PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a BUILD rig, dont have time to build!

Johnny87au
02-14-2011, 01:52 AM
hey guys i need to find a a HTPC as im selling my secondary rig as i need the $$ , So im gonna invest into a small HTPC, I've been looking on ebay and found a few athlon x2 builds which would make a good htpc but i noticed some of the mobos dont support full DTS, Can you guys please find me a build htpc which either has a 1.4 hdmi gpu card or has 1.4 inbuild into the motherboard.. Was looking at this but change the case http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AMD-Quad-Core-Athlon-640-ASUS-Motherboard-4GB-DDR3-/350434621787?pt=AU_Components&hash=item519787f95b .. Could you guys try find me a better one as i really dont have the time to build a HTPC, As much as i want to and wait for zacate i need a cheap PC that will do everything i need it to do, thanks

Nanometer
02-14-2011, 02:04 AM
Any particular reason you are looking for hdmi 1.4? If I were you I would get a prebuild system. You can get a full system HTPC for under 300 and they are pretty small too. Especially considering the fact that you don't have the time to build. Check out newegg's Booksize Barebone Systems and you may find something to your liking.

Johnny87au
02-14-2011, 02:07 AM
Any particular reason you are looking for hdmi 1.4? If I were you I would get a prebuild system. You can get a full system HTPC for under 300 and they are pretty small too. Especially considering the fact that you don't have the time to build. Check out newegg's Booksize Barebone Systems and you may find something to your liking.

Was thinking of streaming 3D blurays over, but i can grab a gt 430 card if i really need too, Cant order off newegg as its in the US and im Aus hehe, Can you check ebay.com.au and see if you can find any reasonable builds which will handle a htpc without any issues and post here please, If im asking for too much you dont have to help but i really dont have much time.. :down:

Nanometer
02-16-2011, 02:28 AM
half as5 time spent on research is a good way to throw money in the trash. If you are going to give ill informed advice to someone because of not enough time to research, then tell them so. Spend some time looking up products and seeing what is available. Newegg is not the only place in the world that sells one of the most popular desktop mini replacements Look up product sites such as ASUS or MSI. There are many manufacturers that sell simple HTPC and all for under 300. There's no reason to complicate things, And I would never recommend a budget HTPC custom computer for 300. I can't imagine the quality of parts you would find, or how you would operate it with no OS.

Johnny87au
02-16-2011, 03:31 AM
half as5 time spent on research is a good way to throw money in the trash. If you are going to give ill informed advice to someone because of not enough time to research, then tell them so. Spend some time looking up products and seeing what is available. Newegg is not the only place in the world that sells one of the most popular desktop mini replacements Look up product sites such as ASUS or MSI. There are many manufacturers that sell simple HTPC and all for under 300. There's no reason to complicate things, And I would never recommend a budget HTPC custom computer for 300. I can't imagine the quality of parts you would find, or how you would operate it with no OS.

Well ive done a bit of research but im not really familiar with AMD so i'm exactly sure which AMD cheap build i could find on ebay.. i found a E6400 build which includes the whole system for $200 which i might grab, just change the card to a gt 430 though, The whole reason for this thread is because i dont have enough time to build a computer myself so was hoping for peeps to find some cheap builds already build on ebay which suits my needs.. :clap:

Nanometer
02-16-2011, 03:44 AM
The link you originally posted is not even half of a computer. It's onboard video mobo, ram and a cpu. No case, psu, dvd drive, hard drive, Full hd capable video or an OS. Adding that is about another 300 dollars. So assuming you have the rest of that stuff then sure, it would be a good idea to get an AMD setup especially when you're on a budget. Even still, I would part everything from an online site such as newegg or whatever is available in Austrailia.

Johnny87au
02-16-2011, 03:56 AM
The link you originally posted is not even half of a computer. It's onboard video mobo, ram and a cpu. No case, psu, dvd drive, hard drive, Full hd capable video or an OS. Adding that is about another 300 dollars. So assuming you have the rest of that stuff then sure, it would be a good idea to get an AMD setup especially when you're on a budget. Even still, I would part everything from an online site such as newegg or whatever is available in Austrailia.

Must of linked the wrong one because im pretty sure it was a full build mate, Sites i can order from are pccasegear.com scorptec.com.au and staticice.com.au tells me what i can get for the cheapest price available, Whats a good AMD build i should go for ? Im browsing now and i'll see what i can come up with hmm :up:

Johnny87au
02-16-2011, 04:01 AM
heres something which sucks for the price
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Media-Centre-HTPC-Quad-4GB-Bluray-Twin-TV-Tuner-Win7-/320655238871?pt=AU_comp_dekstop&hash=item4aa88aa6d7
this is quite decent
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HTPC-2TB-4GB-RAM-3-1GHZ-CPU-HDTV-Tuner-/150560189683?pt=AU_comp_dekstop&hash=item230e162cf3

Johnny87au
02-16-2011, 05:01 AM
So far i have this
i3 540-$140
ASrock H55m/usb 3- $99
2x2gb G skill eco-$75
Silverstone LC17 case-$114
Do i need a Graphic card or is the IGP good enough and i read the sound supports full dolby and DTS which is good , And whats a good silent PSU around 400W ? And preferably a Cheap aftermarket cooler which will fit..

Donnie27
02-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Sweet system but if you want to save money, you might want to give AMD a look as well. Something like the ASUS M4N68T-M - AM3 and AMD Athlon II X2 255 Regor 3.1GHz for just a little over $100 US. Sure the Aussie prices will be higher but hey!

My experiences with HTPC is that the most Important parts a Video with its Software & HDMI support and a Big Fast HDD/s. I don't trust RAID for anything other than back up. I'm not going to try and stream Blue Ray and with the players current costs (cheap), there's little to no more need to. The Sony BDP BX57 BD player I got my wife and daughter for XMas has built in Wi-Fi, streaming Hulu, NetFlix and several others to the point that the actual Disc Drive is rarely used. I paid $132 US at Sam's Wholesale. Hell, I dumped Cable a year ago and don't miss it!

Johnny87au
02-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Sweet system but if you want to save money, you might want to give AMD a look as well. Something like the ASUS M4N68T-M - AM3 and AMD Athlon II X2 255 Regor 3.1GHz for just a little over $100 US. Sure the Aussie prices will be higher but hey!

My experiences with HTPC is that the most Important parts a Video with its Software & HDMI support and a Big Fast HDD/s. I don't trust RAID for anything other than back up. I'm not going to try and stream Blue Ray and with the players current costs (cheap), there's little to no more need to. The Sony BDP BX57 BD player I got my wife and daughter for XMas has built in Wi-Fi, streaming Hulu, NetFlix and several others to the point that the actual Disc Drive is rarely used. I paid $132 US at Sam's Wholesale. Hell, I dumped Cable a year ago and don't miss it!

Thanks for the help Donnie seems like I've already gone with the parts I listed above, grabbing the sea sonic fan less power supply which is rather expensive but seems to be great as I reviewed a few ax and cx corsairs which are a lot louder.. Just gotta get the scythe shuriken now and I'm set.. Seems like the igp on the chipset is fine with blu ray playback and the sound supports Dolby + dts which is great...