PDA

View Full Version : Tube kinking

GeorgeStorm
02-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Hey,
Had my loop running for about a day, and some of the tubing has just started to kink!
Not sure what the best course of action is, temps have risen a little, but nothing extreme.
What would be best, redo the bit with more/less tubing, get anti kink coils?
Any ideas?
Thanks

Fatfool
02-06-2011, 07:46 AM
A few methods:

Use anti kink coils
Use smaller tubing
Use rotaries
Use angled fittings.

I've never had kinking since I use lots of angles and 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD tubing. :D

GeorgeStorm
02-06-2011, 07:58 AM
There we go
http://imgur.com/WJGRjl&abLpH&zVlb1&iS6ED

Using 7/16 tubing.
Would really like to avoid spending even more money, and having to redo the loop all over again.
A friend suggested swapping the tubing on the left mosfet block, to make the bands a little less tight.

Holst
02-06-2011, 08:37 AM
You just need a longer piece of tube in that position.
Swapping the tubing over on both the mosfet blocks sounds like a good move.
That will also stop the tube that is exiting the mosfets from pushing the other tube downwards.

The tube probably kinked because it got warm, but it looks like an easy fix.

Fatfool
02-06-2011, 08:43 AM
with that tubing size, I Ain't surprised.

The problem is you can't go any higher because of the tube above it.

There are two ways here if you don't want to change tube sizes.

Get a pair of 1/2" 90 degree rotary barbs from bitspower or enzotech

or, bring that segment above the current segment which is higher than it. (the extra length won't kill. seriously) The annoying part is that you'll have to remove both segments to make changes in the future.

Kink coils might help... but that's similar to fixing a problem which was created in the first place.

1/4" tubing FTW! :eleph:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Fatfool/2011%20Opteron%20Build/FullOpteronBuild.jpg

Fatfool
02-06-2011, 08:46 AM
You just need a longer piece of tube in that position.
Swapping the tubing over on both the mosfet blocks sounds like a good move.
That will also stop the tube that is exiting the mosfets from pushing the other tube downwards.

The tube probably kinked because it got warm, but it looks like an easy fix.
I'd prefer the more elegant (but more expensive) method of 1/2" rotary barbs.

http://www.enzotechnology.com/images/rcps_g14_12_90.gif

keeps the tubes near the board instead of having them hanging around.

CrazyNutz
02-06-2011, 08:53 AM
You may try nylon zip ties. Place one right in the middle of the kink and tighten until the tubing becomes round again. You may need to place two more, one on each side of the center zip tie.

Fatfool
02-06-2011, 09:32 AM
You may try nylon zip ties. Place one right in the middle of the kink and tighten until the tubing becomes round again. You may need to place two more, one on each side of the center zip tie.
sounds innovative.

BlueAqua
02-06-2011, 09:57 AM
A lot of kinks can be avoided by using thicker side wall tubing, say 3/8" ID 5/8" OD, my tube size of choice. Also what CrazyNutz said, put a zip tie on the kink and tighten it up so the tubing won't be oblong.

Waterlogged
02-06-2011, 09:57 AM
sounds innovative.

Actually, that's about as old school as you can get. ;)

penguins
02-06-2011, 03:22 PM
It's Both though, isn't it?

Fatfool
02-06-2011, 08:37 PM
A lot of kinks can be avoided by using thicker side wall tubing, say 3/8" ID 5/8" OD, my tube size of choice. Also what CrazyNutz said, put a zip tie on the kink and tighten it up so the tubing won't be oblong.

if you stick a gauge 10 needle into someone's arm, he'll scream, use a smaller needle instead ;)

GeorgeStorm
02-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Used a clamp (as I didn't have any cable ties to hand) seems to have helped the situation.

Conumdrum
02-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Used a clamp (as I didn't have any cable ties to hand) seems to have helped the situation.

Good for you. Yea, a pitfall many new folks find. Quality vs cost, and not really knowing yet. Glad you got it fixed, I forsee a tubing change at the 6 month drain/refill.:up:

Vinas
02-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Some people boil the tubes which kind of "cure" the tubing into that shape, and will allow super tight turns without kinking. You need to put something inside the tube (like soft copper tubing, or sand) for it to keep its shape whilst boiling.

Fatfool
02-07-2011, 05:27 AM
Some people boil the tubes which kind of "cure" the tubing into that shape, and will allow super tight turns without kinking. You need to put something inside the tube (like soft copper tubing, or sand) for it to keep its shape whilst boiling.
I'd be wary of chemical changes which could compromise it's integrity. (especially with the copper)

GeorgeStorm
02-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Hope I don't have to replace the tubing, bought this last week. Was using older stuff of varying companies, sizes etc
Redid it all last week, new case, new coolant, silver coil, new tubing, barbs. Really hope I don't have to redo it all again!

MadHacker
02-07-2011, 08:16 AM
if you put the tube in hot water... then bend it to the shape you want, then put it in cold water...
it will keep that shape.

rubix_1011
02-07-2011, 08:30 AM
I've always used zip ties for tight bends, even with good tubing. It helps and if you do it right, it actually looks decent...like using black or matching color scheme ties.