PDA

View Full Version : Compression fittings vs barbs

GeorgeStorm
02-01-2011, 05:01 PM
I know this question has probably been asked many times before
But I have the choice of spending around a fiver on new fittings if I stick with 1/2 ID barbs, with 7/16 tubing.
Or I would have to spend around £35 to replace them all with compression fittings.
Is it worth it? I have been told that yes it is, and that it is also bad to put tubing on oversized barbs, yet so many people seem to do it with no problem?
Any help would be great
Thanks

Conumdrum
02-01-2011, 05:12 PM
There is NO difference in flow rates etc. Compression look better. Costs more too.

Compressions need EXACT tubing ID/OD sizes too.

jumper2high
02-01-2011, 05:13 PM
I hope this helps you some.

Pros for barbs: Cheaper, smaller 'footprint' (for same size tubing), can be less finicky to mount.
Cons of barbs: Tend to require higher force to put tubing on or remove it off. Some people find it less visually appealing, you may need to cut tubing to remove it without subjecting the underlying hardware to undue physical stress.

Pros for compression fittings: Less force required to put tubing on, less force needed to remove it. When properly tightened (by hand) you're more likely to break tubing before pulling the tubing off the fitting. They hide cut tubing and make the connection look more elegant.

Cons of compression fittings: More expensive, larger footprint (sometimes requires adapters/extenders to fit a block), can be tough on fingers (I got a total of 9 skin-deep cuts on thumbs and index fingers today working on Bitspower fittings).

You don't have to spend the extra bucks on compressions, but if the pros of Comps outweighs the cons, it's a good investment. I've disassembled and re-assembled my loop 7 times over the last year and not once have I had a leak after re-assembling during initial leak testing.

GeorgeStorm
02-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Hmm, well,
I prefer the look of barbs without clamps over compression fittings myself, and once the loop is setup, I don't intend to be taking it down anytime soon, don't have the time to mess about with my daily.

Martinm210
02-01-2011, 05:34 PM
With 7/16"ID tubing, you can even run clampless on oversized 1/2" barbs. It does take some patience/practice getting tubing on sometimes, but I find it's actually easier to do than working with large compression fittings.

There is quite a variety of compression fittings out there though and each type work a little bit differently. I personally have had leaks using compression fittings while testing where I didn't quite tighten the compression ring on enough. I prefer working with tools rather than the skin of my fingers. Barbs & Clamps are tool oriented and I like that.

Barb type also gives different results, barbs with only one single large barb are usually a bit easier to remove tubing from vs some others.

Some compression fittings also are not quite as free flowing as some regular barbs but the difference is so minor you can ignore that for the most part.

Bottom line is that it's all personal preference. Many folks like the looks of compression fittings. I personally like the looks and use of standard barbs just fine and struggle using compressions. I'm also cheap and have a hard time wanting to spend triple cost for no performance gain over regular barbs.

I'd suggest trying some of each yourself and see what you like working with better.

GeorgeStorm
02-01-2011, 05:37 PM
That's the main issue here, cost.
My original plan was to run 7/16 tubing over 1/2 barbs clampless.
I don't mind struggling to get tubing on, just means I know it's no coming off anytime soon :p

Sparky
02-01-2011, 05:39 PM
I won't buy compressions out of principle. They cost way too darn much :p:

But also, they won't fit my CPU block (dtek fuzion) nor my GPU block (MCW60) without some spacers or goofy looking 45s or whatever, and that adds even more cost.

I'll stick with my dtek barbs TYVM :D

What I've noticed is I can get 7/16" ID tubing off the Dtek barbs without too much struggle, but I could not get it off the Bitspower/Dangerden fatboys. But even with smaller tubing on larger barbs, I still refuse to run without clamps. Just asking for trouble, IMO.

