PDA

View Full Version : Black Oxide or Black Zinc Plated Screws?

nirvana_1911
02-22-2011, 11:51 PM
I'm working on a build where I have screws that fasten the case together and the standard M3 and 6/32 screws which have two finishes, a silvery chrome finish and a metallic black finish. They will need to be stripped off.

I need to make the screws a rich black color but not sure to black oxide or not as I have heard they tend to rust in industrial applications.
They can't be oiled for obvious reasons, and if I use two-pack or laquer, I'm worried it will get stripped off the thread part when I screw it in or damage it when I use the screwdriver.
That leaves the alternative of black zinc plating it.

Any information on the above would help me out a lot, thanks.

nirvana_1911
02-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Bumpity bump.

arkadur
02-24-2011, 12:57 AM
when you screw black oxide you can do it with a tape on the screwdriver head. that do the trick for me.
they are sometimes tend to rust in industrial applications, or areas that not dry engouh.

MDPC-X (nils), have a very high quality screws, the other way is a little bit expensive - stainles steel screw

jimmyz
02-24-2011, 12:59 AM
Black oxide is a controlled rust basically. It causes the surface layers to oxidize in a manner that leaves a uniform appearance, if they get water on them they will get a brown regular looking rust on them as well.
The Plated fasteners are just like they sound. The plating will help protect them from oxidation but any scrathes while assembling can scar it deeper than the super thin plating used. Ny suggestion is to stick to the zinc plated and minimise damage by only installing them one time. Use regular screws for test asseblies or to mock it up. Then replace them with the plated when you have it like you want.

nirvana_1911
02-24-2011, 01:29 AM
so jimmyz, you recommend black zinc over black oxide, is that correct?