PDA

View Full Version : Is the Gigabyte Galaxy II WC kit capable of cooling a CPU, G92 GPU and chipset?

WARDOZER9
02-10-2011, 06:12 AM
Does anyone know if the Gigabyte Galaxy II (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835128015) is up to the task of cooling an E3300 @ 3.2ghz on stock volts, a stock clocked 8800GTS 512mb and possibly an Nvidia 7050/610 chipset?

I do already own the kit, it was a hand me down but it still works, just needs cleaned and new tubing.

I'm getting about 57 - 59* C under load on the E3300, about 76*C under load on the 8800 and I have nfc what the chipset temps are but the heatsink gets toasty. Was hoping that even stressing the radiator like this that I could still have lower temps across the board.

=== EDIT ===

The reviews I found showed people cooling OverClocked Pentium D's and 939 Toledo's down to 40 - 45*C under load for 110 - 130w CPU's and I'm only dealing with a 65w CPU and a possibly a 135w TDP G92 GPU ( based off of what wiki says about G92 TDP ).

The way I look at it is consolidating fans in the system more than cooling performance so quite honestly, if I can drop the CPU fan and the heatsink on the video card for fanless waterblocks and maintain the same temperatures or slightly lower then it would be a win-win for this specific situation where I'm out to cut noise more than temps. Also it would be nice to get a waterblock on the 8800GTS and get my other Pci slot back so I can use it for an X-Fi.

My case configuration would still consist of 2x Scythe 49cfm S-Flex SFF21E's 1 up front, 1 in the rear. I have an 80mm S-Flex SFF80C 30cfm fan on the way which will mount to the side panel blowing the air directly at the rear edge of the CPU socket and the vregs so there will still be some air getting to that region. I also have the 120mm fan on my severly overkill Antec TP3 650w PSU pulling air out of the case as well.

barfastic
02-10-2011, 06:54 AM
that must be the weirdest looking production watercooled kit ive seen... :S

do you already own it? thinking of bhuying it?

its a single 120mm radiator... i read aluminium in their somewhere.... im pretty sure you can buy something better and cheaper if you select the aprts yourself.

the lowest i found it online was 190$... i think with around the same money you can get something alot better.... ahve a read on these forums for more information.

Crazy V
02-10-2011, 06:58 AM
I would highly suggest an H50 or H70 in place of that thing!!! LOL

If wanting to cool the CPU, Chipset and GPU I would suggest piecing together a cooling loop.

Church
02-10-2011, 07:40 AM
XSPC Rasa 750 RS or RX 240 or 360 sets are cheap enough to not consider both that Galaxy or H50/H70 sets that at similar conditions at most near in cooling to current top air coolers, but often lag behind.

BlueAqua
02-10-2011, 07:45 AM
I think the OP already has that kit. I think it would be better just using the stock air coolers than that kit. I think your temperatures are fine and you could add the chipset without too much of a difference. Chipsets don't normally put out much heat, but usually have the worst heatsinks, so even though it feels hot, it's just not dissipating that heat very well. Active cooling on it will wick that heat away fast without adding much load to your loop.

WARDOZER9
02-10-2011, 08:08 AM
BlueAqua is correct, I already have the kit however I would have to purchase a GPU waterblock and a chipset waterblock.

I already have the CPU block that came with the kit but would have to purchase a chipset waterblock and full coverage GPU waterblock ( would be best probably and used blocks are cheap ).

I don't mind purchasing the additional waterblocks but unless it's worth it I'd rather not purchase those and still purchase a pricey top down heatsink for the CPU because the stock cooler is too noisy to keep.

== EDIT ===

Moved most of this post to OP. Please scroll up.

WARDOZER9
02-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Input? I found a good deal on an EK full coverage block for the 8800GTS. Any clue if this system will handle the CPU and the GPU?

CPU: 65w
GPU: 135w
Chipset: 10 - 15w

In total the system will need around 215 - 230 watts of heat dissipated and still be able to keep temps at least the same as they are now. Does anyone think this would be possible?

prznar1
02-11-2011, 05:19 AM
the only kits wtb kits are the xspc rasa and ek kits made up from parts for custom loops :D none of those fancy bling bling kits will be good as those.

oh and btw. 120 rad will be not enough for cpu gpu and nb in one loop.

WARDOZER9
02-11-2011, 06:58 AM
If others agree with the above statement then I'll just toss the WC setup on an E6700 in a system I'm selling and call it a day then go with a high end top down HSF that will actively cool the chipset as well.

If I stick with air though I'ma step up to some quietter noctua 120's for the front, rear and cpu fan and ditch the 80mm S-Flex that will be here today :( Just paid $16 for that little soab thinking it would be handy to provide some airflow to the cpu area if I went with the water setup.

prznar1
02-11-2011, 09:27 AM
dont wait. buy xpsc rasa 240 or rs 360 and add nb and gpu blocks. or ek kits with 240 or 360 radiators. or just build your own custom loop if you will not find something that you want in those kits.
dont forget to grab some more fittings or barbs for gpu n nb blocks

Waterlogged
02-11-2011, 09:56 AM
the only kits wtb kits are the xspc rasa and ek kits made up from parts for custom loops :D none of those fancy bling bling kits will be good as those.

oh and btw. 120 rad will be not enough for cpu gpu and nb in one loop.

Don't agree with the RASA part, pumps too weak for my liking. You also forgot Swiftech.

Otherwise...agreed.

NaeKuh
02-11-2011, 02:05 PM
incase anyone is wondering what the heck a galaxy II is its this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31E%2BrMLlqwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hey OP, its a failed kit... and it fails on so many levels.

Captain_Harlock
02-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I thought they stopped making that thing a couple of years back. I know its at least 3-4 years old.

WARDOZER9
02-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Eh, it was free so I didn't complain.