GeorgeStorm
02-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Well, atm, I have a couple of barbs without clamps, a couple using smaller tubing (7/16 I think) and one using 1/2 tubing, because the clamp squeezed the tubing slightly actually causing a leak :p
Will obviously test it all thoroughly to make sure :)

Johnny87au
02-01-2011, 10:59 PM
7/16 on 1/2 barbs you dont need clamps trust me, I remember the day when i bought a kit from petras which included some DD fatboys and man i had to heat up the tubing just to get the sucker off, Compressions imo are better but then again i use them for aesthetics more then anything.. Personal preference tbh..

m_jones_
02-01-2011, 11:55 PM
EK 1/2 barbs don't work that well 7/16 tubing, i found that they slipped off.

Fatfool
02-02-2011, 12:51 AM
I won't buy compressions out of principle. They cost way too darn much :p:

But also, they won't fit my CPU block (dtek fuzion) nor my GPU block (MCW60) without some spacers or goofy looking 45s or whatever, and that adds even more cost.

I'll stick with my dtek barbs TYVM :D

What I've noticed is I can get 7/16" ID tubing off the Dtek barbs without too much struggle, but I could not get it off the Bitspower/Dangerden fatboys. But even with smaller tubing on larger barbs, I still refuse to run without clamps. Just asking for trouble, IMO.
Actually they do.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Fatfool/Liquid%20cooling%20Clean%20up/CleanupP1020941.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Fatfool/Liquid%20cooling%20Clean%20up/CleanupP1020939.jpg
See. I have a comp and a rotary (the rotary is larger than the comp anyway) on it.

jumper2high
02-02-2011, 02:57 AM
I prefer working with tools rather than the skin of my fingers.

I'm starting to think in the same direction - after yesterday's teardown, I could count 8-9 cuts and scratches from trying to deal with a stubborn compression fitting.

Do you happen to know if Enzotech compressions are a little less 'sharp' in the criss-cross pattern on the outside of the compression ring?

Fatfool
02-02-2011, 03:05 AM
just as sharp. I'd say the quality and dimensions and texture are very similar to bitspower.

Quagmire LXIX
02-02-2011, 03:48 AM
That's the main issue here, cost.
My original plan was to run 7/16 tubing over 1/2 barbs clampless.
I don't mind struggling to get tubing on, just means I know it's no coming off anytime soon :p

7/16 over 1/2 barbs is what I settled on. I do put a black plastic clamp over the cut edge for asthetics and piece of mind, but they don't need to be there.

They aren't that hard to get on for me as there are 2 tricks, I'm sure we all know about hot water loosening the tube, but lately I've found that pushing one of those plastic stoppers (threaded part only) you get with rads into the end of the tubing and leave it like that for a bit really opens up the mouth of the tubing and makes it way easier to get on.

Metroid
02-02-2011, 04:00 AM
I prefer the look of barbs without clamps.

I prefer compression fittings concerning the look.

I recommend for paranoia users to use barbs with clamps if you value your time and money.

Kal-EL
02-02-2011, 04:39 AM
1/2 barbs with 7/16 tubing always worked well for me. Color matched zip ties for insurance if needed ;)

matari
02-02-2011, 05:20 AM
If you are a first time water cooler, then stick with the basics. Compression fittings can be a pain to install corretly. Even I have thought about going back to barbs.

GeorgeStorm
02-02-2011, 05:23 AM
Well, this will be me redoing my loop, tis running now with barbs and clamps with 1/2 tubing mainly.
Will be ordering later today then, hopefully get it all done at the weekend, will post pics methinks :)

Btw, how much tubing should I get?
Loop is:
XSPC bay res >> EK DCP-4 >> MCR320 >> ek x58-ud5 nb block >> ek hf >> ek mosfet block >> ek mosfet block >> res

And would that pump cope with another rad/gpu block?

matari
02-02-2011, 06:00 AM
I always order 10 feet. That should be enough to last you for at least a year. It sucks when you clean your stuff and your favorite tubing is sold out or no longer sold. Besides, if you order small amounts vendors sometimes will send ya the end of a wheel of tubing. No one wants that.

Sparky
02-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Actually they do.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Fatfool/Liquid%20cooling%20Clean%20up/CleanupP1020941.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Fatfool/Liquid%20cooling%20Clean%20up/CleanupP1020939.jpg
See. I have a comp and a rotary (the rotary is larger than the comp anyway) on it.

