PDA

View Full Version : What on Earth happened to this block?

Odai
02-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Hello,

I recently disassembled my loop for an upgrade, and was horrified to see my EK Supreme HF block like this:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x255/Odaik/1ff14484.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x255/Odaik/635692ae.jpg

At first, I thought it was just paste (I used the MX-2 that came with the block). However, after using the Arcticlean stuff on it, the paste has come off, but the round mark in the centre hasn't.

I was concerned that it might be some sort of corrosion (it happened to my Apogee GTZ, I used the Arcticlean solution without using the flash corrosion inhibitor it comes with). However, I'd taken care when using the Arcticlean solution prior to installing it (5 months ago), and made sure I'd used the "purifier" solution. In addition, only the centre has been damaged.

Any ideas on what could have caused this?

And apologies in advance for the poor focusing in the photos!

matari
02-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Give us a picture of inside the block please.

sabe
02-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Its just a little bit corroded which is very common for blocks with a copper base. A bit of vinegar or tomato paste soaked for a couple of minutes and cleaned off vigorously will get rid of it.

Splave
02-10-2011, 09:32 AM
try something gummy like kneaded eraser or even a pencil eraser (clean) see if it pulls some of it out

lowfat
02-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Do you have better pictures? Is that copper? Copper does tarnish. Try cleaning it w/ ketchup. Either way it isn't going to have any affect on performance.

tool_462
02-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Any ideas on what could have caused this?

Oxygen ;)

NaeKuh
02-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Oxygen ;)

lol how when its the TIM imprint.

The point in TIM is suposed to push all the air out and replace it with oil/paste.

OP its nothing to be freaking out about... it more looks like abrasions which was caused when you twisted the sink for mounting.

Wont hurt performance at all.

ryan92084
02-10-2011, 10:40 AM

The point in TIM is suposed to push all the air out and replace it with oil/paste.

OP its nothing to be freaking out about... it more looks like abrasions which was caused when you twisted the sink for mounting.

i think he meant that it wasn't the spot that had tarnished but that everything around it had. sounds like a likely culprit to me

bmaverick
02-10-2011, 08:15 PM
The spot could be where the thermal paste and the thermal heat transfer mostly took place during the computer running. It would be nice to see the inside of the block or know what block it is to verify this.

If the regular cleaning methods do not remove the imprinted stain, the regular toilet bowl cleaner will remove it.

86 5.0L
02-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Looks like typical copper tarnish

Computurd
02-10-2011, 08:57 PM
dude i cant tell anything from that pic. can we get a better one?"?

Utnorris
02-10-2011, 09:21 PM
It's tarnish. All my copper bases that I use AC with do that. Ketchup or brasso wipes it away very easily.

M.Beier
02-10-2011, 09:57 PM
This is why you want to use nickel plated blocks.
*I changed all my frequently changed blocks to nickel plated ones, only none nickel is the ones i use in my private build.

ryan92084
02-11-2011, 10:50 AM
This is why you want to use nickel plated blocks.
*I changed all my frequently changed blocks to nickel plated ones, only none nickel is the ones i use in my private build.

for a purely superficial tarnish that happens in a virtually unseen area of the block? to each his own i suppose

tool_462
02-11-2011, 11:22 AM

TIMs are largely composed of various oxides.

Vinas
02-11-2011, 11:39 AM

It's natural copper tarnish. This is normal. Even the oil from your fingers can cause copper to tarnish in its own way. Some people call it the "character" of the copper. Nothing to be worried about. CLR can clean copper up pretty nicely, so can copper cream (http://www.amazon.com/Wrights-Copper-Cream-Polish-8-oz/dp/B000KKMID2):up:

Wolf132
02-11-2011, 01:07 PM
You got horrified over a slightly dark spot on the bottom of your cpu block? Pretty much every copper block I've ever installed looked somewhat like that after a few months of running.

WhiteFireDragon
02-11-2011, 01:13 PM
it's just TIM stains, nothing to worry about. all water blocks and air coolers will get the same type of stains if the base is copper

M.Beier
02-11-2011, 03:11 PM
for a purely superficial tarnish that happens in a virtually unseen area of the block? to each his own i suppose

I am running 90% of the time with one GPU block next to the config, 70% of the time with two next to the setup, 50% with a mighty 3 next to the setup...
Prepared for 4x GPU, but dont use it often, so, yes, that is correct.

But I would mainly use the reason as; maintenance ;)
With a nicket plated block, you do not have to worry about skin/fingerprint on sensitive surfaces, in my opinion, worth the tiny difference in price.

NaeKuh
02-11-2011, 04:29 PM
It's natural copper tarnish. This is normal. Even the oil from your fingers can cause copper to tarnish in its own way. Some people call it the "character" of the copper. Nothing to be worried about. CLR can clean copper up pretty nicely, so can copper cream (http://www.amazon.com/Wrights-Copper-Cream-Polish-8-oz/dp/B000KKMID2):up:

actually i kinda played with that idea.

After the tim imprint, if you use alcohol and then wipe it while letting it sit out, you will get the copper to tarnish faster then normal.

Meh.. this is why i retired out all my non plated blocks, and now im on all nickle plated blocks.

Odai
02-11-2011, 05:34 PM
:D

I guess I overreacted, thanks for the replies. :)

Unfortunately I can't get a better photo due to the reflective properties of the block, and the fact that I can't get a better focus.

I was concerned the oxidation would have an effect on heat transfer, especially with it being right above where the CPU cores would be.

I never had this problem with my Apogee block, it only happened on that block after I made the slip with the Arcticlean stuff - that is why I was so concerned.

I tried vinegar/ketchup/brasso on the Apogee block, but it didn't make a difference. Also, it did leave some residue which I could not get rid, in the tiny grooves/valleys along the surface of the block.

matari
02-11-2011, 08:16 PM
I am not sure why people use that stuff; if you are not changing TIMs just use a lint free cloth or a q-tip. If you are changing TIMs, just use good old alcohol.