PDA

View Full Version : How much rad will I need?

cityofglass88
01-17-2011, 03:57 AM
Things are getting closer to me getting my system together and under water. Looking for advice on how much radiator I will need.

HW ATM: i7 970 and 5970.

I probably will not put the 5970 under water. I am realling looking to trying to sell the 5970 and get a pair of 570s, 580s. So, I am planning the loop the support 580 sli and the 970.

Going to be running everything in a TJ07. I have my eyes on a RX480 and a RX120 in a single loop with a MCP655. Would this be enough?

I plan on housing all the rads in the lower portion of the case. Does anyone have any suggestions and or recommendations on these rads? Are the better alternatices (that maybe are not so costly, but still preform extremely well?)

Mydog
01-17-2011, 04:21 AM
I would say that a 480 + a 120 should be enough running stock or light OC with good fans. You might go for two 360 and get a little more headroom for OC.

Gamb311
01-17-2011, 04:27 AM
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmcqupo4xbl.html
Swiftech MCR420- throw some 1850rpm Gentle Typhoons on it. I use some low rpm yate loons at like 9v on this rad and with what I'm using (i7 920 at 4.0ghz 1.28v with Apogee XT waterblock, 2 gtx 280 cards with EK blocks) on one loop my temps are looking good. GPUs idle high 20's load up to 40/45 max in games. CPU idle at 27 not sure load. Just threw this together.

edit: if I was going to get some 580's maybe add another rad like a double/triple rad? Not familiar with TJ07 case

cityofglass88
01-17-2011, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. The problem comes into play with space. I was really looking to keeping all the rads in the lower portion. I don't have he case yet so I am not sure how craped with will be. I can only imagine it is going to be a right fit for the 480, 120, ax1200, and a pump down there.

Gamb311
01-17-2011, 04:39 AM
stick with the rx480 or thermochill TA120.4. I was just trying to save some duckets. Both are thicker rads, I'd probably want them if I was running 580's.

One_Hertz
01-17-2011, 06:19 AM
Just FYI, I have a 2600k at 4.8 and a gtx480 at 900mhz on one loop with two triple rads using six 1400rpm fans. The delta for my water is around 5-6C. Adding another gtx would be a few more degrees I guess, so with two triple rads and 1400rpm fans you would be looking at approximately 8C delta from water to air.

theseeker
01-17-2011, 06:47 AM
I have a i7 965 @4.4 and two 295' s with a quad Feser and no problems. It fits nicely in the bottom of the TJ07.

zalbard
01-17-2011, 07:46 AM
So, I am planning the loop the support 580 sli and the 970.

Going to be running everything in a TJ07. I have my eyes on a RX480 and a RX120 in a single loop with a MCP655. Would this be enough?
Definitely enough. No great temps, but should support a decent OC.

cityofglass88
01-17-2011, 09:38 PM
This has been my suspicion. Thanks everyone for the replies.

I am sure it is considering I cannot put the x-power under water, but the one pump would provide more than enough current for the loop, correct?

I might just make a new thread for this one, but I have some questions for anyone that has experience with the aquaero and similar OS based fan controllers,
1. Are there any other good OS based fan controllers?
2. Ill be using the 655, 4 fans for the 480 rad, 1 for the 120, and two case fans. I would probably have to buy a power adjust to handle all the fans, huh?

Johnny87au
01-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. The problem comes into play with space. I was really looking to keeping all the rads in the lower portion. I don't have he case yet so I am not sure how craped with will be. I can only imagine it is going to be a right fit for the 480, 120, ax1200, and a pump down there.

Any Quad rad such as XSPC/PA/MCR will serve you great for the build you've posted, assuming your using decent fans such as some GT 1850s.. For everything overclocked 420+240 is more then enough ;)

cityofglass88
01-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Yeah. I have been comparing reviews on a lot of 480 rads and it seems like the rx beats most everything, while there is a relatively small price difference between most of them ($30 or so).

Johnny87au
01-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Well that is true, XSPC are the king of Silent but really depends on what fans your going to use will suit the rad your using.. You see XSPC runs better with quieter fans whilst the PA with a tiny bit higher and so on and so on..

SlowSVT
01-18-2011, 12:39 AM
Hmmmmmm

I'm getting nervous. To add to the discussion.

I'm finishing up my Corsair 800D build and wonder if my cooling circuit will be adequate.

I have a I7 950 with an EK HF block, an Asus Rampage III Formula with the new Koolance chipset cooler and now I've added a block to my nVidia Quadro 2000 GPU which adds another 62 watts to the loop (everything is in parallel) and a Swiftech 655 pump, 1/2" lines throughout. For cooling I have a Black Ice 360 rad with (3) 120x38mm 140 cfm Delta fans in a pull config with a 1/2" spacer between the fans and the exhaust grill. All the hex grill was cut out and replaced with 1x1/2" wire mesh. I have (2) 120x38mm 180 cfm delta fan pressurizing the chassis which will be forced up thru the rad (most of the gaps inside the MB area are sealed with black RTV). Fan controller is a Lamptron FC5 R2. The system will be mildly overclocked to 4 gigs. With just the CPU and the chipset cooler I thought I would be OK but at the last minute I added a Quadro GPU card to the mix which may be pushing it.

I'm seeing a lot of guys running 480 or dual rads. My chassis should move a lot of air and I have that thick fine finned radiator but I'm concerned I will need to add another rad. Do you think my system will cool adequately?

cityofglass88
01-18-2011, 12:50 AM
Just the single 360, I think, might be pushing it particularly if you really get to overclocking.

My suggestion, stick with the 360 for now and see how it goes. There is plenty of room in the lower bay in front of the PSU for a 120.

