PDA

View Full Version : AN7 will not hold cpu settings on starts

rar54
01-15-2004, 05:57 AM
I have one of the original AN7 motherboards. I bought it on Nov.18,2003 from eXcaliberPC. Yes it is one of those cut trace boards. The problem I have had with it from day one is that everytime I shut down the system and restart it I get this warning
System is running in Fail-Safe State Please recheck the Bios CMOS Setup
Warning! CPU has been changed
Please re-enter cpu settings in the cmos setup and remember to save. I then have to press delete and go into the bios where nothing has changed and press F10 to save and exit, then everything will run as it should, untill the next time I shut the computer down and restart it, now this does not happen everytime I start my computer just most of the time. My power supply is a 550 watt Thermaltake with great rails on it. I also pulled it out and tried my 465 watt Enermax PS that will do the same thing. Now I did not have this problem running these power supplies in my Abit NF7-S motherboard. I emailed Abit about this problem 6 weeks ago and have not received a response yet. Abit Rep what could be wrong here?

Nevrsadie
01-15-2004, 05:35 PM
I guess Abit was shipping the AN7 with the CMOS jumper in the wrong position, this sounds exactly like your problem. That is why it will not hold any settings when you boot. Just move the jumper from the 2-3 pins to the 1-2 pins and that should take care of your problems. If you dont know where your CMOS jumper is just look in your manual on page 2-6, there is a diagram also.

rar54
01-15-2004, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the reply but that is not the case with my setup, my cmos jumper pin is in the correct position number 1 and 2 (default) and in Abits case they read from right to left so their number 1 pin is the one that is next to the IDE 1 connector.

Nevrsadie
01-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Sorry, thought that was the answer to your problem. Alot of people were having that issue.

sjohnson
01-15-2004, 07:26 PM
I'd try moving the jumper to the other position anyway. Abit documentation and board silk-screening can be wrong.

I thought the CROM jumper was correct on my kd7-e until some discussion here got me to say, "what the heck, what've I got to lose" - sure enough, I had it jumpered wrong.

rar54
01-16-2004, 07:48 PM
sjohnson I gave that a try for the hell of it and that does,nt solve my problem either. This does not happen everytime I boot my computer only about 2 out of every 3 startups. I have not bought a new battery for it yet because this is a new board and Abit would have had to installed a new battery--right? Maybe they used some really old batteries they had in inventory, like maybe 1970 vintage. lol I think I will pick one up and give it a try.

sjohnson
01-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Check to see if the battery clips are tight on the battery as well. I've seen both low batteries and weak battery clips. The jumper might not be making good contact as well - you might try another jumper, one that fits snugly on the pins.