PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a solid 2.1 stereo system

patrickadizzle
02-05-2011, 09:37 AM
I had been using this Onkyo home theater setup as my speakers, but I want something more powerful.

It was originally a 7.1 setup, but I just used the front left and front right, and had a good solid stereo system. I was happy with that. But I'm going to move it to my TV, and I'm looking for a 2.1 system, it doesn't have to be a package, I don't mind buying things separately.

I will use the audio receiver though, it's a Onkyo HT-R530, specs here:

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?class=Systems&m=HT-S780

Is this a bad receiver? Does it limit me in my choices?

I have about 550-600 to spend on both the subwoofer and the speakers.

I'm a huge music listener, and I love bass, I listen to a lot of hip-hop and electronic music.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be really appreciative.

Thanks !

STEvil
02-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Its a little low in power if you want a big sound.. for roughly $300 you can get a 1000-2000w RMS 2 channel pro audio receiver then build or buy a set of tower speakers that will handle the power..

Nanometer
02-06-2011, 03:07 AM
2000 watts at maybe half an ohm, lol. It's a good receiver, for home theater that is. But if music is the most important aspect to you then you may want to consider a stereo receiver, two tower speakers, and a standalone bass. There are a lot of options out there, but when it comes to budget quality systems I recommend Polk Audio. If size does not bother you, then you can consider two Monitor70 II Look for them on sale because they go back and fourth between what is on sale. Pair a set of those with your choice of sub, maybe a 12" from Polk as well and it would be one heck of a banging system. If you would like something easier to move and handle Polk also offers the Monitor40, and if you are feeling frivolous there are other more high end stuff from Polk as well as other numerous manufacturers.

Btw, if you want to use it in tandem with your TV, don't forget that your amp/receiver should have a composite or HDMI.

STEvil
02-06-2011, 12:56 PM
They are generally rated at 2 or 4 ohms. Dont think i've seen any that go lower than 1.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-7980
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-746

There's a bunch more out there too, just didnt bother to link them.

Nanometer
02-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Any time I see one of those high output 2 channel amps, I swear I smell something fishy. The first amp claims it will run 1000 watt RMS, when it says the input power on the back is 550 watts. The power rating on amps in general are one of the biggest scams as far as sound systems go. Is the amp powerful enough to power a decent set of speakers? Probably. at around what I would estimate its real power at about 200 watts per channel, that should be more than enough.While car speakers can often dip to the one ohm level, home audio is a different story. Most speakers are at 8 ohms, with some going to 6.

[XC] Lead Head
02-06-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm sorry, you're doing it wrong if you need 1KW+ of power just to listen to music on a 2.1 system.

I have a set of old JBL 830 4 ohm 3-way speakers and an ancient Philips surround receiver that can maybe do 60 WPC on a good day, and it can drive those speakers loud enough that it is not bearable to stay in the room with the volume cranked.

I'd wager for 95% of home audio users, 150 WPC is more than you'll ever use, especially if you have a dedicated powered sub.

patrickadizzle
02-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Okay, thanks for the suggestions.

@Nanometer, I looked at the Monitor70 II's, very impressive and they really are leaps beyond what I currently have. But, will the receiver I have now be able to power them enough?

On newegg, I currently have two Monitor70 II's and the 12" PSW505 subwoofer in my cart right now, and the total is about ~590 which is perfect, considering the subwoofer has a power output almost twice the one I have now. But again, will the receiver (I hate this word...) 'bottleneck' the entire system? The amplifiers STEvil listed are pretty expensive.

Thanks for the help.

patrickadizzle
02-06-2011, 07:55 PM
double post, :x

[XC] Lead Head
02-06-2011, 08:10 PM
They have a sensitivity of 90db, which is pretty decent in terms of power per amount of sound. The only thing that worries me is the max listed power of 275 watts, which suggests they may need quite a bit of juice for them to sound the best, despite the decent sensitivity.

STEvil
02-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Any time I see one of those high output 2 channel amps, I swear I smell something fishy. The first amp claims it will run 1000 watt RMS, when it says the input power on the back is 550 watts. The power rating on amps in general are one of the biggest scams as far as sound systems go. Is the amp powerful enough to power a decent set of speakers? Probably. at around what I would estimate its real power at about 200 watts per channel, that should be more than enough.While car speakers can often dip to the one ohm level, home audio is a different story. Most speakers are at 8 ohms, with some going to 6.

The first one (Peavey 1600) says 400w actually, good catch since I didnt look at the fused ratings.. d'oh.

EP2000 is rated at 3.5A @ 230v, 6.7A @ 115v.

Will have to watch that a little closer now, though i've seen a few that do "rated" power for similar prices.

Nanometer
02-07-2011, 03:33 AM
Some companies are worse than others but car amps and "box systems" for home theater are by far, among the most evil when it comes to power ratings.

