PDA

View Full Version : Chipset Cooling?

kchip
08-26-2002, 08:40 AM
My VIA 333 Northbridge runs kinda hot ( 38-40C ) What is the best HSF ( in your opinion ) for cooling it? My specs below.

JBELL
08-26-2002, 10:11 AM
cooljag 1u coolers would be best.

Charles Wirth
08-26-2002, 11:43 AM
That thermaltake chipset cooler is kinda tall, but does a good job.

The original tape works, but I suggest using a real thermal compound.

Silversink
09-06-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by JBELL
cooljag 1u coolers would be best.

//Shakes head//

Watercooling is optimal and the Cooljag is about the second best alternative :smileysex

JBELL
09-06-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Silversink

//Shakes head//

Watercooling is optimal and the Cooljag is about the second best alternative :smileysex

he posted in an air cool thread ..... not h2o :stick: :toast: :flame:

Silversink
09-06-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by JBELL

he posted in an air cool thread ..... not h2o :stick: :toast: :flame:

Smartass :stick:

JBELL
09-06-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Silversink

Smartass :stick:

hehehe you know it!!! but I DID answer him with best option - that I learned from you buddy.. hey jump on icq...

Smizack
09-06-2002, 11:21 PM
I use a blue orb. Very effective for a NB.

CrawlingEye
10-03-2002, 10:02 AM
What would be best for a small hsf for the nb?

Don't mean to thread pirate, but I figure why post a new thread when this one suffices?

I'm thinking a vantec copper. Any other ideas? Thanks.

steel102
10-06-2002, 10:07 AM
yeah, check out the vantec iceberq copper, or the tt CrORB..

Yodums
10-07-2002, 07:47 AM
I prefer to use the stock cooler lapped with Arctic Silver II for mine. If you don't have the balls to use Arctic Silver II, use Arctic Alumina which isn't capactive nor conductive. The CoolJag's, Corbs etc may have to use adhesive because their clips don't align with the motherboard and it can be very messy and not reversable that's why I don't do that. Also, those CoolJag's are 20 bucks and I think it's sort of a waste when Arctic Silver will most likely bring down the temps 5+ degrees from a generic pad or a dab of paste and lapping will greatly improve the temps because the chipset has a small bump and get the best out of it instead of your paste doing the job.

CrawlingEye
10-07-2002, 10:03 AM
I was going to use the vantec iceberg copper, as previously stated. As for my "modding balls" I'm going to be undergoing the first "hardcore AC" ramsink mod, which will include enough copper to sink a battleship and plenty of air (80CFM).

I'm just curious in the gains of it and so forth. I guess for $12 it's worth a try.

AMD Fan
10-11-2002, 09:15 AM
Zalman Northbridge cooler with a 50mm fan you add on. This
cooler will work even if your add on fan malfuntions. With a
fan of coarse it cools much better than its original design.
I got a 50mm sunon fan on top of mine fits perfectly.
exact name Zalman ZM-NB32J its 8.00$ US Frozen CPU has it

Tweaked!
10-12-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by AMD Fan

Welcome to Xtreme!:) And just so's I'm not beating around the bush, Wanna join our folding team???:stick:

Dissolved
10-25-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by AMD Fan

Thats what im going to try. www.case-mod.com has it for 5.99

Justintoxicated
11-18-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Dissolved
Thats what im going to try. www.case-mod.com has it for 5.99

Thats what im using now...My entire system on my epox8k3a+ was unstable before i added teh zalman...now my NB is at about 22C idle and the system is compleatly stable...I dont even have a fan attached like i had on the stock NB sink...definately worth 6$...next time i may try the Crystal orb though since it seems to be nice and heavy and copper :) I actualy have a Crystal orb i could test but the zalman seems to be doing a great job...make sure after you get the screws ont he bottem in teh right position that your tighten them well because i had to pull my entire MB out after my first install because one of the screws got a little lose while installing it...Kept the thermal epoxy and used AS3 instead..

WinXP
11-18-2002, 10:09 PM
I ordered 2 of them today to see how the did for northbridge cooling.

Dissolved
11-18-2002, 10:21 PM
im at 29c (23c room) with a low cfm 80mm fan on top. corse my case is ripped apart and my mobo is laying on my desk, but still pretty good :)

jer
11-20-2002, 02:08 PM
i use a zalman as well. i have it passive, with a 92mm fan duct blowing cold air from the front of the case on it and the base of my slk-800 which sucks air up into the the exhaust path of my 2 120mm exhaust fans.. lol

-jer

WinXP
11-20-2002, 02:22 PM
Just install my zalman I recieved today an when removing the cooler off my Epox, the tape they used was only touching about 1/16" around they outside edge of the northbridge. No where never the center portion was it touching. I just put white thermal paste on the zalman an installed it, has to be cooling it better now. The board went to 220fsb with the Epox cooler so I doubt it will go higher but it got to be cooler.

KnightElite
11-20-2002, 05:25 PM
http://homepage.usask.ca/~kdh349/NB-hsfs.jpg

I'm going to put the second one from the right on my northbridge. It's a K6-2 cooler. The one furthest left is the stock cooler, the one furthest to the right is a really big Athlon cooler, I'd need to trim it down quite substantially if I wanted to fit that sucker on my northbridge.

calikev
11-20-2002, 10:37 PM
Zalman make decent passive coolers... attatch a 40mm fan and you should be set...
http://www.excess-solutions.com/12vdc_fans.htm

BTW... KnightElite... nice seeing ya on the forum... You were a damn good moderator at the hardforums...

KnightElite
11-21-2002, 12:20 PM
Thanks calikev. Good to know I'm appreciated ;).

Justintoxicated
11-21-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by WinXP
Just install my zalman I recieved today an when removing the cooler off my Epox, the tape they used was only touching about 1/16" around they outside edge of the northbridge. No where never the center portion was it touching. I just put white thermal paste on the zalman an installed it, has to be cooling it better now. The board went to 220fsb with the Epox cooler so I doubt it will go higher but it got to be cooler.

I hear that my 89k3a_+ stock coooler had the crap tape too...One day the HS fell off and landed on my vido card (luckily the GF4 survived)

calikev
11-21-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by KnightElite
Thanks calikev. Good to know I'm appreciated ;).

Yeah no problem... one of the few people that actually tried to help people no matter how dense they were.. noobs... if people only knew how to use the search button!!!!!!

kchip
11-22-2002, 05:47 AM
I cant beleive this thread is still alive , I dont even have the Epox anymore./ lol : )

I went with H20 btw. 25 C now