PDA

View Full Version : good beginner parts

chas1723
01-30-2011, 12:14 AM
Ok....I am looking to maybe get into liquid cooling. I know I need a block for the cpu and gpu as well as a radiator, pump and resevoir. My current system is a amd 955 at 3.7ghz and a amd 6950. My case is a HAF 922 I was looking at the swiftec XT for the cpu and the new gpu block from swiftec when it comes out. What are some good radiators, pumps and reservoirs? Any help would be appreciated. I may just go with the gpu first and add stuff for the cpu later. What do you think?

PatRaceTin
01-30-2011, 05:46 AM
choose between Full Cover VGA Block and Universal VGA Block (with passive cooling on VRAM & VRM area)

shazza
01-30-2011, 06:05 AM
Sounds like you have a bit more research to do before purchasing your parts. A good place to start would be the worklog section where you can see what current products people are using. Another thing to do would be to google HAF 922 water cooling and variations, so you can see how people are setting up the HAF 922 case for water cooling. I'd also suggest you check out the information sticky at the top of this page for directions on putting things together.

I think it's a good idea to start with water cooling only one component if this is your first time. If the GPU is the noisiest, then that would be a good choice. As to which water block to choose ... it's really a matter of budget and personal preference. Just make sure you get one that is designed to fit your specific video card.

As for the CPU waterblock ... the XT is a good block, but you can actually spend less money for a block for your 955 CPU. These don't run as hot as the Intel I7s (for example) and you can get good cooling with less expensive blocks. The key is to pick a block that comes with the proper mounting hardware for your AMD CPU.

For radiator(s) and pump, I'd recommend you look at the Swiftech products ... very good bang for your buck for the radiators. You would be fine with something like the MCP 355 pump.

One of the most important components to think about are the fans for the radiator ...

Good Luck with your project. Don't hesitate to ask questions, and you will find people more likely to help if you put up a specific list of products. Also, let us know what your goal is ... silence, overclocking, ???

chas1723
01-30-2011, 10:22 AM
I have started reading other threads and can tell this is going to take some time to learn. So many different ways to do things. I have time as I have yet to see the swiftec full water block on any retail website. I was probably going to run some gentle typhoons on the rad(s).

jspace
01-30-2011, 07:08 PM
It seems like an uphill battle at first, but trust me: spend the time to read and do things properly. It will reduce headaches and eventually you will want to watercool every machine you own! (And maybe some you don't :D)

matari
01-30-2011, 10:21 PM
I spent 3 months reading guides on several sites before I took the plunge the first time. Even then I made a few mistakes. Take your time. By the way what is your budget? You need 250 - 350 usd for a custome CPU setup.

matari
01-30-2011, 10:38 PM
It seems like an uphill battle at first, but trust me: spend the time to read and do things properly. It will reduce headaches and eventually you will want to watercool every machine you own! (And maybe some you don't :D)

One day my wife and I are watching TV. I was looking at the TV with smirk on my face.

Wife says, "Don't think about it."

Huh!? think about what?

Wife says, "You're not water cooling the TV."

Lol.

Conumdrum
01-31-2011, 03:54 AM
Ok....I am looking to maybe get into liquid cooling. I know I need a block for the cpu and gpu as well as a radiator, pump and resevoir. My current system is a amd 955 at 3.7ghz and a amd 6950. My case is a HAF 922 I was looking at the swiftec XT for the cpu and the new gpu block from swiftec when it comes out. What are some good radiators, pumps and reservoirs? Any help would be appreciated. I may just go with the gpu first and add stuff for the cpu later. What do you think?

Lots of good input here. Yea lots to learn even though it's such a basic concept.:up:

Here is my post I made last year for a guy, it applies to you too. Lots and lots of links you really need to read and dig into. You should bookmark them. Took me three months to buy my first WC part once I got interested.:clap:

Ultimately, your frustration of not knowing and your questions will be much less the more you know. And if you do well or fail miserably. I have seen it many times across the spectrum. Where will YOU end up?:welcome:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Conumdrum
01-31-2011, 03:57 AM
I have started reading other threads and can tell this is going to take some time to learn. So many different ways to do things. I have time as I have yet to see the swiftec full water block on any retail website. I was probably going to run some gentle typhoons on the rad(s).

Retail websites. Yep, you just need info, here ya go.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645051

Home thread for stores. My home forum BTW.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628092