PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard cover plate...

barfastic
02-17-2011, 11:47 PM
Ive seen builds where people cover the motherboards with plexi, metal etc,

is there an issue with heat building up? i mean... if you have your entire baord blocked up, but provide cooling to your mosfets, NB/SB Ram, etc, is that enough? or are there mroe chips on the motherboard that run HOT, and would be denied fresh air?

Ive seen many builds with them, and i ahve to admit, i like them, and i am considering it, but im pondering on wheter its safe or not!

Cheers,
TIA!

Barf

Elusid
02-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Funny, I was just about to make a post about this but with Watercooled GPU's but now that mention it... I'm curious about mobo's as well since I'm planing on doing this with my build. If all the mailn parts are taken care of (mobo: CPU, NB, SB, MOSFET GPU: GPU, VRAM) can the rest be enclosed safely? Would it be better to perhaps include some vent holes and introduce some air circulation?

barfastic
02-18-2011, 12:46 AM
i was thinking of a fan mold of sorts.... unless i embed fans into the mold... which could potentially be cool... but ill probably fail HARD

nvmc
02-18-2011, 01:24 AM
Almost entirely aesthetic. It's not like we have an FSB to keep cool anymore.

Tackleberry
02-18-2011, 10:42 AM
If water block covers same chips as heat sinks, there is no reason why water block would not do it's job.
What gets build up? What exactly are you talking about? Any extra material?
You dont get much fresh air in closed case anyway.

NaeKuh
02-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Ive seen builds where people cover the motherboards with plexi, metal etc,

is there an issue with heat building up? i mean... if you have your entire baord blocked up, but provide cooling to your mosfets, NB/SB Ram, etc, is that enough? or are there mroe chips on the motherboard that run HOT, and would be denied fresh air?

Ive seen many builds with them, and i ahve to admit, i like them, and i am considering it, but im pondering on wheter its safe or not!

Cheers,
TIA!

Barf

Your talking about full board blocks. :D
And yes there safe if made well.

BTW im the grandfather of the fullboard block. :)

Almost entirely aesthetic. It's not like we have an FSB to keep cool anymore.

Actually no, full board blocks were never aimed @ NB only.
It was aimed at people who had more then 1 video card.

When you scale cards, you notice your southbridge will eat a lot of backwashed heat from a gpu.

When a gpu is screaming at 65c+ on air, thats a lot of backwashed heat which is dumped onto your board.

Now when we watercool gpu's we run into another problem.
Lack of airflow.

Because were removing all the fans which normally would assist the board in moving air, its all replaced by pipes and blocks.

That means your mosfets which are usually in the corner of your case has a high chance of not getting good air though them.

This is why i spent a lot of hours with Bei drafting the first fullboard block. :)

The experts in water who came b4 you guys just got tired of doing it this way:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0404.jpg

Because of bends and kinks which can happen, as well as loosening on the barb.
And its much cleaner this way:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_1259.jpg

nvmc
02-18-2011, 12:27 PM
They're designed to get hot. Water cooling them doesn't provide any practical benefit.
I'm yet to see a bunch of threads about people who have boards that run too hot for the stock heatsinks.

NaeKuh
02-18-2011, 12:50 PM
They're designed to get hot. Water cooling them doesn't provide any practical benefit.
I'm yet to see a bunch of threads about people who have boards that run too hot for the stock heatsinks.

head over to the WCG and F@H section.

90% of the guys over there lost there hearing from the high powered fans needed to keep the system cool, so it can crunch without failure 24/7 365 days.

Things like this is common over in the WCG / F@H section, and guys there take great pride in farms like that:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj163/idontcare_photo_bucket/FinalBeowulfs-WalmartSpecial.jpg

This picture however i found to be one of the most EPIC, air cooled farms ive seen. Its owned by a friend of mine.

86 5.0L
02-18-2011, 06:30 PM
that is a sweet picture haha

Waterlogged
02-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Your talking about full board blocks. :D

I don't think he is. I think he's talking about a cover that hides the MoBo for a clean look.

barf, take this into consideration, every part on the MoBo uses power, it also has to shed some of that power in the form of heat. While it's nowhere near as bad as the CPU, VR's or other major heat producers, it does add up and in a confined space with zero air flow, it could cause unexpected problems. I would try to find a way to have at least some kind of airflow under it if you go ahead with the idea, even if it's ducted in from somewhere else.