Johnny87au
01-18-2011, 03:48 AM
Hmmmmmm

I'm getting nervous. To add to the discussion.

I'm finishing up my Corsair 800D build and wonder if my cooling circuit will be adequate.

I have a I7 950 with an EK HF block, an Asus Rampage III Formula with the new Koolance chipset cooler and now I've added a block to my nVidia Quadro 2000 GPU which adds another 62 watts to the loop (everything is in parallel) and a Swiftech 655 pump, 1/2" lines throughout. For cooling I have a Black Ice 360 rad with (3) 120x38mm 140 cfm Delta fans in a pull config with a 1/2" spacer between the fans and the exhaust grill. All the hex grill was cut out and replaced with 1x1/2" wire mesh. I have (2) 120x38mm 180 cfm delta fan pressurizing the chassis which will be forced up thru the rad (most of the gaps inside the MB area are sealed with black RTV). Fan controller is a Lamptron FC5 R2. The system will be mildly overclocked to 4 gigs. With just the CPU and the chipset cooler I thought I would be OK but at the last minute I added a Quadro GPU card to the mix which may be pushing it.

I'm seeing a lot of guys running 480 or dual rads. My chassis should move a lot of air and I have that thick fine finned radiator but I'm concerned I will need to add another rad. Do you think my system will cool adequately?

Absoulately fine, Which gpu you running is it a 2xx nvidia card? If so then you have no problems, most people now a days using quad rads because there either SLI 570s or 580s which are quite hot.. Seeing as your using high RPM 38mm fans you are fine! I'd say adding anything else to the loop such as a high end GPU might need more more fan such as push/pull for extra optimization or extra rad surface :up:

SlowSVT
01-18-2011, 08:51 AM
Absoulately fine, Which gpu you running is it a 2xx nvidia card? If so then you have no problems, most people now a days using quad rads because there either SLI 570s or 580s which are quite hot.. Seeing as your using high RPM 38mm fans you are fine! I'd say adding anything else to the loop such as a high end GPU might need more more fan such as push/pull for extra optimization or extra rad surface :up:

Cool

This is what I was hoping to hear. No, I only have one video card.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-quadro-2000-us.html

Probably the only water cooled mid-level nVidia CAD graphics card in existence. I milled out at copper cold plate and mounting an EK VGA Supreme block to it (will post pics later). I use SolidWorks and the nVidia Quadro allow you to enable "Real View' graphics which is stunning! I got tired for crashing my old system so I built this one which should have more then enough horse power.

I just hope I can throttle back the fans so I can't hear it over my vacuum cleaner. I did a lot of work on this chassis to maximize the airflow with some pretty novel things done to it. The 800D is a very nice design but I would have done a few things differently (loosing all that hex grill was one of them). What's with the hot swappable drive bays? :shrug:

Johnny87au
01-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Cool

This is what I was hoping to hear. No, I only have one video card.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-quadro-2000-us.html

Probably the only water cooled mid-level nVidia CAD graphics card in existence. I milled out at copper cold plate and mounting an EK VGA Supreme block to it (will post pics later). I use SolidWorks and the nVidia Quadro allow you to enable "Real View' graphics which is stunning! I got tired for crashing my old system so I built this one which should have more then enough horse power.

I just hope I can throttle back the fans so I can't hear it over my vacuum cleaner. I did a lot of work on this chassis to maximize the airflow with some pretty novel things done to it. The 800D is a very nice design but I would have done a few things differently (loosing all that hex grill was one of them). What's with the hot swappable drive bays? :shrug:

oh nice Quadro, What kind of work do you do if you dont mind me asking? That card wont even produce much heat so your configuration is good to go! For the fans just hook them up to a fan controller, i'd use the 2 in 1 splitter with 30cm extensions so you have enough cable and just run them lower depending on how much load you need..

SlowSVT
01-19-2011, 03:38 PM
oh nice Quadro, What kind of work do you do if you dont mind me asking? That card wont even produce much heat so your configuration is good to go! For the fans just hook them up to a fan controller, i'd use the 2 in 1 splitter with 30cm extensions so you have enough cable and just run them lower depending on how much load you need..

I package of all things........Electronics :rofl:

Mainly communication equipment, SATCOM stuff, microwave antenna's and "in-motion" petitioners and military equipment.

I have designed equipment deployed in harsh environments with lots of thermal issues but this is my first foray into liquid cooling (I started my build in November and have leaned much from you guys which will carry over into my job. There are a lot of smart and intelligent guys on this site and I read these posts with much enthusiasm. I have a total appreciation for what is involved with Skinnee’s testing reports and know how tedious and the level of detail is required to arrive at a fairly accurate assessment of these systems (I have spent many an hour in testing labs, vibe tables and anechoic chambers). He has certainly earned the respect of many people here as others have. Even with all my experience there is always much to be leaned from others…….who knows maybe I will submit some equipment for him to evaluate….for a fee of course.

The nVidia Quadro cards are not very good at replicating dynamic motion as some of the gamer cards can but are very good a delivering high definition CAD graphics. These cards are expensive and some employers stick the engineer with a Dell box with lots of ram but don’t have an appreciation for how a good CAD graphics card and how it makes designing on a computer much more enjoyable. Once you stuff one of the graphics cards in the slot there is no going back. It is soo cool taking a complex assembly and rotating it on the screen and seeing all the shadowing and reflections that takes place. The look totally “real”.

When I’m done I gunna benchmark my box against other machines where CAD users pair-off and I think my box will score pretty high. My next task is the familiarize myself with overclocking so I have some semblance of what I’m doing without crashing my system or burning up the hardware :D