PDA

View Full Version : Water Block for a PNY Quadro 4800

thegcpu
02-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Well its time to replace my old PNY Quadro 4600 with a Quadro 4800. I have been lucky to find waterblocks for my 4600 and 5800 but until I crack it open and start looking at all series GTX reference cards does any one have a hint as to what GTX card this would be?

The Quadro 4600 is a GTX 7900 the Quadro 5800 is a GTX 280 now for the Quadro 4800.

Thanks

SlowSVT
02-12-2011, 09:37 AM
You have expensive taste's in video cards. The price on the 5800 alone can cost more then the PC. You heavy into CAD? I'm building a liquid cooled 800D I7 950 with 12 Gig's. Now I'm getting stupid and adding a homemade TEC chiller to the contraption which will weigh close to 100 lbs. :shakes:

I have a Quadro 2000 which I managed to water cool. The best CAD graphics card I've used was a "the bottom-of-the-barrel" FX580 and the screen image in SolidWorks was impressive but got "notchy" when I rolled a complex model on the screen. The 2000 should smooth things out better.

Here is the thread with details on my LC Quadro 2000:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265613&highlight=quadro+2000

thegcpu
02-12-2011, 10:34 AM
@ SlowSVT
I saw your work earlier this week and it was impressive. If I have to I will go with a Swiftech MCW80, but what I have found is that most of these FX cards PCB’s are from reference GTX cards so the quest is on :para:

asura
02-12-2011, 11:16 AM
I thought the FX4600 was based on the G80 Core? It's certainly a visual match with the 8800GTS.

Ok, here's a neked FX4800 (http://www.quadro.net.cn/Pro_DocumentReading.aspx?id=1465) which is visually very similar to the 280GTX, apart (possibly quite importantly) from the mounting holes at the chip on the left hand side (whatever the hell it's called) four on the Geforce, three on the Quadro. The EK block doesn't seem to use those mounting holes at all, so it may be your best bet (though I haven't looked any further)

SlowSVT
02-12-2011, 11:44 AM
@ SlowSVT
I saw your work earlier this week and it was impressive. If I have to I will go with a Swiftech MCW80, but what I have found is that most of these FX cards PCB’s are from reference GTX cards so the quest is on :para:

I chose the FX boards because you can enable "Real View" graphics in SolidWorks. I'm not sure if that will work with the GTX card. Assigning a polished finish to a sphere is amazing and you suddenly realize what the reflection backdrop is in the model. They can be anything, I've seen factory floors, living rooms just to name a few. I modeled a copper waveguide array which had stunning visuals :cool:

What sucks is most companies don't think it's worth the investment to install CAD graphics cards and we end up with cards worthy of displaying a spreadsheet :mad: It’s like comparing 320 x 480 to hi-def :shakes: Why don't you spring for a Quadro 6000? :D

So is there a commercially available waterblock for the 4800?

TJ TRICHEESE
02-12-2011, 11:46 AM
yea what asura's said the nvio chip has some odd mountings, i doubt that you'll find a block easily that will fit. a mcw60/80 is probably your best bet.

SlowSVT
02-12-2011, 12:00 PM
I thought the FX4600 was based on the G80 Core? It's certainly a visual match with the 8800GTS.

Ok, here's a neked FX4800 (http://www.quadro.net.cn/Pro_DocumentReading.aspx?id=1465) which is visually very similar to the 280GTX, apart (possibly quite importantly) from the mounting holes at the chip on the left hand side (whatever the hell it's called) four on the Geforce, three on the Quadro. The EK block doesn't seem to use those mounting holes at all, so it may be your best bet (though I haven't looked any further)

The 3 square hole patterns on the FX4800 heat sink looks similar to the one on my Quadro 2000. The EK VGA Supreme waterblock mounted right up to the board’s main processor but I needed a cold plate to connect the outlying components (you can see the TIM adhered to the chips connected to the heat pipe in your link). If thegpcu wants to water cool his 4800 he is going to have to do what I did unless it's commercially available. That sucker pumps out more then twice the heat as mine at 150W. With all that ground he will need to cover that cold plate is gunna be "heavy" :shakes:

………..but adding it to the loop will bring his temps crashing to the ground! :)

thegcpu
02-12-2011, 04:27 PM
@asura
Thanks for the link, I didn’t have to break open the card until I’m ready to install the block:up:

Here is what I have found so far, 260/280 block looks promising:up::up:

@SlowSVT
The 6000 is coming, looking at the the LGA 1155 and LGA 2011.

SlowSVT
02-12-2011, 07:49 PM
@asura
Thanks for the link, I didn’t have to break open the card until I’m ready to install the block:up:

Here is what I have found so far, 260/280 block looks promising:up::up:

@SlowSVT
The 6000 is coming, looking at the the LGA 1155 and LGA 2011.

Yea, the chip placement look pretty close between both boards You may luck out there. I use to layout PC boards for my job. Looks like they almost lifted the comp placement with all the signal layers and plunked it down on the other board........don't laugh it happens. As long as the install height and locations "meet-up" and there are no tall components preventing the block form seating properly on the board it may work. Do you have a photo of the cooling block you think you can adapt? I would be surprised if you didn't have to make adjustments to the block in some form or another. You can do a "decent" job on a HD drill press, a cross slide vice and an 1/8" end mill.

A 6000 is coming? Isn’t that for high-end scientific and medical imaging stuff? Not many employers would ever spring for that kind of coin, ouch!

thegcpu
02-12-2011, 10:32 PM
A 6000 is coming? Isn’t that for high-end scientific and medical imaging stuff? Not many employers would ever spring for that kind of coin, ouch!

Broadcasting field.
Running VizRT test lab.