PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a corrosion inhibitor?

Odai
02-17-2011, 04:39 AM
Hello,

I'll be using the Koolance RP-452X2 reservoir in my new loop, as well as an Aqua Computer "high flow" flowrate sensor. The res has an Aluminium faceplate, and the flow sensor a stainless steel one.

My question is, will the water be in contact with these materials when the two products are hooked up to a loop? Will I need a corrosion inhibitor?

Thanks,

Odai.

barfastic
02-17-2011, 04:48 AM
i know for a fact the koolance res aluminum faceplate does not come into contact with the water...

im guessing your good to go! (although i dont know what the aqua flow thingy has in it...

VJoe2max
02-17-2011, 06:42 AM
Thereīs also no contact between water and faceplate for the flowrate sensor. Itīs based on a digmesa flowrate sensor. The inner cover is taken from this orignal part and this is made of plastic ;).

Nevertheless I would recommend usage of a corrosion inhibitor anyway. Itīs because there will allways be some electrochemical potentials within the loop - even if itīs only between the nickel layer of fittings or barbs and some blank copper parts. If so, corrosion will progress slowly in fact, but it will never be completly prohibited.

Vinas
02-17-2011, 08:03 AM
You can use a glycol solution (antifreeze) if you're worried about it. You'll lose a little performance compared to plain distilled... Maybe run mostly distilled with a splash of antifreeze ;)

Conumdrum
02-17-2011, 03:37 PM
No anti corrosion needed, NONE.

Martinm210
02-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Concur, the aluminum bezel face is there for looks and to provide a means to distribute the screw load across the acrylic, it does not come in contact with water, only acrylic.

Nothing needed for corrosion prevention..

Odai
02-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Excellent, thanks for putting my mind at ease guys. :)