PDA

View Full Version : Water cooling GTX580?

aussie-revhead
01-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Guys, Im looking at extracting some more power from my Galaxy GTX580, I wasnt going to water cool it as I never hold onto hardware long enough but Im thinking of going with an MCW80, that way I could most likely use it with other gpus in the future, is this a good idea on a GTX580? Will it help my temps? I have an Eheim 1250, BIX3, EK Supreme HF, Swiftech Micro-res in the loop atm.

Any help would be great.

:up:

CedricFP
01-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Assuming the MCW80 fits, you'll see far better temps on the core than with the stock cooler, and it should help you with overclocking, particularly if you play with some voltage (lightly).

However, you'll need to sink your VRM's / memory chips. Well, maybe need is a strong word, but it is highly recommended to.

With that said, I ran my 88GTX naked on memory for over a year overclocked to its highest. Never any problems.

aussie-revhead
01-24-2011, 12:22 AM
I was looking at using the base of the original cooler as here (http://hwbot.org/community/submission/1076096_), that will do the job.

:up:

CedricFP
01-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Then yes, the waterblock would curb temps and possibly allow for a higher OC. Certainly better temps than the stock cooler.

aussie-revhead
01-24-2011, 12:54 AM
OK MCW60 or MCW80? What about a crazy air cooling solution as I linked above? Wrong section I know but its an option, particularly as its on a tech bench and I have about 16cm of room for a cooler.

:)

CedricFP
01-24-2011, 01:08 AM
OK MCW60 or MCW80? What about a crazy air cooling solution as I linked above? Wrong section I know but its an option, particularly as its on a tech bench and I have about 16cm of room for a cooler.

:)

I can't speak for the modded tower cooler in the HWbot link - but as far as temps go, you'll likely see not much of a difference between the MCW60 and the MCW80, assuming both fit your GTX580. The MCW80 does have a more complex and dense pin matrix meaning better cooling but also perhaps greater flow restriction (guessing) than the MCW60.

Either way, with a waterblock - the MCW60 or MCW80 - temperatures are unlikely to be your limiting factor in OC. Voltage is.

aussie-revhead
01-24-2011, 01:16 AM
Thats cool, is there a vmod for these yet ? I can get more juice with a bios flash right? Extra 0.1v or so?