What size OD tubing? Maybe the enzo fittings are not as bulky as bitspower. Interesting.

I still won't do it because of cost :p:

Fatfool
02-02-2011, 07:43 AM
What size OD tubing? Maybe the enzo fittings are not as bulky as bitspower. Interesting.

I still won't do it because of cost :p:
The OD is 3/8"

The rotary is enzotech but the comp is feser. Feser comps are pretty cheap but not aesthetically pleasing. Don't touch their rotaries though.

GeorgeStorm
02-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Went for 4m of XSPC 7/16 clear blue tubing :)
Also got some other bits and pieces.
Case arrived today, I like it more in person, hopefully rest of it arrives tomorrow/friday so I can get it all setup ASAP :D

Holst
02-02-2011, 12:54 PM
I prefer compression fittings concerning the look.

I recommend for paranoia users to use barbs with clamps if you value your time and money.

If your using 7/16" barbs and 1/2" tube then you are better off without clamps.
Clamps can squeeze the tube and cause leaks.

7/16" goes onto 1/2" barbs pretty easily but it can be a bugger to get off.
I tend to cut mine off and leave a b it extra length on tubes I think I may want to remove a few times.

The only real advantage to compressions is the looks.
They are more complicated to install.
Hard to use (cut your fingers)
More likely to leak (if installed incorrectly or wrong tubing is used)
Much more expensive

Im sticking with my fatboy barbs :D

Sparky
02-02-2011, 12:57 PM
The OD is 3/8"

The rotary is enzotech but the comp is feser. Feser comps are pretty cheap but not aesthetically pleasing. Don't touch their rotaries though.

Well that's why you can use compressions. I have 7/16" ID 5/8" OD, and compressions for that size won't fit the fuzion.

Fatfool
02-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Well that's why you can use compressions. I have 7/16" ID 5/8" OD, and compressions for that size won't fit the fuzion.
And that's why I use smaller sized tubing :D

Fatfool
02-02-2011, 09:11 PM
The only real advantage to compressions is the looks.
They are more complicated to install.
Hard to use (cut your fingers)
More likely to leak (if installed incorrectly or wrong tubing is used)
Much more expensive

Im sticking with my fatboy barbs :D

I don't know why it's that hard to find correct sized tubing. Unless you go for some no name ones, the ID and OD are clearly stated.

Church
02-02-2011, 09:58 PM
It's much easier to screw compression fittings and protect skin on fingers if one uses plain & cheap rubber household gloves one can buy in lot of places.

Frag_Lord
02-02-2011, 10:25 PM
7/16' primochill with 1/2' EK barbs + zip tie FTW. Cheap and does the trick. I hate the bulky look of compression fittings and all the damn rotary and extension fittings people use. It just makes the loop look ugly imo.

Johnny87au
02-02-2011, 10:37 PM
7/16' primochill with 1/2' EK barbs + zip tie FTW. Cheap and does the trick. I hate the bulky look of compression fittings and all the damn rotary and extension fittings people use. It just makes the loop look ugly imo.

qft! Good old days using masterkeeler 7/16 with 1/2 DD fatboys..:up:

k0rnh0li0
02-02-2011, 10:46 PM
compression fittings are for looks. how they leak is very unsuspecting. even as much as you screw it down. one thing i know about compression fittings is that sometimes they cover up the other waterblock mounting hole but most people see to get by it.

barbs FTW no clamps or zipties

Martinm210
02-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Some pics....

Waterlogged
02-02-2011, 10:54 PM
qft! Good old days using masterkeeler 7/16 with 1/2 DD fatboys..:up:

IDK, good old days for me was when everybody used DD highflows...with the 9/16" threads. :rofl:

Fatfool
02-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Some pics....
The Feser has exactly the same design as the bitspower, only that the machining isn't as good!

Johnny87au
02-04-2011, 05:07 PM
IDK, good old days for me was when everybody used DD highflows...with the 9/16" threads. :rofl:

lol Ancient history right there WL :rofl:

Waterlogged
02-04-2011, 08:23 PM
lol Ancient history right there WL :rofl:

Well, I was on DD's forums for about 3 years before I joined here.:p: