PDA

View Full Version : Ivy Bridge on LGA 1155: P67 or new chipset?

PanicProne
02-15-2011, 04:29 PM
I seem to be getting a lot of conflicting info on this.

It's general consensus that Ivy Bridge will be LGA 1155 compatible, but the confusion arises when the chipset comes into the picture.

Some say 22nm Ivy chips will be compatible with P67, some say P67 will need a BIOS update and finally, some say that it will need a completely new chipset (Z68).

FUD says this:

The Ivy Bridge 22nm story gets even better. The new chip is socket LGA 1155 and it is socket compatible with the existing Sandy Bridge processors and Sugar Bay 2011 platform. Unfortunately we are quite sure that Cougar point PCH chipset of Sandy Bridge won’t support the new 22nm Ivy Bridge.

We are afraid that you will still need a new board. Even the Panther point PCH chipset is pin compatible with Cougar Point chipset of Sandy Bridge, but again this might help board manufactures to make boards faster, but end users will need to buy a new board.

But, then in another article FUD says:

Intel finally came to its senses to use the same socket and make the 22nm Ivy Bridge pin and software compatible to Sandy Bridge x67 boards, and this happens to be the chipset that is affected with a huge embarrassment and SATA 2 recall bug. Now that is ironic.

The big news that P67 and H67 boards will support Ivy Bridge 22nm processors after BIOS and firmware updates is not as cool as it would have been if Intel didn’t mess these chipsets up.

Where do we stand?

Can we Cougar Point users expect to slap a nice 22nm chip on our mobos?

Johnny87au
02-15-2011, 10:31 PM
From my understanding ivy bridge 22nm is p67compatible which needs a bios update yes, z68 is a whole different chipset which allows over clocking and the use of the integrated graphics AIO... And I believe it's happening on the H67 chipsets too..

MikeMurphy
02-16-2011, 04:04 AM
I can't think of an Intel "tock" that was strictly incompatible with the current chipsets of the the "tick"

Or am I missing an obvious example of this?

PatRaceTin
02-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Everything can change

but i will change my board to 70 series chipset too

Skratch
02-16-2011, 07:36 AM
Are the fist ivy chips just a shrink of sandy? if they are they should work with p67 boards.

zalbard
02-16-2011, 07:39 AM
It should probably work, most rumors suggest that.
If you're looking for an official confirmation, then you won't see it for a while...

NBF
02-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Chipsets are less important nowadays, They are there just to give a couple of SATA and USB ports. :ROTF:
Unless Ivy is eletrically incompatible with Sandy, there should be no problems.

PanicProne
02-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Chipsets are less important nowadays, They are there just to give a couple of SATA and USB ports. :ROTF:
Unless Ivy is eletrically incompatible with Sandy, there should be no problems.

It seems to be general consensus, after that latest article from FUD, that Ivy Bridge will be compatible with P67 and H67, with a BIOS update.