PDA

View Full Version : Push/Pull with different fans?

GeorgeStorm
02-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Hey,
May be able to get some 2nd hand GT 1850s for the same price at yates.
Wondering, would it be worth putting them in push-pull?
Or should I just stick with my yate highs in push? (MCR320)
If I were to go push pull, which should be pushing, and which pulling?
Thanks

bmaverick
02-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Rule of thumb is to pump the stronger fans to push and a good fan to pull. The pusher fan needs to overcome the RAD face area resistance and the puller fan helps to get the air aligned to flow through the RAD.

k0rnh0li0
02-07-2011, 06:14 PM
i dont get it i'm new to this could you explain it a little more. if the rad was on the back should the fans be intaking the RAD or exhaust or some specific way?

Martinm210
02-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I've seen plenty of people mix fans, works fine. Just like two pumps in series as long as you're not operating outside the curve of either fan, it should work just fine. You would just want to avoid doing something like running 100+CFM (Max Air Flow) fans with 20 CFM (Max Air Flow) fans, because you'd likely be hitting the 50-60CFM mark which is beyond the 20 CFM fan curve. I've heard some theory's about which should come first, but I've never seen much in the way of scientific test data on it.

The only thing I could think of for preference is the stronger fan in push so the air density is slightly higher across the rad. I suppose if the difference were enough you might start getting a little better thermal properties out of the compressed air is all. But that's just a guess...no testing so I really don't know.

Practically, I doubt anyone would measure the difference though. I have seen people mix fans though and it does work fine.

GeorgeStorm
02-08-2011, 04:26 AM
Hmm, so yate highs in push and GTs in pull would be ok?
Difficult to know considering CFM wise the yates are far more powerful, but I know how good the GTs are as rad fans due to their high SP.
Looks like this will make me get a fan controller aswell :p
Thinking FC2? Seems to be fairly cheap, have high wattage per channel, and 6 channels, don't really see a downside?