptop to use it as a secondary monitor. The mainly use will be for playing movies and the normal things like reading websites, ebooks, etc.

At my local store (in Mexico) this are the current prices (whit shipping):

ViewSonic VX2450WM-LED: $260 USD
AOC e2343F: $235 USD

This is the spec comparison between the two.

http://www.all-monitors.com/compares/aoc_e2343F_vs_viewsonic_vx2450wm-led

I have some questions if some of you have an experience with these type of monitors:

Why AOC just show DCR and the ViewSonic both Contrast and DCR? Higher always means better (50million:1 vs 20million:1)?
Antiglear Screen is a good plus?
Last question, what about their difference with the H-Sync Rate and V-Sync Rate?

Hope you guys can help me out. I'm kinda a noob with monitor specs.

Thanks.

[XC] Oj101
02-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Hmmm, the Viewsonic looks like the better screen by a fair amount, but I don't know if it's enough to justify $169 more (almost double the price!). As for your three points:

I hate DCR. You can see the screen fading and brightening as the picture changes, and white text on a black screen looks like grey text on a black screen. The contrast ratio is taken as the lightest/darkest spot on a frame now compared to one five or so seconds from now, it's marketing and I find it extremely irritating. I always turn it off. Secondly, the threshold of the human eye is around 1000:1, anything more is marketing where bigger = better. To put it into perspective, black print on white has a contrast ratio of around 12:1 to 14:1, pray tell why we need 10^infinity:1 ratios?
Antiglare is a requirement unless you're in the dark, there's nothing worse than having to move around in your chair to avoid the reflection of that light behind you (other than dynamic contrast ratio :D ).
The only figure you're really interested in is the vertical refresh rate. As long as they can do 60Hz you're happy days. Are these two monitors your only choices?

zanzabar
02-23-2011, 01:35 PM
those have identical panels and i would guess back lights the only difference is the case and UI skin, i would go with the asus as they are cheap and dont ship with dead pixels, but the led u are just paying for things to look funny and whited out

end3rkid
02-23-2011, 01:57 PM
those have identical panels and i would guess back lights the only difference is the case and UI skin, i would go with the asus as they are cheap and dont ship with dead pixels, but the led u are just paying for things to look funny and whited out

I have to decide between this two monitors, or if I put my budget to the xtreme, I'll have to consider this one:

http://www.all-monitors.com/monitors/manufacturers/pos/benq_bl2400pt

Oj101;4757383']Hmmm, the Viewsonic looks like the better screen by a fair amount, but I don't know if it's enough to justify $169 more (almost double the price!). As for your three points:

I hate DCR. You can see the screen fading and brightening as the picture changes, and white text on a black screen looks like grey text on a black screen. The contrast ratio is taken as the lightest/darkest spot on a frame now compared to one five or so seconds from now, it's marketing and I find it extremely irritating. I always turn it off. Secondly, the threshold of the human eye is around 1000:1, anything more is marketing where bigger = better. To put it into perspective, black print on white has a contrast ratio of around 12:1 to 14:1, pray tell why we need 10^infinity:1 ratios?
Antiglare is a requirement unless you're in the dark, there's nothing worse than having to move around in your chair to avoid the reflection of that light behind you (other than dynamic contrast ratio :D ).
The only figure you're really interested in is the vertical refresh rate. As long as they can do 60Hz you're happy days. Are these two monitors your only choices?

The price difference is $25 USD, ignore the All-Monitors.com prices :P. And yes, these are my only choices. As I said to zanzabar, if the BenQ BL2400PT ($287 USD) monitor it's better by a mile than these two, I'll get it.

At this point, with the Antiglare on the ViewSonic I'm considering it more than the AOC.

zanzabar
02-23-2011, 02:17 PM
if those are your 2picks then i would go for the viewsonic as they come calibrated rather well, but they are the same on the inside so u could go for the AOC since its cheaper

[XC] Oj101
02-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Does it HAVE to be LED? Compare the brightness of two LEDs that have been in use for a year or two and you'll see that they age at different rates. LED backlit LCDs are fairly new so this can't really be disputed yet, but as they use pretty standard LEDs what happens two years from now when you start getting dull patches due to a few LEDs aging worse than others?

I'm with zanzabar here, the man always gives good advice. On that comparison it seems that the AOC has an external power brick? That's annoying as I've noticed that they give up the ghost quicker than internal power adapters and they have a habit of going missing. Viewsonic has impressed me since I owned an old E70 and later E90f, and while I haven't owned one for about five years I continue to hear good of their products.

end3rkid
02-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I'm getting the ViewSonic then because it has better calibration and I checked that I get 3 years warranty from the manufacturer. AOC its just 1 year and with that DCR marketing thing, better not bite it :P.

[XC] Oj101
02-24-2011, 02:02 AM
Are you sure? In South Africa, AOC has the best warranty of the lot with a single dead pixel three year warranty. If you get a dead pixel right on the edge 2.5 years after the date of purchase it'll get swapped out no questions asked. I'm still not a fan of their screens though, aesthetically they could be much better :p: