PDA

View Full Version : DDC Pumps

ninjikiran
02-23-2011, 08:09 AM
I was told a DDC pump was needed for my system to cool both the GTX295 and i7 CPU.

I am looking for a low DB pump if possible. 15-30db range.

Any suggestions?

Toolius
02-23-2011, 08:21 AM
A Liand D5 Vario or as its affectionately known , the swiftech Mcp-655 with its speed control at setting 3 should do the job just fine.
Or then id say go with the swiftech mcp-35x DDC pump with PWM control :)

avddreamr
02-23-2011, 02:06 PM
15db pump does not exist.
30db is 3x as loud as 15db.

30db is quieter than a library.

The kind of pump you need will depend more on the restriction that is created by the blocks that you choose for your system. The less restriction the lower the need for pumping power, the less pumping power required, the less noise.

BlueAqua
02-23-2011, 02:43 PM
A D5 with some noise reducing material under it can be almost silent. It's pretty impressive just how quiet those pumps are compared to DDC's.

ninjikiran
02-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the replies!, I did some resaerch today and organized this e-mail to frozenpc. The pump I can easily change to what was suggested here~ but I figure I give everyone a grasp of what I am working with here.

Pump: Laing DDC Rev. 3.25
Resivoir: EK Dual Loop or XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir (Depending on needs)
Radiator: XSPC RX360
CPU Block: EK supreme Universal Nickel Block(for an I7 920 CPU)
GPU Block: Danger Den DD GTX295 Block

My questions are,
1. Would a single loop suffice in this configuration with a single pump
2. If I need two loops, is the pump listed capable of this or would I need a second pump.
3. Can this radiator handle two loops if it is needed?
4. Besides the fans which are required for the radiator to cool properly, is there any other equipment necessary to set up my water cooling system. Any specific tubes, or Tube grommets? Any other parts I might be missing?

BlueAqua
02-23-2011, 03:52 PM
A single loop with a single pump would be fine for this, even with a single triple radiator is that is all you can fit.

One radiator for 2 loops doesn't really work. A separate loop is defined as having its own set of discrete components not shared with another loop. Sharing components usually diminishes the benefits for having a separate loop.

You'll need tubing and barbs. Lots to choose from.

Sideroxylon
02-23-2011, 04:23 PM
A D5 with some noise reducing material under it can be almost silent. It's pretty impressive just how quiet those pumps are compared to DDC's.

My DDC is dead silent. Not sure why people say the D5's are quieter than DDC's. It has a lot to do with how you mount the pumps and what type of top you put on them.

Alexandr0s
02-23-2011, 04:34 PM
If you manage to mount your DDC pump in a way that it wont transmit any vibrations, it will definitely be quiet. The problem is, this can be troublesome in some cases. The D5 may offer an option because, if I remember correctly, it produces less vibrations than the DDC.
Still, I prefer a DDC over the D5 because of the extra head pressure it offers.

ninjikiran
02-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Sounds good, I can figure out a way to reduce vibrations. They actually sell decent, thin material that does just that. On Amazon.com that is~

That basically answers all of my major worries outside of tubing and coolant but that is a battle for another day. Rome wasn't built in a day, nor will my water cooling system be.

Thanks for the help, though while I am at it I might as well show my proposed configuration just to see if I have the right idea.

CPU--->GPU---->radiator--->reservoir--->Pump--->Back to CPU.

Johnny87au
02-23-2011, 10:49 PM
DDC 35x is probably the quietest pump imo, check out martins ddc/d5 thread..

avddreamr
02-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Ok, well a better question should be.
What hardware do you have already?
I'm assuming you have the gtx 295, and your i7 setup.
What case do you have? Do you plan to mount this externally or internally?
What watercooling parts do you currently have?

matari
02-25-2011, 12:05 AM
I am not sure why people say DDC are so loud. I leak test my cpu block outside the case on my kitchen table. I can't here the thing outside four feet.

Tackleberry
02-25-2011, 12:53 AM
I am not sure why people say DDC are so loud. I leak test my cpu block outside the case on my kitchen table. I can't here the thing outside four feet.