From what I've read, the receiver in your setup is a 5 series receiver, not the car, the 5xx series from onkyo. Does it have enough power is a question in which the answer varies between each person. I would classify those speakers in the medium tower size range, which usually does fine with a 100 watt RMS rating from a decent amp. Don't let the 275 watt power handling fool you to make you think that you need more. I would say that your receiver is barely up to the task, but on the happy side it means there's room for upgrades in the future. If I were powering those speakers I would probably want about 150 watts per channel, which is plenty loud for tower speakers.

A word of warning, the monitor70's are large. So I hope that isn't an issue.

patrickadizzle
02-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Okay, I'll probably go ahead and bite later today, and go for it.

I also have an Onkyo TX-SV909 Pro, that was given to me as a gift, and I had never used it. But reading through the specifications, it wouldn't be any different, 110 watts per channel. The only major difference I can find between the two is the THD, between 0.04 on the 909 and 0.08% on the HT-R530.

Amazing though that they paid ~$1,400 for it back in 1988, and it sort of still has some value to it though. Thing is heavier than a cement block.

STEvil
02-07-2011, 11:22 PM
The 909 might sound better. You should try them side by side and see which one sounds better.

SabreWulf69
02-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Paradigm and PSB systems are generally considered good value for money, or you can go internet direct for something like EMPTek mains, with a combo of a HSU research / Elemental Designs / Acoustic Elegance or similar subwoofers.

Personally I want in the near future for 2 channel listening a pair of KEF Q700 series to go with my Cambridge Audio Azur 740A Integrated Amplifier + PSB Subseries 5i subwoofer, that will do me fine :-)

Donnie27
02-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Okay, I'll probably go ahead and bite later today, and go for it.

I also have an Onkyo TX-SV909 Pro, that was given to me as a gift, and I had never used it. But reading through the specifications, it wouldn't be any different, 110 watts per channel. The only major difference I can find between the two is the THD, between 0.04 on the 909 and 0.08% on the HT-R530.

Amazing though that they paid ~$1,400 for it back in 1988, and it sort of still has some value to it though. Thing is heavier than a cement block.

909 for Music and HT530 for movies IMHO! For Music the 909 sounds better and is louder. In fact, you'd better have some Beefy Speakers because it is a Beast for us mere mortals.

patrickadizzle
02-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Donnie I'm not sure if I'm following you, sarcasm? :D

Donnie27
02-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Donnie I'm not sure if I'm following you, sarcasm? :D

The 909 I heard seemed like it had more Raw power for Stereo Mode = Music a plus. The HTR530 has newer 5.1/7.1 features and support but didn't seem to have as good of a Stereo Mode. Honestly, I wasn't in a listening room, it was in a 2nd Hand Electronics shop. They resale new and used equipment. I came close to getting a TX SV909 Pro myself:up:

I've heard the 909 in a good setting, but not the HT-R530.

"""All too often, home theater packages disappoint - underpowered, poorly engineered, and over-rated. Onkyo has emphatically resolved these shortcomings with the HT-S780 7.1-channel receiver/speaker package. In terms of power, the HT-R530’s seven channels (a cumulative power of 1000 watts) deliver with power and authority. But sheer power means nothing without the audio circuitry design, technology and quality parts to back it up. Just like you’ll find in Onkyo separate components, core elements - WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology), Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry, 192 kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters, a 32-bit DSP processing chip and an H.C.P.S.(High CurrentPower Supply) - provide the backbone for the home theater performance that is noticeably lacking in today’s market. Admirably supportedby the 7.1-channel speaker system (an impressive package in its own right), the HT-S780 distinguishes itself as a home theater system for the mid-to large-sized family home.""

These speakers are the ones I heard but they weren't setup correctly. 909 would instantly blow these LOL! Again though, pure 4 speaker expanded stereo and Pro Logic compared to Newer 7.1 and 5.1 for movies isn't close. Pro Logic sucks compared to either. Most of my Buds and I run separate Amps for the front channel for Pure Stereo when using most 5 or 7.1 receivers.

STEvil
02-09-2011, 06:33 PM
bleah

patrickadizzle
02-11-2011, 08:27 PM
WOW!

Nanometer, thank you so much for the suggestion on the monitor 70's, along with everyone else for the help.

I got these up and running today on the 909 Pro along with the PSW505 sub, and although I am playing them at low volumes for the first couple days, so far they sound AMAZING. The bass is overwhelming (in a good fashion)

Just wanted to share my experience with them so far :p

Donnie27
02-12-2011, 06:18 PM
WOW!

Nanometer, thank you so much for the suggestion on the monitor 70's, along with everyone else for the help.

I got these up and running today on the 909 Pro along with the PSW505 sub, and although I am playing them at low volumes for the first couple days, so far they sound AMAZING. The bass is overwhelming (in a good fashion)

Just wanted to share my experience with them so far :p

Glad it worked out great for ya'! The best system in the world is the one that sounds the best to you:up:

Nanometer
02-13-2011, 12:55 AM
I am very pleased that you are pleased. :) I do my best to stay informed on a vast amount of products so that when someone says I need help I can say "I can". I am not making a commercial to run for a government position.