PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins. i7 950, gtx470 sli, 700D going under

morencyam
01-20-2011, 09:42 PM
I have been planning on putting together my first water coooling loop for the past month or two. I'll be cooling an i7 950 4ghz and an OC'ed GTX470, with future plans to upgrade to sli. I've done hours of thread reading and part searching, building up my cart little by little but have yet to buy anything, until now.

For christmas I received a $35 newegg gift card, but had no idea what I was going to get with it(first time I have ever had this problem). I found the mcr655, finally in stock, for $84 after shipping, plus the gift card, so essentially I got it for $50 shipped.

Attached is a screenshot of my current cart, un-purchased. I'm currently in the process saving up funds to make one bulk order to save on shipping costs. Along with everything there, the mcr655 pump from newegg, the LUND PomPlex resevoir I'm purchasing from ChilledPC UK, and some distilled water, I should have everything I need.

There are a few mods I am going to make to the case before i start the loop.
1. I have to mod the top of the case to fir the 480 radiator, which I'll probably cut with a dremel, then file it the rest of the way. The cut doesn't have to look perfect since it's going to be covered by the Phobya radiator grill anyway, but i still want it to look halfway decent.
2. I'm going to enclose the PSU bay with a piece I cut from the spare 700D side panel I have. Drill a few small holes in the side of the divider, tap it, and secure it with some black 4-40 screws.
3. I was thinking about cutting a front fan intake to get some extra fresh air pumped into the case. If not, then I could get a 5.25" drive bay fan and throw another wing 12 in there
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21092
4. Not a mod, but still something to think about. Is it worth it to get some yate loons to put in pull and have the gelids pushing? My main concern is motherboard clearance. The X-Changer is slightly thicker than the RX480 and I've seen pictures with that rad with push/pull and it's cutting it awfully close
Any suggestions or tips are much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I'll update with pics and mods regularly when anything new happens.