Because your PC is in most cases within that range.
And I guess people dont support pump enough,thus vibrates, theres your noise.

DexNfX
02-25-2011, 06:05 PM
A soggy sandwhich should help minimize your pump vibration/noise.

skinnee
02-25-2011, 06:54 PM
while a soggy sandwich may work, but will eventually stink... I think you meant a Shoggy sandwich. :)

BlueAqua
02-25-2011, 06:57 PM
while a soggy sandwich may work, but will eventually stink... I think you meant a Shoggy sandwich. :)

Maybe a roast beef soggy sandwich would but I think the acoustic properties of a grilled cheese wetted by tomato soup might actually work, without too much of a foul smell. Either way, I can't wait for the soggy sandwich review.

Alexandr0s
02-26-2011, 04:42 AM
There won't be any review of the soggy sandwich. Reviewers get hungry eventually... :rofl:

DexNfX
02-26-2011, 01:03 PM
My bad....I miss one letter and everyone just can't resist. lol :rofl:

@ skinnee - thanks for catching that for me. ;) :clap:

bmaverick
02-27-2011, 11:42 AM
If I recall, the ITT-Laing specification for noise is 34dBa from 2-feet away for the stock MCP350 10W@12VDC. BUT once an aftermarket top is added, that noise level is unpredictable.

If a person added a RES top to the stock pump, it behaves like a kitchen blender. We all know how a blender sounds with the swirling vortex. LOL

THIS http://cdn2.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/files/detail/DDC-X-RES-100a.gif PLUS http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_387/1239579526mqr41Q.jpg EQUALS http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/black-and-decker-10-speed-cyclone-blender-01.jpeg

THIS MAKES LOTS OF NOISE

stangracin3
02-27-2011, 12:11 PM
If I recall, the ITT-Laing specification for noise is 34dBa from 2-feet away for the stock MCP350 10W@12VDC. BUT once an aftermarket top is added, that noise level is unpredictable.

If a person added a RES top to the stock pump, it behaves like a kitchen blender. We all know how a blender sounds with the swirling vortex. LOL

THIS http://cdn2.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/files/detail/DDC-X-RES-100a.gif PLUS http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_387/1239579526mqr41Q.jpg EQUALS http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/black-and-decker-10-speed-cyclone-blender-01.jpeg

THIS MAKES LOTS OF NOISE

umm there isnt a pump...

and if you don't want the noise use the XPSC Restop. no vortex

m_jones_
02-27-2011, 01:32 PM
You can buy a Ek plate for very cheap that prevents the vortex from happening or make your own.

thegcpu
02-27-2011, 05:43 PM
I have an EK-DDC X-RES 100 on a 350 with 1/2 in of padding on an open air case and the sound is minimal with NO vortex.
I love that pump/res combo...

Alexandr0s
02-27-2011, 10:31 PM
You can buy a Ek plate for very cheap that prevents the vortex from happening or make your own.

A better option would be to get a piece of special foam designed specifically for this problem. Those work better than the EK plate. I remember WL having a link to something like that, maybe he can help me out here ;).

ryan92084
02-28-2011, 09:56 AM

THIS MAKES LOTS OF NOISE

i doubt you can even hear the swirling of the water over most blenders.... all i ever hear is the motor and the crunching of the ice. Now i want a pump that makes margaritas :toast2:

m_jones_
02-28-2011, 10:02 AM
A better option would be to get a piece of special foam designed specifically for this problem. Those work better than the EK plate. I remember WL having a link to something like that, maybe he can help me out here ;).

The same foam they use in the new Swiftech mcp 35x res?

Waterlogged
03-03-2011, 07:33 PM
This is what I use. :up:

http://www.petco.com/product/13797/Hagen-Elite-Mini-Underwater-Filter-Foam.aspx

bmaverick
03-06-2011, 09:20 PM
This is what I use. :up:

http://www.petco.com/product/13797/Hagen-Elite-Mini-Underwater-Filter-Foam.aspx

That will work, :clap: