PDA

View Full Version : CPU waterblocks, and the LanParty rev B question...

TheWeaseL
01-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Ok, so I have a new lanparty B coming in tomorrow, but I want to put my white water cpu block on it. Think is, around the mounting holes, there are all those tiny resistors and chips, and I was wondering how I should go about working around them when putting the nylon washers and such on the board, because the last thing I wanna do is break another one off and turn another board into a paper weight...

sjohnson
01-15-2004, 06:13 AM
Either don't use any nuts or washers on the side with SMD components (if you can) or re-shape your nuts and washers to miss those SMDs.

TheWeaseL
01-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Hrm...would that work to not use any nuts on the cpu side of the board? So in other words, once I toss the block on and screw it down, it would have the same effect right? So in theory, those top side nuts can be avoided?

sjohnson
01-15-2004, 03:58 PM
The nuts on the CPU side of the board simply lock the bolts in place so you don't need to remove the MB to change out the waterblock. You *should* be able to mount the WW without the CPU-side nuts, but will need to do it with the MB out of the case unless you make a cut-out on the MB tray for access.

TheWeaseL
01-16-2004, 01:36 AM
Well, since it is still sitting in it's anti static bag, I'll try your idea sj. I have no real intention of replacing the waterblock after I get it in there...I had thought about going to a cascade, but for now, I really like the WW performance. Sadly, it will taunt me from across the room until tomorrow night, when I can pray motherboard #5 this week will post. :(